[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Athletes Should be Paid?

no one

Should college athletes be paid for playing football and other sports?

Is the free degree and the honor of playing college ball enough?

The athletes bring in a lot of money for the college, shouldn’t the players get some back.

College has gotten harder to complete over the year, with studies, classes, and sports the time is getting short to complete all these tasks.

This would help keep agents out of the players hair as well.

The athletes would not need a job on top of everything else to get by.

I don't that think that college athletes should get a dime. No one has to go to college. If its too difficult to play sports and attend classes, drop the sport or don't go to college. If you don't like the idea of the university making some cash off of your performance, don't go to college. A scholarship means that someone is paying the freight for you to go to school. I don't see it as any type of compensation.

Besides, only a very small percentage of college athletes generate revenue for their schools. How would you dole out the money? (Where would you get the money in the first place?) Would it depend on whether the particular sport actually generated revenue for the particular college? Not many do. Would a fourth stringer who never leaves the bench get as much as the All-American? Would an All-American at the University of Michigan get more money that the All-American at Slippery Rock? Would the large schools that make the revenue have to support the colleges that don't?

What about women athletes? Would they get paid. You better if you do not want to run afoul of the law. But how many women's sports program generate revenue?

If you have to give all of the college athletes the same amount of money, you'd have a hard time getting each of them more than a couple hundred bucks.

Has anyone seen a reasonable, feasible plan to pay college athletes?

I was a college athlete and I agree 100% with the good Doktor. Going to college is a choice. Playing a sport in college is a choice. For some of these kids, college wouldn't even be an option if it weren't for their athletic ability. I think the opportunity to excel is enough. In life we make choices and with every positive we get out of those choices there come sacrifices.

No.

You should be attending college for an education. The athlete attending college on an athletic scholarship has the advantage of free schooling. He should be looking at his athletic scholarship as an opportunity to get a free education NOT as an opportunity to make money or advance into the professional leagues.

Just as we don't pay students on an academic scholarship we should not pay students on an athletic scholarship.

Unfortunately there is way TOO MUCH emphasis on athletics at both the collegiate and high school levels. This is the real problem.

I have always maintained that if you really wanted to stop college athletes from cheating, i.e. getting paid under the table, then the consequences for cheating should be applied at the individual level. Quite obviously the college can not control the alumni. But you can make the consequences of accepting money very severe for the student athlete. Something like ... if you get caught taking money (or whatever) then your NCAA athletic career is over, forever. Note, not just at the college in question ... but his eligibility at ANY college would be revoked.

I voted yes but it really does not matter since many are probably being "paid" already.

Have you heard some of these guys speak when interviewed? If the college really cared about their education wouldn't they have them take an English class? The answer is of course the college would but they don't which means the colleges care as little about the education as the athletes themselves. That probably means that the athletes are there to generate revenue for the schools.

I'm not talking about the cross country team or the womens's badmitton team but the major sports. And yes, I'd argue guys like Robert Smith are the exceptions that prove the rule. Of course this is just the opinion of someone not good enough at any sport to get past the high school level.

No, they should not be paid......

if you don't want to accept a scholarship and potentially be one of those .0001% that make money for the university then don't go. Go ahead and see how high a high schooler goes in the nfl draft if you don't wanna go to college

Absolutely not! Many of the scholarship programs are being funded by tax payers that have no interest in the athletic ability of a prize quarterback who barely has the true ability to sign his name. I see sports in college as a bonus to the education. If a player is already on scholarship with my dollars, I'll be ****ed if I should have to pay him some more by way of higher ticket prices etc. Granted..a small percentage of the athletes are actually revenue generating...Great..They have started to pay me back. I wish they would just say "Thank You" and go on their way.

Yes they should get stipends to balance the lack of $$ you're able to make as a student athlete. A regular student can make as much money as they want throughout the year and not get penalized, not so with the student athlete. Most schools make a mint for more than just their Atheletic Depts. from major sports.

The constraints put on college student athletes more than makes up for the so called free education they're getting. Though I truely believe if one never attended on a athletic scholarship, they would vehomently say no to pay. Jealous attititudes have abounded for years and still do as the departments and conferences keep raking in the green.

Education is a choice just as it is for the schools and conferences to choose the best possible athletes to represent their name and team and thus make more $$ for said institution.

Most don't go on to play in higher leagues and make big dollars and it is much harder to play competitive college ball and still get the education the non athletes get.

If you played on a scholarship and disagree I have to believe that you eiter went to a small ass school or were a benchwarmer or both.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a college student. You want to here about fair?

A. I attend full time.

B. Get no money, scholarship or grant.

C. Had better Grades in high school than "athletes" who get schooling paid.

D. ALSO work a full time Job to pay the bills.

Should the get money, yeh if they wanna work. There getting my money already, to Play. Yes I do pay and enjoy watching them play, but that is only when I'm not working or I'm studying.

If they want to work--Let them.

If they don't--Let them use there (my) scholarship money.

It's messed up, not the players fault, it is the system.

SteelNate:

I am a college student. You want to here about fair?

A. I attend full time.

B. Get no money, scholarship or grant.

C. Had better Grades in high school than "athletes" who get schooling paid.

D. ALSO work a full time Job to pay the bills.

Should the get money, yeh if they wanna work. There getting my money already, to Play. Yes I do pay and enjoy watching them play, but that is only when I'm not working or I'm studying.

If they want to work--Let them.

If they don't--Let them use there (my) scholarship money.

It's messed up, not the players fault, it is the system.

Welcome to the real world ... Just wait son, it gets worse.

Hugh:

Yes they should get stipends to balance the lack of $$ you're able to make as a student athlete. A regular student can make as much money as they want throughout the year and not get penalized, not so with the student athlete. Most schools make a mint for more than just their Atheletic Depts. from major sports.

So your saying that by me working Full time and trying to study and maintain other parts of my life is an advantage to me getting better grades?

I spend hours at work--hours studying--hours at school. My choice yes, So I sacrafice time.

Athletes play sports, study, go to class. Their choice yes, so they sacrafice money.

They are adults who can choose their own paths, and who need to learn to live with it. Both have their benifits and downfalls, but don't whine when you are the one who chose to do whichever it is.

Besides they are ultimatly enjoying what it is they "love" to do. Comes down to which do you want the cake or the ice cream. Don't ask me for the other and I wont ask you. NOW THATS FAIR. :D

Hey Nate as a student athlete on scholarship, you're allowed to make only X amount of money (which isn't much) or your scholarship gets pulled.

Want to talk about time?. Where are you when athletes are practicing year round (not mandatory, yeah right). Or riding buses or planes while you're at the library which get new books not only from Athletic Depts., but the taxpayers too.

So athletes that spend as much or more time than you on studies and absolutely more personal time pleasing coaches and faculty and all the while making the school a ton of money that is enjoyed by non athletes also, but can't make as much money as the non athlete in fear of losing said scholarship shouldn't get stipends huh?.

Oh BTW, if you think you're footing the bill because you pay taxes, do the math. How many students vs. how many taxpayers in the state in which you live = pennies per year per student, and yes even non scholarship students get some of the pie. It does not go exclusively to student athletes no matter how jaded you personal view.

Sha-KaKa:

So athletes that spend as much or more time than you on studies and absolutely more personal time pleasing coaches and faculty and all the while making the school a ton of money that is enjoyed by non athletes also....

I don't have the statistics, but I think its pretty safe to say that most student/athletes don't "make the school" any money, let alone a ton of it. So do we just pay this stipend to those athletes involved in programs that "make the school money?" (What exactly does that mean, by the way? That the specific program generates more income than expenditures?) Is it measured by the individual school? If school X's football program "makes money" and school Y's football program does not, do we pay only school X's football players a stipend?

Do we pay all student-athletes or just those typically deemed as "money makers" such as football and basketball? Do you pay lacrosse players stipends? What about the golf team?

I still have yet to see a feasible plan to pay student-athletes.

Sha-KaKa:

Hey Nate as a student athlete on scholarship, you're allowed to make only X amount of money (which isn't much) or your scholarship gets pulled.

Hi Sha-KaKa,

Which is the point I was trying to make, If they wanna work, Let them.

Want to talk about time?. Where are you when athletes are practicing year round (not mandatory, yeah right). Or riding buses or planes while you're at the library which get new books not only from Athletic Depts., but the taxpayers too.

Once again they chose to play and practicing is a required part of playing sports. I am at work, working, or at home playing, on in summer school studying. Once again my choice.

So athletes that spend as much or more time than you on studies and absolutely more personal time pleasing coaches and faculty and all the while making the school a ton of money that is enjoyed by non athletes also, but can't make as much money as the non athlete in fear of losing said scholarship shouldn't get stipends huh?.

How do you propose that the get these stipends? I said let them work. They should not get money from the school. I didn't not get paid when I played sports in high school, but the school generated several of dollars from football. By the way I maintained a great GPA and still found time to kiss the coaches butt. It comes down to choices and they know the rules when before they decide to play.

Oh BTW, if you think you're footing the bill because you pay taxes, do the math. How many students vs. how many taxpayers in the state in which you live = pennies per year per student, and yes even non scholarship students get some of the pie. It does not go exclusively to student athletes no matter how jaded you personal view.

Misunderstood the point I was making here. I was saying as an honer student I felt I deserved a scholarship over an ox that barley graduated. Jaded or not I have done alot and expierenced alot in my short time here on earth, and although this is a petty issue, (one that we could punch and counter punch on all day long) I do feel my view is correct and would be hard pressed nor have seen any evidence to change it.

Please do not take it as a personal attack. I am simply stating my feelings.

SteelNate:

Sha-KaKa:

Hi Sha-KaKa,

Which is the point I was trying to make, If they wanna work, Let them.

Once again they chose to play and practicing is a required part of playing sports. I am at work, working, or at home playing, on in summer school studying. Once again my choice.

How do you propose that the get these stipends? I said let them work. They should not get money from the school. I didn't not get paid when I played sports in high school, but the school generated several of dollars from football. By the way I maintained a great GPA and still found time to kiss the coaches butt. It comes down to choices and they know the rules when before they decide to play.

Misunderstood the point I was making here. I was saying as an honer student I felt I deserved a scholarship over an ox that barley graduated. Jaded or not I have done alot and expierenced alot in my short time here on earth, and although this is a petty issue, (one that we could punch and counter punch on all day long) I do feel my view is correct and would be hard pressed nor have seen any evidence to change it.

Please do not take it as a personal attack. I am simply stating my feelings.

AHHH, had typed more than was posted. Oh well, was of little importance.

No problemo Nate -

Since my first day posting here I've learned to take nothing personal.

I truely admired all the honor students I attended with. Me, I studied as hard or harder than most student athletes and still only pulled down a 3.4

The main problem is with the system anyway, and as some have said before there is no right fix. Both sides have their points. Just want non student athletes to realize it's not such a "free ride" as a lot of people think. It's hard being looked down upon when you can play a sport at a high level and actually put a sentence together also. wink