[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bulletin board material for USC

BIG A

From ESPN:

NORMAN, Okla. -- If Oklahoma defensive end Larry Birdine got a Heisman vote, it wouldn't have gone to Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart.

Birdine made that known Tuesday in a series of statements that showed he wasn't all that impressed with the offense the No. 1 Trojans will bring into the Orange Bowl against the Sooners on Jan. 4.

"I feel like they're, I'd say, a one-and-a-half man team," Birdine said. "I want to respect them just because I have to play them, but then I watch them on tape and everything, and I realize that they're an average team."

Birdine repeatedly praised Reggie Bush, the Trojans' All-American all-purpose player who returns punts and lines up as a tailback and wide receiver for Southern Cal, but he had little positive to say about Bush's teammates on offense.

"Besides Reggie Bush, he's a great athlete, he's a fast back, he makes plays or whatever, but nobody else stands out to me," Birdine said. "Matt Leinart, he's the Heisman Trophy winner, but he hasn't been driving them -- or he hasn't been winning games. Up 'til the last four or five games, Reggie Bush has been their difference-maker.

"We feel like if we take Reggie out of the game, we're gonna win."

Birdine said he didn't think Leinart should have won the Heisman Trophy, and he wasn't just cheerleading for teammates Adrian Peterson and Jason White, who finished second and third in the voting.

"If anybody should have won it from USC, it should have been Reggie Bush," Birdine said. "I don't think that he was the best quarterback. [utah quarterback] Alex Smith, he was better than Matt Leinart. I don't think Matt Leinart should have won."

Birdine later added: "He's definitely overrated. Like I said, he's a good quarterback, but he's not a Heisman-winning quarterback."

Birdine said he realized he could be providing USC with bulletin-board material and said his opinions didn't necessarily reflect the mind-set of the team.

"I don't know if that's the mood in the locker room," Birdine said. "I ask some guys and they say, 'they're good.' I haven't seen them on defense, but if our offense don't turn the ball over and their offense can't score, then I believe we're going to win the game."

"From a defensive perspective, I haven't seen anything that just stood out besides Reggie Bush."

Earlier, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops had far different comments about the Sooners' opponent. He called tailback LenDale White a "great, great player" and said the Trojans receivers were "very good; I'm going to say that about every position on their team that we go to."

Asked about Leinart's positives and negatives, Stoops said the Trojans quarterback was "very wise and smart the way he plays and the way he's coached. He makes very few poor decisions. He's a great decision maker. He has a great arm, he's very accurate. He's got the poise you look for in the pocket.

"The criticism: he's not a great option guy. He's got everything you look for and he's a guy we recruited hard."

Birdine also judged that Oklahoma played more difficult competition in the Big 12 Conference than Southern California had faced in the Pacific 10, but most of his comments were directed toward the Trojans' offense.

"We're not going to just say we've got to stop Reggie and let everybody else run free, but definitely if you take Reggie Bush out of the game, you're chances for winning are that much greater just because if you think about it they give him the ball running, they give him the ball on reverses, they give him the ball on passes," Birdine said.

"Besides him, the only guy they throw the ball to is (Dwayne) Jarrett. If you take you take him out of the game, their options are obsolete."

Wow, this guy is making it easy for USC to get up for this game. Got to love when the opposition speaks their mind before getting on the field. I am sure Stoops is happy about that. :D Keep up the talk OU.

USC is going to need all the "motivation" they can muster up. :D

625269[/snapback]

No joke.

Besides, are you telling me because someone said something that when the game starts, the other team is going to play harder. I never bought into that. In a huge game like this, preparation and heart win the games, not motivation.

I applaud him for speaking what he thinks, because personally I feel the exact same way. You take away Reggie Bush and OU wins by 2 TDs. Bush is the only chance USC has. OU is going to make Leinart look like Tom Brady last monday night vs Miami. Jarrett will be a no factor, and L White will be like, do I have to go back in there....

Prediction

OU 35

USC 17

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

No joke.

Besides, are you telling me because someone said something that when the game starts, the other team is going to play harder.  I never bought into that.  In a huge game like this, preparation and heart win the games, not motivation. 

I applaud him for speaking what he thinks, because personally I feel the exact same way.  You take away Reggie Bush and OU wins by 2 TDs.  Bush is the only chance USC has.  OU is going to make Leinart look like Tom Brady last monday night vs Miami.  Jarrett will be a no factor, and L White will be like, do I have to go back in there....

Prediction

OU 35

USC 17

625523[/snapback]

After reading his quote, I actually thought that Sarge may be this defensive end. I mean hey, they probably have note book computers down on the sideline at OU games. :D

Yep, if OU can neutralize Bush and Leinart, they'll win easily.  And if USC can neutalize both White and AP, the Trojans will win easily.  ***!  I've got this all figured out - this is easy - I should be a coach...

625776[/snapback]

USC cant take away both White and AP. OU only needs to take away Bush, as Leinart cant beat them.

Sooners roll

USC cant take away both White and AP.  OU only needs to take away Bush, as Leinart cant beat them.   

Sooners roll

625821[/snapback]

You have it all wrong. This will come down to schemes since both teams have allot of talent. Chow vs Bo Pellini. Advantage Chow.

USC cant take away both White and AP.  OU only needs to take away Bush, as Leinart cant beat them.   

Sooners roll

625821[/snapback]

If the whole OU team has as little respect for USC as you and that dumb lineman have, they'll be in shock by the 2nd quarter, and will get rolled....

If the whole OU team has as little respect for USC as you and that dumb lineman have, they'll be in shock by the 2nd quarter, and will get rolled....

625878[/snapback]

by the 2nd qtr, Auburn fans will be saying USc didnt deserve to be there, we should be playing OU.

This has nothing to do with disrespect, USC simply isnt as talented as OU.

OL - is there any comparison - huge advantage OU

QB - Leinart won the Heisman, but didnt deserve it over White - advantage OU

RB - Peterson vs L White and Bush in the backfield. advantage OU

WR/TE - Clayton, Wilson, Bradly over Jarrett Smith and those Tes - huge advantage OU

DL - USC pass rush strength is inside and vs OU, it will be a no factor as they will control them both. OU rushes Cody from the end, and with the USC OL, Leinart will be forced into mistakes - advantage OU

LB - OU speed and tackling, vs USC - huge advantage OU

DB - Perkins and Walker at CB, Nicholson and Pool at S, PUSH at best for USC

Head Coach - Stoops is in his 3rd title game in 5 yrs, Carroll won a bogus title last yr playing in he rosebowl vs Michigan. Advanatge OU

Special Teams - Bush - no question is incredible, and Perkins is the NCAA record holder in punt returns for TDs. PUSH, but the OU Field goal kicking game has been in shambles all season, so overall advantage USC

I simply see no where in this game USC has any advantage other than the FG kicking game, and i simply think this game is decided by 2 scores, not a FG late to win it.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Yep folks, Bush is the ONLY good player USC has. Everyone else just sits out there and does nothing.

625950[/snapback]

you take Bush off USc and they lose 3 games this past season. USc doesnt deserve to be in this game but were left out last yr and got a free ride this yr. 2 best teams are Auburn and OU.

I'm going to practice the philosophy of: "restraint of pen & tongue" here.  Oh, how it would be fun to take this out of context. :D

626516[/snapback]

Wow, impressive there, Monsters! Your momma would be proud...

http://www.thehuddle.com/x4/feat/15pag-ncaa.php

I like Bob's prediction for the Orange Bowl.  Add this guy to the list of people who think OU's defense is going to give up the big play.

626563[/snapback]

Lets just say Ill refrain from comment about what BOB thinks......

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

No joke.

Besides, are you telling me because someone said something that when the game starts, the other team is going to play harder.  I never bought into that.  In a huge game like this, preparation and heart win the games, not motivation. 

USC doesnt have the talent to beat OU. Motivated or not. You dont think OU is motivated to win the National Championship.

OU 35

USC 17

625523[/snapback]

I didnt say they were not motivated, you did... :D

USC doesnt have the talent to beat OU.  Motivated or not.  You dont think OU is motivated to win the National Championship.

627215[/snapback]

You make it sound like there is this giant talent gap between these teams. Like OU plays in the nfl and USC plays in high school. They have the talent to beat anyone including OU. I am not saying that OU isn't better in areas, like the o-line, Wrs...Bottom line is that fans will talk all the shizit they want and it is all in good fun. But when players do it, that is just plain dumb. I guess we wil see if that de's ability matches up to his mouth.

You make it sound like there is this giant talent gap between these teams.  Like OU plays in the nfl and USC plays in high school.  They have the talent to beat anyone including OU.  I am not saying that OU isn't better in areas, like the o-line, Wrs...Bottom line is that fans will talk all the shizit they want and it is all in good fun.  But when players do it, that is just plain dumb.  I guess we wil see if that de's ability matches up to his mouth.

627344[/snapback]

I'll be watching him very closely, and every time he gets beat, I'll be laughing. If he doesn't personally have a big game, (i.e. a couple sacks, tackles for loss, or hurries, knockdowns,) and USC wins, it'll be a huge personal failure for him. I'm looking forward to it...

Sarge, you sit here and continue to rip on USCs national championship last year, yet right after last years game, you said USC was the best team, cuz LSU and OU both played flat in the biggest game. What gives? You flip flopped like John Kerry on that one, you even started saying Michigan was the 3rd best team cuz they only lost to USC, the best team. Go back to your posts last year. Make up your mind dude.

Sarge, you sit here and continue to rip on USCs national championship last year, yet right after last years game, you said USC was the best team, cuz LSU and OU both played flat in the biggest game. What gives? You flip flopped like John Kerry  on that one, you even started saying Michigan was the 3rd best team cuz they only lost to USC, the best team. Go back to your posts last year. Make up your mind dude.

628191[/snapback]

:D

What mind?