[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big 10 vs. Big 12

hornish

I know alot of you have been arguing that the Big 10 sucks this year. I think that's wrong, OSU and Iowa are among the best teams in the country and Michigan and Penn State are very solid. Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota are marginal Bowl teams that should probably either be sitting at home or playing a small conference team in a very minor bowl.

Just look at the match-ups that the bottom three Big 10 teams have. An 0-3 start for the Big 10 is very possible but I think that the Big 10 will regain some respect come January when the big boys start plaining. Even then though, the Big 10 has very tough match-ups.

1) Colorado (9-4) vs. Wisconsin (7-6) - two major conferences, VERY, VERY different records. If Wisconsin can remain competitive in this game it will just be proof that a very mediocre, middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team can compete with one of the better teams in the Big 12.

2) Minnesota (7-5) vs. Arkansas (9-4) - Minnesota should be sitting at home. Their non-conference schedule was weak. They certainly shouldn't be playing a solid, major conference team like Arkansas.

3) Washington (7-5) vs. Purdue (6-6) - I think Purdue will win this one even though I don't think ANY team should go bowling with a 0.500 record. Again, Big 10 playing another major conference team with a better record (do you see a trend here).

Meanwhile, the Big 12 is set-up to have a GREAT bowl record. In addition to the Colorado game above, they have:

1) Nebraska playing a 6-6 Mississippi team (Who probably will beat the Cornhuskers)

2) Kansas State (10-2) vs. Arizona State (8-5)

-are you kidding me?

3) Iowa State vs. Boise State - enough said.

4) Texas (10-2) vs. LSU (8-4)

I hope nobody judges conferences by Bowl winning percentage because that would be an absolute joke. The Big 12 should easily win the above 4 games, they are almost all "gimmes" w.r.t records. I personally think that the Big 12 is overrated and may loss two of those games. Meanwhile, the Big 10 will struggle to go 1-2 in the above match-ups. The true test of the team will be how the major teams play in the Bowl games. If the Big 10 finishes with a winning Bowl record this year (even if it is only 4-3), that will be a major show of the conference's strength.

hornish

3)  Iowa State vs. Boise State - enough said.

Boise St is surprisingly tough at home; I'm confident they'll hand it to an ISU team that's been slumping the whole 2nd half of the season.

And KState, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Purdue are flat out MARGINAL and MEDIOCRE teams that shouldn't be in a bowl. Yes, they're gonna lose - especially the matchups they got; I just think the Big Ten would be more aptly judged by PSU, UM, Iowa, and OSU playing teams that they are on the same level with.

The point is that the EIGHTH place team in the Big 10 (Wisconsin at 2-6) is playing the team with the BEST record in the Big 12 (Colorado at 7-1). If you think it will mean anything if Colorado whips Wisconsin, just like almost every Big 10 team has done, then you are deluding yourself. Same thing with Minnesota (7th place Big 10 team, 3-5 conference record) playing against Arkansas (2nd in their division with a 5-3 conference record).

Sha-KaKa:

Big Ten will be very lucky to win 3 bowl games this year. Big Ten = Most overrated conf. 2002

You silly, silly man. That was the purpose of the post. The Big Ten has played matchups over the last couple of years that highly favored the opponents. Then you simplified folks declare the Big Ten as over rated when a top 2 SEC team beats a #7 team from the BigTen.

Exactly right Goliun. In fact, the EIGHTH best team in the Big 10 is in a Bowl this year (Wisconsin at 2-6). Illinois (the 6th place Big 10 team) couldn't make a Bowl since they didn't have a winning overall record.

A lot of people continue to underestimate the Big 10 year after year because the Big 10 continually gets their extremely marginal teams into Bowl games playing teams from major conferences that finished a lot higher. Judge the Big 10 by how OSU, Michigan, Penn State and Iowa play and if the bottom three happen to win, that's a true indication of how deep the Big 10 is (as opposed to the Big 12 who's lower teams (Kansas, Missouri) got utterly, completely DOMINATED by BOWLING GREEN).

Yes I am a silly man wink my statement stands on merit not only for bowl games, but also regular season interconference games. The Big Ten should have 3 to 4 teams going to bowl games at the most. Out of those three or four you may get one win. OSU=Loss, Iowa=Loss, Michigan=Loss, Penn State=Win(only because you don't beat JoePa with that long to prepare). Iowa State=Loss. All are playing ranked teams and they have no chance. What about those five teams losing makes the Big Ten NOT overrated?.

Sha-KaKa:

Yes I am a silly man wink    my statement stands on merit not only for bowl games, but also regular season interconference games. The Big Ten should have 3 to 4 teams going to bowl games at the most. Out of those three or four you may get one win. OSU=Loss, Iowa=Loss, Michigan=Loss, Penn State=Win(only because you don't beat JoePa with that long to prepare). Iowa State=Loss. All are playing ranked teams and they have no chance. What about those five teams losing makes the Big Ten NOT overrated?.

First thing I would say is Iowa State is not in the Big Ten.

Kansas State 2000:

goliun:

First thing I would say is Iowa State is not in the Big Ten.

Correct, but they did play like one in the last 5 or so games. lol Oopps, and KSU is right. And so is the point the Big Ten is overrated. Just go with the top four then. How many wins do you actually see there?. Be objective now wink Better yet my Naval brethern, we can do a sigline bet on the two of the most mediocre divisions. My sometimes heartless albeit talented Pac Ten against your more times than not overrated Big Ten. Total records as both Conf. have too many teams playing in Bowl games this year as in years past.

This seaon's Kansas State team would have finished 5th in the BIG 10.

The "every team has at least 2 losses" almost at puberty 12 is as over-hyped as a Star Wars movie.

-p.s.

My hometown team, the College of Wooster Fighting Scots (Div.III) have an open date next season.Word has it coach Snyder from KSU has contacted them in attempt to schedule a game, but the sticking point might be him insisting on playing it in Manhatten brow .

• 2 weeks later...

For all of you Big 10 bashers that missed it last night, the EIGHTH (yes, that's right, the 8th) place team from the Big 10 beat the team with the BEST record in the Big 12!! Actually, they physically beat them up so badly that the announcers said going into overtime that the Badgers should win the game because Colorado couldn't do ANYTHING offensively. A team that finished 2-6 in the Big 10 beat a team that finished 7-1 in the Big 12. Which conference was the overrated one again, I forgot??

You see, Ohio State had to come to play every week to finish 13-0. They didn't have any pansies to play against like Kansas and Missouri who got DOMINATED by Bowling Green.

KSTATE: Being a Purdue graduate, I feel the need to remind you of this 1998 game where a VERY middle-of-the-pack, unranked Purdue team was playing the #4 team in the country, Kansas State in the Alamo Dome.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/.../29/alamo_bowl/

That's par for the course. The middle of the pack Big 10 teams (6th, 7th place) almost ALWAYS make a Bowl game and they almost always end up playing a 2nd or 3rd place team from the Big 12 or other major conferences. Obviously, the Big 10 is at a severe disadvantage in those match-ups but they usually play very competitively and occasionally pull the big upset.

The Big 10 might not produce the best team in the country every year, but year after year, it is consistently the deepest conference top to bottom.

Kansas State 2000:

THIS year you managed a win vs. the Big 12, good for you.

Kstate: You are right, the Big 10 managed a win against the Big 12 in a Bowl game AGAIN this year. I looked it up, here are all the Big 10 vs. Big 12 match-ups since 1996 unless I missed something (with the Big 10's record in parenthesis):

1996:

Iowa beat Texas Tech (1-0)

Penn State beat Texas (2-0)

1997:

Purdue beat Oklahoma State (3-0)

1998:

Ohio State beat Texas A+M (4-0)

Purdue beat Kansas State (5-0)

1999:

Penn State beat Texas A+M (6-0)

2000:

Nebraska beat Northwestern (6-1)

2001:

Iowa beat Texas Tech (7-1)

2002:

Wisconsin beat Colorado (8-1)

It looks like the "LITTLE 10" as you called it puts a pretty regular Bowl beating on the "Big" 12.

Anyone that knows me knows I do not like the Texas teams, I liked the former BIG 8 better. Most of those wins are over the Texas teams.

The Kansas State win was off a team that missed the NC game by a double overtime lose in the Big 12 Championship game, they did not care about a punk bowl and played like it.

The Wisconsin win over Colorado is a very quality win that the Big 10 should be proud of, Colorado should be asshamed of themselves.

Kansas State 2000

Anyone that knows me knows I do not like the Texas teams, I liked the former BIG 8 better. Most of those wins are over the Texas teams.

Hmmm, so that makes the Big Ten a mere 3-1 against the former Big 8 since '96.

Kansas State 2000:

The Kansas State win was off a team that missed the NC game by a double overtime lose in the Big 12 Championship game, they did not care about a punk bowl and played like it.

You say Kansas State didn't come to play. Is that because they lost? Or is it because they turned the ball over a lot? As I remember it, Purdue GAVE Kansas State two TD's on muffed punt snaps, so Purdue certainly didn't bring their A game either.

Kansas State 2000:

OK, so the four Texas teams from the Big 12 aren't that great. Obviously Missouri and Kansas aren't very good as they not only got beat by Bowling Green (with a bunch of players that weren't Big 10 caliber) but they got CRUSHED and DOMINATED by Bowling Green. Hey, that's 6 of the 12 Big 12 teams. Half the conference isn't that good??

You are making my point for me. It is a major, major accomplishment for anyone to run the table in the Big 10 because it is a very deep conference. Even the crappy teams in the Big 10 are beating the better teams from other major conferences. The Big 12 isn't nearly as deep. I think the Big 10 has been vastly underrated this year.

Kansas State 2000:

SteelBunz:

... with a fifth winning in the second half.

They just lost.Yes KS...lol......I see that.......interesting how the only team favored to win their bowl from the Big 10 has lost so far......I'm loving that trend. wink