[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice - Week 16 - Playoff Edition

Hugh 0ne

Hey Hugh,

I want to start by thanking you, with your help I am in the championship game. I assume others appreciate your analysis and advice as much as I do.  :D  B)  :D

Scoring is standard performance, 6-pts all TD's, with 1-pt per reception.

QB-Griese vs. Carolina or Brooks vs. Atlanta--I am leaning Griese since Atlanta has nothing to play for and I expect it to be low scoring.

RB-(pick 2)-D Davis @ Jags, Edge vs. SD, Pittman vs. Car, and JJ vs. Was--I am not considering JJ, but thought I would throw him out there... I am leaning Edge and Pittman since DD is going against a very tough Jags D (even though he is almost all of the Texans offense)

Thanks Hugh, and hoping you and yours have a safe and Happy Holiday season.

626463[/snapback]

I expected good things from Griese last week and he was horrid, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. That being said, I'd still start him over Brooks this week, and hope his performance last week doesn't become a trend.

Tough calls at RB. Pittman is hot, but that last performance against Carolina, although HUGH through the air, frightens me a bit. I think Edge is a must start. The other 3 guys all have some downside. Both JJ and DD have tough matchups.

I see the WAS - DAL game being close. That should mean another 30 carries for JJ. I know Washington is excellent on the defensive side of the ball, but with a lot of touches, JJ shold do something. Yep, I'd start JJ and Edge.

And thanks for the kind words and Happy Holidays to you as well. :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh, thanks for all your advice in past weeks... once again I seek your guruish knowledge.  :D

This week I'll be starting these guys for sure:

QB - Culpepper

RB - R. Johnson

RB - Pittman

WR - J. Smith

TE - A. Gates

K - Stover

Def - Redskins

I need to select 2 of the following players:

RB - Westbrook @ St.L.

RB - A. Smith vs. Den.

RB - S. Morris vs. Cle.

WR - R. Smith @ Ten.

WR - B. Stokley vs. S.D.

WR - A. Johnson @ Jax.

Scoring:  1 pt per 10 total yards, 3 pt bonus for RBs that go over 150 total yards, 1 pt per catch for WRs.  6pts for TDs less than 40, and 9pts for TDs more than 40.

Thanks again, Hugh!

626483[/snapback]

Bench any and all Eagles.

Smith will not get the touches in a now pass oriented offense to be effective.

Sammy Morris is in a RBBC. A decent option because the Fins will run, but won't get the touches to be a solid fantasy starter.

Rod Smith is a very nice option against a non-existent Titans defense.

Stokley is hit or miss. With the TD record in the balance he might be a good option.

Andre Johnson has a tough matchup, not a great option.

So, start Rod for sure.

Than I think I'd go with Sammy Morris and say a few Hail Mary's. He's the safest bet for moderate production imo.

Good luck. :D

Hey Hugh ...thanks for the help.

I start two RBs , standard scoring ( 1 pt per 10 yards , 6 for TD )

Droughns / Bell ( I have both ) @ TENN

Julius Jones vs Washington

Antowain Smith vs Denver

McGahee / Shaud Williams ( again ..I have both ) @ SF

I am leaning towards Bell and Julius , what do you think ?

Thanks

Happy Holidays Hugh :D

I need 1 QB:

Vick @ New Orleans (Will he play?)

Hasselbeck vs. Arizona (Is he healthy?)

Delhomme @ Tampa Bay (Tampa is my defense so I don't want to root against them if I don't have to.)

I'm leaning toward Hasselbeck since they have a lot to play for and are at home.

I need 3 RB:

L.Johnson vs. Oakland (No Brainer)

T.Bell & R. Droughns @ Tennessee

E.James vs. San Diego

J.Jones vs. Washington

Johnson is a definite, I was leaning toward Bell until I heard Droughns was starting, James has been solid all year, Jones has a lot of upside, but going against a tough D.

Thanks for your opinion :D

626489[/snapback]

I wouldn't start Vick in a meaningless game.

Tampa has the #1 pass defense, but they've given up 17 passing TD's. Delhomme is a decent, not great option, but he does have one of the hottest WR's in the league to throw to.

Hasselbeck is hot. Hasselbeck was horrible in his last game against the Cards. Tough call. Arizona is decent against the pass.

Tough call. I think I'd go with Delhomme by a hair.

LJ, Edge, and JJ. I've stated reasons in other responses regarding my thoughts on Edge, JJ and Bell.

Can you help me out? Thanks!

2 QB

Brian Griese TAM vs. CAR

Jake Delhomme CAR @ TAM

Patrick Ramsey WAS @ DAL

3WR

Eddie Kennison KAN vs. OAK

Muhsin Muhammad CAR @ TAM

Reggie Wayne IND vs. SDG

Torry Holt STL vs. PHI

Also thought about picking up Joey Galloway

Leaning towards:

Griese & Delhomme

and

Kennison, Muhammad, & Wayne

Here's what I'm looking at Hugh.

Start 3 WRs (1 pt per 10 yards and 6 pts per TD)

Horn VS ATL

Walker @ MIN

Evans @ SF

A Johnson @ JAX

Clayton VS CAR

*I'm leaning towards Horn, Walker and Evans

Start 2 RBs (1 pt per 10 yards and 6 pts per TD)

A Green @ MIN

Pittman VS CAR

Bell @ TEN

I'm leaning towards Green and Bell

Thoughts...opinions? Thanks again for your opinions.

626545[/snapback]

Allright Naked Bootleggers, I see you been waiting for a while, I finally made it.

Horn is hot, and it's a meaningless game for Atlanta. Start Horn.

Javon Walker is playing against the Vikes. Start him. :D

Johnson has a tough matchup. Bench please. :D

So, Clayton or Evans. Evans is hot, Clayton is not. Evans has a great matchup. Start Evans. Wow, Evans over Andre Johnson and Michael Clayton. Hard to believe isn't it? B)

Green is the clear choice. Now with Bell I am very cautious. He's hurt. Shanahan loves his RB clusterf*cks. I just have a hard time starting this guy. Maybe I'll regret it, but you another decent option that just seems safer imo. Pittman had a nice week last week, and although he really struggled on the ground in his prior meeting with Carolina, he unloaded in the passing game. Gotta go with Pittman here imo.

Hugh, I really appreciate you taking the time to help people out like this. I've got my Superbowl lineup almost set, but I've got three things I'm unsure of. Here is the team:

QB - Volek

WR - Moss

WR - J. Walker

RB - Edge

RB - J. Jones

WR/TE - Lelie

WR/RB - E. Smith

K - D.Brien

DEF - New England

BENCH:

McNabb, Brady

T. Jones, McGahee

J. Shockey

Pittsburgh D

Three things I'm struggling with.

1 - Start Shockey over Lelie?

2 - Pick up Suggs off waivers to start over J. Jones?

3 - Start PIT or NE defense?

Standard scoring. Thanks again for the help!! :D

Happy Holidays Hugh! The very best to you and your family.

Well, I made it, Im in the championship!!! Dont ask me how, must be that blind squirrel/occasional nut thing  :D

Here's what Ive got: I need to pick a defense from these three: Miami v Cle, NE @ NYJ, CAR @ Tampa

Also, I have a dreaded kicker question (sorry, if you want to ignore it I understand, I know these guys are hit/miss), if you wouldnt mind weighing in Id be grateful: Lindell @ SF (50's, some showers) or Graham @ NYG

Finally, would you start Kitna (@ NYG) if he plays, Brady @ NYJ, or McCown @ Sea.

Kinda irritating questions I know, but if you'd help me this one last time I'd appreciate it!  :D

Gdawg

626557[/snapback]

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well. :D

Don't bench NE. I know Miami is very enticing, and I think they're a great option, but NE has been solid all year.

Probably Lindell. They should be able to score a lot against SF which is a good thing for kickers.

From what I've read and seen Palmer will play, so that would take Kitna out of the mix, unless I missed something.

Tough call between Brady and McCown. The Jets defense has been rock solid, so I think you play the matchup here and go with McCown.

Good luck. B)

Hugh,

Thanks for doing this...

My question is twofold.

First, who do you like this week at WR. Torry Holt vs. Philly, or Jerry Porter vs. KC. And do you think that the weather will effect either's performance?

Scoring for WR's is 1/10-6pt TD's

My second is on Defense. I have the Tampa Bay and Detroit "D"s...I am at a loss as to which one to start.

Defensive scoring is pretty standard....

Thanks for taking the time to do this...

:D

MY LINE UP? See Sig for suggestions??

Manning, Peyton QB IND SD

Johnson, Larry RB KC OAK

Jones, Julius RB DAL WAS

Burleson, Nate WR MIN GB

Evans, Lee WR BUF @SF

Muhammad, Muhsin WR CAR @TB

Vanderjagt, Mike K IND SD

Dolphins, DST DST MIA

HIS LINE UP?

McNabb, Donovan QB PHI @STL

Dillon, Corey RB NE @NYJ

Portis, Clinton RB WAS @DAL

Smith, Emmitt RB ARI @SEA

Jackson, Darrell WR SEA ARI

Gates, Antonio TE SD @IND

Akers, David K PHI @STL

Patriots, DST DST NE

WHO WINS????????????????

626560[/snapback]

The guy who scores the most points. :D

QB - leaning towards Collins, have been flip-flopping between

Hass and Delhome. picked up Collin's the last week of Waivers for the KC matchup.

Hassleback vs ARZ

Delhomme at TB

Collins at KC 

RB (2 of 3)

Tiki @ Cin

Rudi vs NYG

Dillon at NYJ

Can't decide on this one.

626574[/snapback]

Gotta go with Collins based soley on the fact that it's a matchup that you can't pass up.

Corey and Rudi. :D

The scientist is BACK!  Happy Holidays!  I'll make it short and to the point...I'm in the Superbowl...I need help with the flex position...Do I start...Rueben Droughns vs. Tenn or Antonio Bryant vs. Miami...I am leaning towards Droughns...What do you think?

Unfortunately I don't have any other options.

Thanks!

626584[/snapback]

I really don't know what to make of the Denver RB situation, outside of the fact that I'd probably avoid it like the plague. That being said, if my only other option was Antonio Bryant, I'd probably start Droughns.

Happy Holidays to you as well. :D

YO HUGH -

Traditional performace league. Playing my league's commish for the Championship - must win!

I'm sure you're fielding a lot of "should I sit McNabb" questions, but I think I've already settled on sitting him and starting Collins. Bledsoe is available, but I like Collins. Tell me if you disagree. My real issue is that I think I have a case for going against conventional wisdom and starting a WR in my flex where I usually lean to the RB.

Here's who I have penciled in as starting for sure:

QB - Collins

RB - J Jones

RB - D McCallister

WR - R Moss

WR - J Walker

TE - J Witten

That leaves me with 1 WR slot and 1 flex to fill from the following players and this is where I need your help:

J Galloway

L Evans

R Williams

A Smith

T Jones

N Burleson

Shaud Williams

Thanks man

Ok Hugh, got 2 dilemmas this week.

Scoring: Standard Performance - 1 point per 25 Pass, 1 point per 10 Yards Rush/Rec, 6 points per TD

1. I am stuck on picking my QB for this week. I have Hasselbeck (vs AZ) and Griese (vs CAR) on my roster and as of right now, I was planning on starting Griese. I just hope he can make up for his performance last week. I am also looking at picking up Volek (vs Den) from the free agent pool.  I am weary of Hasselbeck, cause he might not play the whole game or there could be a heavy dose of Alexander this week. So, would you stay with Griese or pick up Volek?

2. I am having a little trouble picking my second RB. Right now I am starting Ahman Green (vs MIN) as my first and am debating between Warrick Dunn (vs NO) and Fred Taylor (vs HOU) as my second. I am thinking Fred Taylor right now, but he has had a lot of trouble getting into the endzone lately. I think last week was his second of the year and he had numerous chances. Dunn looked pretty solid last week. I just don't know if Duckett is expected back. So, do I keep Talyor in?

Thanks in advance for the help and have a great holiday!

626586[/snapback]

Gotta go with Volek here. Tennessee has become a passing machine.

Start Fred Taylor in a must win for the Jags against a soft defense, as opposed to Dunn in a meaningless game.

Hey Hugh,

Thanks as always for the advice!

First question -- who would you start at QB this week: Billy Volek or Donovan McNabb? I'm leaning toward Volek.

Second question -- Looking ahead to next week, which would be my super bowl, I'm looking to replace Chris Brown on my roster, in case one of my starters gets hurt, or doesn't play next week for some reason. So, I'm trying to find a sleeper RB who might get a lot of carries in the final regular season game.

Available options:

- Shaud Williams, BUF

- Verron Haynes, PIT

- Kevin Faulk, NE

- Kevan Barlow, SF

- Travis Minor, MIA

- William Green, CLE

- Moe Williams, MIN

- Tyrone Wheatley, OAK

Which of these, or any other sleeper RBs, do you think could put up numbers in week 17? I'm thinking either Shaud Williams, Haynes or Faulk.

Again, hopefully I won't have to use this guy, and CuMar/Pittman will carry me to the championship, but just in case, I figure I should have some insurance on my bench.

Thanks again, and happy holidays to you and yours! :D

Hugh,

Appreciate the responses in the past and hope you can help me keep sanity this week.

I am actually asking for my 15 year old son who has his own team and is in the final game for our league. If he wins I'm gonna hit him up for a loan. As for myself, I was four yards short from getting into the payoffs (Chris Brown two weeks ago). Same scoring as in sig.

He has Pennington, Carson Palmer and just picked up Volek as f/a. He has Volek to start. I can't argue, can you?

Playoff FF. Gotta love a championship game!!

One league:

2 RB, 3 WR, 1 flex. I have the RBS, so I am going 3 and 3.

I rank RBs as follows:

1) Larry Johnson

2) Kevin Jones

3) Brian Westbrook

4) Julius Jones

5) (not an option) McGahee

I like Westbrook over Jones for 2 reasons. First, the Iggles are back to last year's offense in which Westbrook was the focus and scored many TDs. He is their best option against a pretty bad Stl. defense. Second, the Wash D is che good, and I don't trust JJ to get the touches against it.

At WR:

1) R Moss

2) D Bennett

3) S Moss (I know...but teams are figuring out that the Pats can be thrown on)

4) H Ward (Because Balt is tougher in the secondary by a large margin than NE)

5) Toomer

6) Colbert

In another league...if you are interested...

I am choosing between

PICK 2: (in order of preference) Tomlinson, McAllister, Suggs, T Jones, Bell

and 2: Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, L Fitzgerald, A Johnson, K Colbert

and last league:

2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, and again I have the RBs

Pick 3 (in order of preference for me): E James, L Johnson, K Jones, J Lewis, T Bell, T Jones, O Smith

and PICK 2: R Moss, J Walker, E Moulds, N Burleson, D Branch

Lots to look at...just wondering your thoughts on my ranks and if a change, why. No biggie :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Hi Hugh:

Standard scoring, plus 0.5 points for each reception. My lineup's in my sig -- I've pretty much decided to start the players who are off the bench already. But do sound off if you have any violent objections.

As to the rest of the positions (RB, flex, and DEF), who do you think I should start? For the RB+flex positions I'm thinking Clayton, Julius, or Morris. Can't figure out one over the other, though. And for DEF I'm thinking it's either MIA or DET (vs CHI). Leaning towards MIA. Shutouts are great and all, but INTs and sacks are nice too, no? Case in point -- I played SD last week. They got their shutout, but not a whole lot of sacks and INTs, so only decent pointage. Not really considering Droughns because I think it's too risky a play, and I feel Roy Williams is going back to no-TD mediocrity this week.  Let me know what you think. Thanks!

626589[/snapback]

Julius, even with the tough matchup, should get 30 carries in a close game.

Miami, they play an offense that has scored 7 points in 2 weeks.

Pick 2 WR of the 3

Walker @ Vikings - Like that matchup in the dome.

Williams vs Bears - Ditto

Clayton vs Panthers

I have been starting Walker and Clayton.

Now, with Roy's big game, and the fact that they are home against the Bears has me leaning towards Walker and Williams.

At RB, I have LT starting, need to pick 1 more.

Right now, I am going with Bell.

Bell @ Tenn

Shaud Williams @ 49ers. I picked up Williams and dropped Duckett in case something happened to Bell late in the week.

Chis Brown and Onterrio Smith are not options, obviously.

Scoring and other info below....

Thx Hugh

626591[/snapback]

Sorry, not answering any questions from Pats fans this week. :D

:D

Walker is a no brainer. I would actually start Clayton here. I know he's been a little slow, but I watched the Vikes game last week and although Williams had a nice game, this guy is really banged up and one hit away from the sideline. Also, the Bears secondary is significantly better than the Vikes secondary.

I've commented several times about Bell. I don't like him. At all. He's hurt, and Shanahan's a RBBC nightmare, and he didn't get a single snap after the fumble last week, so he's in Shanahan's doghouse. Would I start Shaud Williams over him? That's a tough one. I'd consider it, that's for sure. I'd probably wait and see if anything pans out with Bell's health. Make no mistake, there are yards and TD's to be had for Denver RB's this week, I'm just not sure who's going to get them.

My wife is in a championship game. She needs your wise advice. I can not give it to her because my team sucked all year.

She needs to start 3 of the following 4 RBs in a standard Yahoo game (TDs, yards)

Rudi Johnson vs weak Giants run defense

Westbrook - on MNF vs a weak Stl. Louis defense but they may want to protect him for playoffs

Larry Johnson - vs Oakland.

Bettis vs strong Bal defense.

She is leaning towards Johnson, Johnson and Westbrook. She likes idea of having a MNF player to pick up last minute points.

Please help.

Merry Christmas