[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The break up of the Big East

The ACC voted to expand their conference from 9 teams to 12 teams to increase their BCS status. In addition it would generate more revenues for the ACC. Teams under consideration are Miami and 2 of Syracuse, BC and Virginia Tech.

It certainly strengthens the ACC in terms of football (Miami alone does that) and possibly even in basketball ... but it will decimate the Big East in BOTH football and basketball. IMO the Big East will go the way of the old SWC.

Personally I favor the larger conferences primarily because I like the idea of a conference championship. If you are one of the schools left out though it's got to suck.

<New and improved posting>

no one:

The Big East is looking at Penn State and Notre Dame as possible replacments if Miami leaves. eek! 

I'm not sure if Penn State is looking to leave the Big Ten.

Notre Dame is already in the Big East in all sports except football (where it is an independent).

Grits and Shins

Teams under consideration are Miami and 2 of Syracuse, BC and Virginia Tech...it will decimate the Big East in BOTH football and basketball.  IMO the Big East will go the way of the old SWC.

Aside from losing 'Cuse, I don't see it hurting the Big East too badly on the basketball front - VaTech hasn't done anything in recent memory in hoops, and both Miami and BC tend to be up-and-down. It certainly would end the Big East's resemblance to a major football conference, however.

• 2 weeks later...
Grits and Shins:

Heard on ESPN radio this morning that the Big East is offering Miami $9 million per year to stay.  Not because they really want to keep Miami but they don't want to lose Syracuse or Boston College and if Miami stays nobody goes.

Thats somewhat of a contridiction - If Miami is the school holding everything together - than obviously the Big East wants to KEEP Miami.

The Big East wants to keep the conference together because of basketball NOT because of football. They'd be willing to lost Miami if it was ONLY Miami ... but they want to keep Syracuse and Boston College for their basketball programs.

While I am sure they do want to keep all schools they could live with losing only Miami. But the bottom line is that Miami is the deal maker / breaker. Syracuse and Boston College will do as Miami does.

So despite the fact that the Big East is willing to give up Miami they are in a position of having to pay Miami to stay to preserve the rest of the conference.

Atlanta Cracker:

When your strongest arguement is that these teams "lied" I think you are treading on pretty weak footing...

Yup ... show me a legally binding contract requiring teams to stay in the Big East then I'll back 'em all the way ... now all they are doing is whining

• 3 weeks later...

lol

It started out with Syracuse, Boston College and Miami as the targeted schools ... Miami and two other schools chosen by them. This would make it a 12 team conference the minimum configuration for a playoff (more money).

Then there was a lawsuit. Virginia Tech was one of the plantiffs of said lawsuit.

Now: the ACC makes there offers to Miami and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech withdraws from the lawsuit and says they are on board with the ACC. Miami says hold on a minute this is not the original deal. For one it's only 11 teams, not enough for a conference championship game and no teams from the NE (where Miami's fans are).

What a mess.

As an ACC guy, this whole thing really pisses me off. This has been a trainwreck from the very beginning. Now it looks like the ACC will end up with 1 additional school, a school they were'nt even interested in at the beginning: Va. Tech. I can safely say that no ACC fans wanted Va. Tech in the conference. I have yet to speak to a fan who was really interested in expansion at all. All because the Virginia govenor basically threated the president of UVA that if he diodn't vote "NAY" on any proposal that didn'nt include Va. Tech, then UVA might find itself having trouble getting funding in the years to come. What kind of s**t is that?

IF IT 'AINT BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!!! doah

Grits and Shins:

It certainly strengthens the ACC in terms of football (Miami alone does that) and possibly even in basketball ... but it will decimate the Big East in BOTH football and basketball.  IMO the Big East will go the way of the old SWC.

It certainly strengthens the ACC in football and could very well decimate the football schools,but it in no way weakens the conference in basketball.

Miami and VT over the last ten years have been two of the worst basketball schools in the conference.

If the Big East is forced to expand to survive now,and adds UC and Louisville in the process,it significantly STRENGTHENS them in basketball,although not in football.

It's time for the BCS to go.It was intended to make sure we have a true college champion;instead it has only made the rich richer.

If you do not belong to one of the five(assuming the BE loses it's BCS status)BCS conferences,you will never ever have a BCS bowl game,or a financially rewarding bowl game(with the exclusion of Notre Dame).

Sox:

Miami and VT over the last ten years have been two of the worst basketball schools in the conference.

Virginia Tech has only played Big East basketball for 3 years. (But, yes they've been at the bottom of the standings)

Miami has only had 3 losing seasons in the last 10 and has made the tournament 4 of them, including an elite 8 and sweet 16

They had a good four year run.That's positive of the program,but you can't discount the other seasons.

You left out the first year they joined the Big East.

Their conference record over the 11 years they have been a member is 95-113.

It could get even worse with next season if they defect as it looks like they will.Many teams are on the way up,as evidenced by BE having four teams in the sweet sixteen.And all will be out to beat them as they leave.

It won't hurt the Big East in basketball at all if they leave,and if Louisville and UC are added,the BE gets even stronger.

Although some teams are only going to play once a year in the new conference,I'm sure they are hoping to schedule Duke,NC State,NC,and Maryland twice a year.