[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sarge's College Top 10

Sgt. Ryan

My top 5 as we speak and this is not a homer decision, obviously, close to every writer in the country agrees OU is #1.

1. Oklahoma - Get White back who is a better QB than anyone they have had in the last decade, Heupal included. Love Q, but Jones is a more explosive and powerful back. Losing Trent smith will hurt alot, but this defense is hungry. They were embarassed twice last yr and want to shut out every opponent and have the chemistry and studs to get close.

2. Texas - Chrissy Sims was the reason OU beat UT the last 3 yrs. That and along with Mack Brown playing it safe every yr. This yr I think Mack opens things up and says Im laying it all on the line for this game. This is Texas NC until/if they reach it on their own. Texas has the best WR trio in the country and the best WR in Roy Williams. He has been hurt the last 2 yrs vs OU and Texas stalled as a result each time. Im not sure a new QB can step onto the field and beat OU, but Texas has to win sometime, doesnt it.. man that is painful as I hate UT, living in Big D.

3. Va Tech - has 2 stud Qbs, one of the best, if not the best RB in college football in Soph Jones. An experienced D with a great coach and a cush schedule outside of Miami in Blacksburg this yr. This team has all the makings of a undefeated NC.

4. Kansas St - No im not a Big 12 lover, I just see this team is a lil better than Michigan, Ohio St, or Auburn others want to put ahead of them. They have a brutal road after their 3 - Div AA games every yr. But if they survive they have the offense to score on anybody, The Defense has holes at LB and CB after losing Newman and Pierce to the NFL.

5. Miami - I know this is a trendy pick, but if Brock can beat Va Tech then they should stroll through the big East and beat Fla St rather easily. Pitt will also give them a hell of a game. I dont think they could beat one of the teams listed above in the NC if they even get past Va Tech in the reg season, but I cant see Ohio St winning more than 8 games with or without Thug boy, and Michigan is strong and would be my #6 team, but they have a much more difficult schedule imo and would be hard pressed to end the yr in the top 2.

Honorable Mention -

6. Michigan

7. Georgia

8. Ohio St

9. Auburn

10. Pittsburgh

If OU, TU & KSU were in other conferences they would win those conferences and be playing each other in the BCS games this year. But Texas has to play Oklahoma & Kansas State this year ... OUCH!

The National championship will be decided in Kansas City on December 7th as Oklahoma and Kansas State play for the Big 12 Championship.

It's nice to see a top 5 minus Auburn. thumbs_u

Wow. Sgt., I can't argue with your #1, but to say the White is better the Josh and Jones is better the Q is, well, nuts. White has little game experience and Q is one of the top 10 backs in OU history.

Guest aqualung
Canes26:

K State is overrated as well as Pitt.  I see Oklahoma playing the winner of the Tech/Miami game in the NC.

There's where you're wrong Miami is the team that is overrated this year. Pitt will take them down at home this year as well as Virginia Tech.

McSooner:

Wow.  Sgt., I can't argue with your #1, but to say the White is better the Josh and Jones is better the Q is, well, nuts.  White has little game experience and Q is one of the top 10 backs in OU history.

First Off, I was the first diehard Sooner fan on this site 2 yrs before the NC season. I suffered humiliation from Brees and Bronco Billy for 2 yrs before the glory of 2000. So im not throwing shock value out there about my boys.

I understand your reply, and I love Heupel. But lets get some things out on the table. Josh was not a strong armed QB, he could rarely get 1st downs with his feet, and became a dump over the middle shuffle pass QB even with a pass first OC calling the plays. Josh occasional Heave down the field was more the WR making a play on the ball and less Josh leadint the WR down the field on the go route that you will see alot of this yr from White.

Todays Sooner offense is more balanced thus Q stunning numbers last yr. But alot of Qs success was hiding behind lineman until he got in the open field. Jones is a much faster back that can score from anywhere on the field and wont get dragged down from behind like Q. I didnt say Jones was better than Q, but I dont think the drop off will be as great as some consider.

I stand behind the positives White brings to this offense and believe he will lead the Sooners to another title in 03-04 wihtout Q, Trent smith or the other weapons at Josh disposal.

Either way, Im not going to argue with a fellow Sooner fan. In the end we will be celebrating together in early Jan.

Another thing. Who does Pitt have besides Fitzgerald. The Williams freshmen from USC put up better numbers than Fitzgerald. He's good, but he can't beat Miami by himself. Big deal Pitt returns how many ever starters on offense. They didn't do crap when playing quality opponents last year(tech was slumping when they beat em). KSU has a weak schedule the first half then crumbles against teams with a good def. Time will tell fellas. I'm a huge Canes fan, but I hate to say OK will take the title this year.

Guest aqualung
Canes26:

I know you've gotta be a Pitt fanboy lung cuz of your best rivalry picks.  Keep holding onto the Marino memories.

Nah, not the Marino era, I'm from the Dorsett era. :D

Dazed and confused, you must truly be. Are the coaches dazed and confused?

ESPN/USAToday

1. OU

2. OSU

3. Miami

4. TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT...

5. Kansas State

Or maybe the writers are dazed and confused.

AP

1. OU

5. TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT...

7. Kansas State

Oops. You're right. Missed that one by 2 spots.

wink wink wink

McSooner,

EVERY year the preseason polls TREMENDOUSLY OVERRATE the Big 12, and EVERY year that prediction goes to **** in no time. In the past 4 years (I couldn't find earlier polls; besides prior to that only Nebraska is worth mentioning, enough said) no more than ONE Big 12 team cracked the top 5 at the end of the season. The Big East and Pac-10 had exactly the same number, Big-10 and SEC had 1 less. Yet, every year the same laughable scenario gets painted. I'm not against the Big-12, it just gets exausting. I mean. I would really like people to vote with their minds and not out of habit.

Keep smoking the crack McSooner

Dazed and Confused:

... no more than ONE Big 12 team cracked the top 5 at the end of the season.

Maybe not top 5 but ...

Last year, as an example, the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 7 in the final poll. Look at the losses of the top teams in the Big 12 (KSU, OU, TU), very few are by teams out of conference.

BTW, Interesting fact:

The former Big 8 is the only conference in NCAA history to have 4 teams finish with 10 wins or better in a season. (NU 12-0, KSU 10-2, CU 10-2, KU 10-2)

Correction Kansas

2002:

Non-conference record:

Big Ten, 38-15, .717

SEC, 40-16, .714

Big XII, 41-18, .695

not

2002:

Non-conference record:

Big XII, 41-18, .695

Now, do your OWN research. Your speaking without knowing the facts....guessing (more like hoping) or you would quote them....Typical of the uninformed.

Besides, we can slice and dice statistics a million ways. Calculate the top 2,3,4 ??? Most wins by a team in games over 85 degrees, etc. So far you lost EVERY argument for your cause. I can make a lame argument for the WAC to be the best conference. And "if" you do your homework.... list the non-conference records of the top 3 in all the other conferences. I'm sure you will be very disappointed... don't WASTE your time.

The only stat that counts, Kansas, is the following.

2002 FINAL rankings:

#1 OHIO STATE - BIG 10

#2 MIAMI - BIG EAST

#3 GEORGIA - SEC

#4 USC - PAC 10

EVERY major conference except the ACC has a team finishing above your best!

Congratulations on second to last, Kansas!

• 2 weeks later...

Shut the F*ck up Dazed. The best conference in the country is the Big 12.

The teams ahead of OU last yr didnt have to play OU. OU would have beaten any of those teams. But thats last yr, this is this yr.

Big 10 has Michigan and thats it. OS who, get real they sux ass. 16-13 to Sd St at home, how embarassing

SEC is strong with Fla, Ga and Tenn, but none of those teams rank with the top 3 of the Big 12

ACC has USC and possibly Oregon, but the top 3 in the Big 12 beats both of these handily.

IF TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT..., OU, and KSU were in the Big 10, SEC and the ACC, all 3 win the conference. Its a shame they have to beat up on each other and only 1 can play for a title when 2 of these 3 are the best in college football.

PatrickL:

here's what i think about the top 10 and the way it'll look at the end of the regular season   :D  

1. Auburn

2. Oklahoma

3. Virginia Tech

4. Michigan

5. Miami

6. Texas

7.  USC

8. Kansas State

9. LSU

10. N.C. State

Auburn and NC state both get smacked around in the first 2 weeks.

Sgt. Ryan:

Shut the F*ck up Dazed.  The best conference in the country is the Big 12.

IF TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT..., OU, and KSU were in the Big 10, SEC and the ACC, all 3 win the conference.  Its a shame they have to beat up on each other and only 1 can play for a title when 2 of these 3 are the best in college football.

Yeah dazed, everyone knows the little private's opinion is FACT! shrug

Private Parts ryan, glad to see you're back analyzing college football in a totally unbiased manner. jester