[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did OU get so good so fat?

polksalet

I realize Stoops has been there several years but he was left a lot of talent. What I dont understand is why did OU suck so bad for so long? Granted they weren't exactly Baylor, but now they have more talent on d than any team in the country and it aint even close.

In a word, STAFF. Stoops has already produced 2 head coaches from within his staff, Leach and Mangino. Leach is a nut, but is doing well at Texas Tech and Mangino seems to be turning around Kansas. There are three more that will leave in the near future, Mike Stoops, Brent Venables, and Chuck Long. I'm shocked that they have stayed relatively intact this long. People just might look back in 15-20 years from now and be amazed at the talent that has come from under Stoops.

Sgt. Ryan:

And Snyder got Stoops and the boys from the Fla staff.  So we can thank Spurrier for letting him go to KSU, where OU found him

Stoops left KSU to go to Florida.

Former KSU assistant Bob Stoops left Florida, where he was defensive coordinator, to take the head coaching job at Oklahoma. He then raided Snyder's staff, hiring Mangino, defensive coordinator Mike Stoops (his brother) and defensive aide Brent Venables.

OU hadn't had a winning season since 1993, but Snyder's former aides immediately returned the Sooners to glory with a 7-5 record in 1999 and a Big 12 title and national championship in 2000.

polksalet:

If they got all of they're good coaches from KSU. why has KSU had no success? I mean seriously, they suck hard.

KSU was #1 and the Big 12 North champions in 1998. The coaches accepted jobs to Oklahoma and they did not "coach" in the Big 12 Championship game leading to a double OT lose and a missed national championship game invite. Those coaches made KSU 11-0 and now those same coaches are making OU NC contenders and winners. KSU fans really wish Snyder had not let the coaches leave that year.

Kansas State 2000:

polksalet:

If they got all of they're good coaches from KSU. why has KSU had no success? I mean seriously, they suck hard.

KSU was #1 and the Big 12 North champions in 1998. The coaches accepted jobs to Oklahoma and they did not "coach" in the Big 12 Championship game leading to a double OT lose and a missed national championship game invite. Those coaches made KSU 11-0 and now those same coaches are making OU NC contenders and winners. KSU fans really wish Snyder had not let the coaches leave that year.
Seems like i remember that game, did it involve sirr parker?