[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If TCU wins out, do they deserve a shot?

Chavez

Article at Sportsline about TCU's chances of getting into the BCS.

The question is, if the season ends, and say, USC and and Miami each suffer another loss, but TCU is undefeated (whether or not OU is undefeated is sort of not that important - but it WOULD be more interesting if the Frogs were the ONLY undefeated team in 1-A), do they deserve a shot at the #1 team? If not that, shouldn't they at LEAST get a BCS bid?

IMO you can only really play with the hand you're dealt. Take care of business, so to speak - if you beat everyone on your schedule, you should be rewarded.

I think that if a team can win all their games, and they are considered by the NCAA to be division 1A, they deserve to play for the championship.

The fact that the championship is run by the BCS and not the NCAA clouds the picture. The BCS really only recognizes the big six conferences, plus Notre Dame.

Wife is a TCU grad and we argue this all the time. She actually thinks the Frogs could play with the Sooners on a neutral site like the Sugar bowl.

Too bad they wont get the chance.

TCU is not a legitimate BCS team for 3 reasons.

1. They dont travel well outside of the state

2. Not a flashy enough program to get high TV ratings

3. They havent played anyone.

I firmly believe a 2 loss Texas or Wash St will pass TCU in the BCS before the yr is out, and they end up no higher than 11 even if they win out.

It's pretty obvious - TCU and these teams need to schedule some heavies early in the year and WIN to be considered in the big dance. SOS will continue to dog them, and deservedly so. Does your wife really think the Frogs could hang with any of the top 5-10 teams, especially if they had to play 2-3 of them every year? Nope...

This is exactly why once Michigan has its second loss I'm out on college football.

So TCU should not be in the Sugar Bowl because OU will kick their a$$? Then why even have the Sugar Bowl since OU will kick the a$$ of whoever they play? If there are 2 undefeated teams left at the end of the season in Div 1, they should be playing each other for everything.

Clubfoothead:

So TCU should not be in the Sugar Bowl because OU will kick their a$$?

No TCU should not be in the Sugar Bowl because there are several more deserving teams.

Clubfoothead:

why even have the Sugar Bowl since OU will kick the a$$ of whoever they play?

Did you happen to catch any of the Fiesta Bowl last year?

davearm:

Clubfoothead:

So TCU should not be in the Sugar Bowl because OU will kick their a$$?

No TCU should not be in the Sugar Bowl because there are several more deserving teams.

Clubfoothead:

why even have the Sugar Bowl since OU will kick the a$$ of whoever they play?

Did you happen to catch any of the Fiesta Bowl last year? If they were more "deserving" than TCU, they'd have a better record. Yes, I saw the Fiesta Bowl last year, so what?

Sgt. Ryan:

Still living in the past huh Dave.  

Not living in the past... just learning from it. Last year's Fiesta illustrated that even a huge underdog (~2 TDs IIRC) can not only provide a close, exciting game, but pull out the upset.

Sgt. Ryan:

OU isnt Miami.  Though the 2 will probably play for all the marbles imo.

That very well could happen Ryan. I'd speculate that if that does indeed come to pass, OU will be favored by fewer points in the Sugar than Miami was last year in the Fiesta. Given the unpredictabiliy of college football you'd be a fool to dismiss the possibility of another upset this season.

Come to think of it, Ryan, FSU was a pretty heavy favorite vs. the Sooners in the 2001 Orange Bowl, and I'm certain you can tell us all about how that one turned out... aside from a late, voluntary safety, the mighty Seminoles and all their first-rounders were shut out. And you seem to think it could never happen when OU's the better team...

davearm

Have you looked at some of their results?

3-point win over Tulane

13-point win over Navy

3-point win over Arizona

3-point win over South Florida

3-point win over UAB

7-point win over Houston

Not real impressive.

If I recall, OSU had a few close scrapes last year (not to mention THIS year).

No matter how ugly the win, it's still prettier than a loss; and what more can a team do aside from win every game they play?

Note: I am NOT suggesting that TCU could hang in any way with OU - BUT my argument is that teams are supposed to win all their games; TCU has a VERY good shot at doing that.

Oh I understand what you're getting at. No problem there. I just disagree.

Imagine I'm at the gym one day, and in strolls Michael Jordan. He picks up a ball and starts raining jumpers from all over the court... Majestic threes! 18-foot bankshots! Running hooks, lefthanded! After nine in a row, he clanks front rim with a shot from half court.

Meanwhile there I am standing under the basket, struggling to make 10 layups in a row. (But no misses!)

Who you gonna send to the three-point-shooting contest: me, since I made all my layups? Or Michael, despite missing from half court?

As a TCU alum, I hope they win out.

As a TCU fan, I hope they get to play for the National Championship should they win out.

As a jaded, anti-BCS, college football follower, there is no way in h3ll that TCU plays in anything but the #4 BCS bowl (if even that) if they win out. Why? Well...

1) TCU hasn't played many tough teams. However,

2) TCU is not in charge of the ability of their opponents to recruit top talent. Name the Athletic Director who figured two or three years ago when creating their schedules that Northern Illinois would be infinately better than both Penn State and Notre Dame?

3) TCU has won all of the games on their schedule (thus far).

4) Any team that wins all of their games, even if their strength of schedule is 110th in Divsion I-A, should play in a BCS bowl.

5) If only one or two teams are undefeated, they should play for the national championship.

No one wants a blowout national championship game, but, on the same hand, should TCU get to play and actually win, it would be a HUGE publicity deal for all schools in the NCAA! Think of all the revenue that would be created by all of the smaller schools trying to do 'that little extra something' that will push their team into the hunt...think of all the motivation that would be to all other programs! NCAA football would be better if TCU played for the national championship...but, it'll never happen.

PS - it's rumored in 'frog land' that one of their RBs (a true Freshman) is better than LaDanian...

What if TCU goes to a lesser bowl and wins? What if Oklahoma loses to a 1-loss team? Now TCU becomes the ONLY undefeated team in the country.

If they are the only undefeated team, and they are not considered the national champions, then the NCAA needs to make another classification.

Kevin --

Keep in mind that technically the NCAA does not even recognize a national champion in football. In every other sport the NCAA sanctions a postseason tournament, and the winner gets one of those wooden trophies with the big gold NCAA crest.

In football, the mythical national champion is determined by the final AP poll and is awarded that crystal football from our good friends at Sears.

And we're only one upset away from TCU being the only unbeaten entering the bowl season.

Grits and Shins:

lol  

Remind me again who the h.ell TCU has played that makes their undefeated record mean anything?

wall_bas try everyone on their schedule.

Now I'm no college footbal officinado like some you you folks here (I actually mean that too) but explain to me how it is that Florida State is ranked higher than Miami in the BCS.

You're right Dave, I'm aware of that NCAA championship vs BCS championship issue (which I mentioned in my first post in this thread).

Who has TCU played? Other NCAA Division 1A schools. Schools in the Conference USA, which is recognized by the NCAA.

TCU has played 2 schools in BCS conferences (SEC: Vanderbilt; Pac 10: Arizona).

It seems unfair to consider them an NCAA 1A school, let them play their schedule, and then not let them win.

It pretty much doesn't matter if you go undefeated if you aren't a Big Name Favorite. The BCS was put into place to ensure that only big name schools get into the big money bowls.

TCU could have won all their games thus far by 50 points each and it still wouldn't matter. There is no way that they will be given a shot undefeated or not. The name of the game is BIG MONEY for BIG NAME SCHOOLS.

I am sure that even if TCU wins out we will see a 1 loss, or even a 2 loss, team play for the supposed National Championship. Heck, OU could lose 1 and we could see two 1 loss teams play and an undefeated TCU team would be playing in the Moth Bowl in Podunk, IA.

Honesty, fair play, none of that comes into play when money is on the line for media darling schools.

Not to pick on Blitz, but his statement is representative of the mentality of the majority ... doesn't matter if you win all your games. You are a fake, and a pretender, because you "didn't play anybody".

It is all moot though. TCU will please everyone by losing a game and then everyone can all say, "See, told you they weren't deserving all along."