[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HOW BOUT 'DEM BUCKEYES??!!!

BroncosLover

I keep hearing this from a buddy at work. But I just dont see it. USC is not better than Texas imo, and we all know what OU did to them. USC cant claim to have a single offensive player starting that would start for Texas right now.

I hate Texas, but that team is impressive with future NFL talent in Roy Williams, Bj Johnson, Vince Young and Cedric Benson. I dont see a single player USC has that compares to any of those 4. Let alone Texas has one of the nastiest OL in college football. Ask Nebraska who was ran on for 350 yds how impressvie they think Texas OL is. I just dont see a single team that can play with OU. USC might score 17 pts, maybe, but get 50 scored on them. I guess if thats what you want to see, then, OK.

Coffeeman:

That's right - the only team with the athletes and the game planning right now to hang with OU is USC.  Nobody wants to see a plodding, no-flair offensive Big 10 team get in there and hope to win 10-7.

The first sentence is pure speculation. Nobody has hung with Oklahoma thus far. Any team that thinks they can still needs to prove it.

The second sentence is totally wrong. There's plenty of people in the midwest that want to see a Big 10 team get in there, regardless of the style of offense.

As long as both teams win out, the best game for  national TV and fan excitement is OU & USC.
It's easy to make the argument that the best game for national TV and fan excitement is to match #1 ranked Oklahoma against last year's champion Ohio State.

OSU is the defending champs. They lost a game and if there were 2 undefeated teams, I would agree that OSU lost the chance to defend. But if the season ends with OSU among the 1-loss teams, certainly many fans would be excited about that matchup.

Including Oklahoma. Isn't knocking off last year's champions yourself more fun than having someone else beat them for you?

URLACHERisGOD:

I am with Ryan here.  I pray to God the Buckeyes win the rest of their games this year so the Sooners can beat them by 5 touchdowns in the Championship game.  Maybe then you fools will shut up.  Of course, there would be 6 months of excuses from you all but, eventually you will quiet down.

Just reading through these posts and had some comments. All that I've seen on these forums for the past year is everyone else whining about why the Bucks didn't deserve to win the National Championship. I'd take a closer look at yourself before condemning Buckeye fans for something that hasn't even happened.

I do agree that Oklahoma is the best team right now, as most would. And until OSU proves themselves, USC is the 2nd best.

Also, I've seen some people quoting comments made by sports writers and coaches to back up their position. Aren't the writers and coaches the ones who have OSU ranked above every team but 3 in both polls?

quote:

Originally posted by Coffeeman:

That's right - the only team with the athletes and the game planning right now to hang with OU is USC. Nobody wants to see a plodding, no-flair offensive Big 10 team get in there and hope to win 10-7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first sentence is pure speculation. Nobody has hung with Oklahoma thus far. Any team that thinks they can still needs to prove it.

The second sentence is totally wrong. There's plenty of people in the midwest that want to see a Big 10 team get in there, regardless of the style of offense.

Of course its speculation, dude, as are most opinions on this board! And its not just my speculation, but the speculation of a majority of the coaches and writers in the country. And you're right, there are plenty of midwest Homers who want to see their boring team get stomped by OU, but I can't help that. By "nobody" I guess I was referring to those people who have a blind hope for their team despite the obvious problems. OSU will get knocked of by UM in the Big House, so this will not matter....

KevinL:

Coffeeman:

That's right - the only team with the athletes and the game planning right now to hang with OU is USC.  Nobody wants to see a plodding, no-flair offensive Big 10 team get in there and hope to win 10-7.

As long as both teams win out, the best game for  national TV and fan excitement is OU & USC.
It's easy to make the argument that the best game for national TV and fan excitement is to match #1 ranked Oklahoma against last year's champion Ohio State.

OSU is the defending champs. They lost a game and if there were 2 undefeated teams, I would agree that OSU lost the chance to defend. But if the season ends with OSU among the 1-loss teams, certainly many fans would be excited about that matchup.

Including Oklahoma. Isn't knocking off last year's champions yourself more fun than having someone else beat them for you?

There is nothing OU would love more than to play OSU. OU feels like they were the best team in the country last yr, but had slip ups along the way and didnt get to prove it. This yr they have been on a mission.

Id love to see OU vs OSU. Then once and for all we'd see which team is the best, rather than all this speculation here all season long.

Sgt. Ryan:

There is nothing OU would love more than to play OSU.  OU feels like they were the best team in the country last yr, but had slip ups along the way and didnt get to prove it.

What? Logic?

Football is an every-game sport. OU lost last year. OU was not the best team in the nation. End of discussion. The ENTIRE season of 2002-03 was OU's chance to prove it. This is the system that makes football so great, if you don't show up for every game, you lose. There are no "slip-ups".

SGT - I respect your opinion. But please, please don't try to tell us that a team that lost (twice) is better than a team that did not lose at all.

Sgt. Ryan:

If thats the case, then Michigan or Texas isnt better than TCU.  Thats just not the way the ball bounces.  But this is not a subject I wish to argue.  OU is my team, and they blew a chance at a championship last yr, and are making up for those mistakes this yr..  End of Discussion...

Good point. I had erroneously assumed we were sticking to BCS conference schools.

Agreed to end discussion - but the discussion is what makes college football so much fun now isn't it? Playoffs do not belong here. Personally, I would miss the friendly arguments they might solve...

I'm not sure the Buckeyes can play the "underestimated" card twice in the National Championship game.

I live here......and I'm a fan....but I'm the first to admit that it's a little late in the season for the offense to gel NOW. I'm glad it's happening....but the next two games WILL be tough!

I think Navarre is average at best....we may get a few picks from him. And Perry is good....but we'll hold him to about 60 yards total IMO. But it is NOT enough to stop the other team....we HAVE to be able to score and capitilize on turnovers....something we've been sorely lacking at doing this year.

Let's not forget venue.......this game is IN Michigan.

And if we are fortunate enough to get to the "BIG" game...I DON'T think they (Oklahoma et.al.) are "dumb enough" to have victory parties the week BEFORE the game, before the game is even played. We can't dip into that well twice. wink

However....it WOULD be interesting to see these 2 defenses play. Who was it......who said the Bucks lost too many defensive players to the draft last year? Hmmmmmm.......Sarge? :D

Personally....after last year.....I think Stoops has his team in the "one week at a time" mode. They will not look ahead or believe their press. He's been very clear on that. They hiccupped a few times last year.....you can be sure that won't happen again this year.

So....whoever plays them will have to bring their absolute BEST game. If the Bucks beat Michigan and Purdue....I'm not sure they'll have a BEST game left. :rolleyes:

That being said....Go Bucks....lol. thumbs_u

If USC and OSU both win out, OSU will probably go to the Sugar, based on a better SOS down the stretch. And if they do, they deserve it and I'll be more pissed than ever at the Trojans losing to the lowly Cal Bears.

By the same token, USC has a much better chance to win out, so if I was a betting man, my money would be on them...