[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Possible BCS Quandary

URLACHERisGOD

I was thinking yesterday about this year's BCS race and the most odd thing I've ever thought about in regards to the BCS hit me. This situation is not likely, but is at least theoretically possible, which means if not this year, it could happen some future year, and is something that would screw up the BCS. Throw out your personal allegiances to your favorite team and consider this for a moment:

If OSU, LSU and USC all loose, which is possible since LSU plays Ole' Miss and a championship game, and plays MSU at home where in Sherrils last game anything's possible. OSU has Michigan, and USC has UCLA. If all 3 lost, then #2 becomes Texas. Not likely, but bear with me. Let's assume for a minute here.

If OU looses to KState in the Big 12 title game (not likely, but possible) OU will still have enough points to remain #2 in the BCS. So the title game would be #1 Texas Vs #2 OU in the Suger bowl.

Now here's where it gets fun. Kansas State, who would be the winner of the Big 12 would be shut out of the BCS since no more than two teams from any conference can be in bcs bowls. So in effect the winner of the conference gets shut out of a BCS Bowl while two teams that didn't even win their own conference play for all the marbles.

Yet the BCS not only contractually assures #1 vs #2, but also assures each conference winner a spot in a BCS bowl.

What in the heck would the BCS do? They managed to assure only 2 things in the system and it's theoretically possible to not be able to deliver both. Any thoughts?

Sgt. Ryan:

Texas is the 2nd best team in the country without a doubt... Texas with 2 losses would rip the Athena out of LSU, OSU or USC if they lined um up this Saturday.

You mean the same Texas that lost at home to unranked Arkansas, got demolished at home by OU, and came thisclose to losing yet a third home game this past weekend against unranked Texas Tech?

Please do go on about how wonderful the Longhorns are, and how no other team outside of OU has any chance to beat them. It's fascinating.

Sgt. Ryan:

And Id love to play Texas again.  How pathetic would it be for the Big 10 to talk trash all yr about how weak the Big 12 is and the top 2 teams in the country play for all the marbles again.

Texas is the 2nd best team in the country without a doubt, and we all saw what OU did to them the first time.  This is what these Big 10 supporters dont understand.  Its not where you start, its how you finish.  Texas with 2 losses would rip the Athena out of LSU, OSU or USC if they lined um up this Saturday.

Apparantly, asking one simple favor: "Throw out your personal allegiances to your favorite team and consider this for a moment" is asking too much from some people. Even though I do agree with you Sarge, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a reduntant "my dad can beat up your dad" thread like every other thread in this forum. Thought it was just a theroetical quandary that may be of some interest to people.

Is it too much to ask to get an unbiased opinion? I'm a hardcore Sooner fan, too but, for the sake of hypothetical posibilities that would pose an interesting scenario for the BCS, I even said: "If OU looses to KState in the Big 12 title game (not likely, but possible)". Just trying to get something out there other than the same old stuff over and over and over, etc...

davearm:

Sgt. Ryan:

Texas is the 2nd best team in the country without a doubt... Texas with 2 losses would rip the Athena out of LSU, OSU or USC if they lined um up this Saturday.

You mean the same Texas that lost at home to unranked Arkansas, got demolished at home by OU, and came thisclose to losing yet a third home game this past weekend against unranked Texas Tech?

Please do go on about how wonderful the Longhorns are, and how no other team outside of OU has any chance to beat them. It's fascinating.

Please refer to my above post. Point and Case.

Excellent point Url. But are you sure about the rule that 3 teams from the same conference can't play in BCS bowls?

It seems like the 8 teams can be 1 vs 2 in the Sugar Bowl, and the 6 BCS conference champions in the other 3 bowls.

The team that's left out would be any non-champion or non-BCS-conference team that ends up in the spots 3-6. (For example TCU)

Even if the teams you say lose do indeed lose, I think it is likely that Oklahoma stays at BCS#1 and Michigan moves to BCS#2 jumping Texas based on SOS, Computer Rankings, & Quality Win points from the OSU win.

Sgt. Ryan:

Texas with 2 losses would rip the Athena out of LSU, OSU or USC if they lined um up this Saturday.

BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Whatever it is that you are smoking, please share it with the rest of us. Texas couldn't beat any of those 3.

Kansas State 2000:

The Big 12 has reached an agreement with the BCS that should Kansas State/Mizzouri beat Oklahoma in the BIG 12 championship game that the conference champion would get a BCS bid thus leaving Texas out.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention KState. I was not aware of that.

URLACHERisGOD:

Sgt. Ryan:

And Id love to play Texas again.  How pathetic would it be for the Big 10 to talk trash all yr about how weak the Big 12 is and the top 2 teams in the country play for all the marbles again.

Texas is the 2nd best team in the country without a doubt, and we all saw what OU did to them the first time.  This is what these Big 10 supporters dont understand.  Its not where you start, its how you finish.  Texas with 2 losses would rip the Athena out of LSU, OSU or USC if they lined um up this Saturday.

Apparantly, asking one simple favor: "Throw out your personal allegiances to your favorite team and consider this for a moment" is asking too much from some people. Even though I do agree with you Sarge, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a reduntant "my dad can beat up your dad" thread like every other thread in this forum. Thought it was just a theroetical quandary that may be of some interest to people.

Is it too much to ask to get an unbiased opinion? I'm a hardcore Sooner fan, too but, for the sake of hypothetical posibilities that would pose an interesting scenario for the BCS, I even said: "If OU looses to KState in the Big 12 title game (not likely, but possible)". Just trying to get something out there other than the same old stuff over and over and over, etc...

WOW! We actually found a reasonable Sooners fan. thumbs_u