[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big 12 vs Lil 10

Sgt. Ryan

As I said all yr the end of the reg season would determine which conference was superior and it has come to fruition as I expected

Currently the Big 12 has 5 teams in the BCS top 25. If Nebraksa beats Colorado on Friday all 5 will remain in the final BCS poll before the bowls begin.

The Lil 10 who bragged about 7 teams in the polls to the Big 12 6 earlier in the yr can sit back and say what could have been.

BTW, the Big 12 will have a representative playing for the National Championship while the Lil 10 champ will most likely play and lose to the #3 team in the Big 12, Texas. The top 2 Big 12 teams will play a week from Saturday to determine the Big 12 Champ. OU could even lose the game and make the title game, because of their strength of schedule and quality wins, plus their high computer ranking and the fact most predict they will still be #1 in at least 1 poll with a loss. OU isnt going to lose, but its pretty impressive to know what you have already accomplished has been recognized by so many.

Like I said at seasons end we will compare again. But there is definately a shift in the BCS poll from the days of the Lil 10 being recognized as a strong conference.

BCS Standings

1 Oklahoma (B12)

4 Michigan (B10)

5 Ohio State (B10)

6 Texas (B12)

12 Iowa (B10)

14 Purdue (B10)

16 K State (B12)

21 Ok State (B12)

23 Nebraska (B12)

So strictly comparing rankings, the big 12 wins at #1 (Oklahoma over Michigan) and #5 (Nebraska over the next Big 10 team)

The big 10 wins at #2 (Ohio State over Texas), #3 (Iowa over K State) and #4 (Purdue over Ok State).

You could argue this one either way. The Big 12 has the #1 team, which is definitely worth something.

But then the Big 10 teams 2-4 are ranked higher than the Big 12 teams 2-4.

The BCS is published to 25 so the Big 12 wins the battle of #5. If the BCS was published to #20, then the Big 10 would have 4 teams in still and the Big 12 would only have 3. Publishing only the top 15 would be even worse for the Big 12.

ESPN / USA Today Poll

1 Oklahoma

4 Michigan

6 Texas

7 Ohio State

12 Iowa

13 Purdue

14 K State

22 Minnesota

23 Nebraska

24 Ok State

5 teams each. Big 12 is higher ranked at 1 & 2 (Oklahoma over Michigan & Texas over OSU). Big 10 is higher ranked at 3, 4, 5 (Iowa over K State, Purdue over Nebraska, Minnesota over Ok State)

Again, could argue this either way.

AP Poll

1 Oklahoma

4 Michigan

6 Texas

8 Ohio State

12 Purdue

13 Iowa

14 K State

23 Ok State

25 Nebraska

Same story here, take out Minnesota from the ESPN.

In summary, the Big 12 has the #1 team. Which #2 is better is debatable as the polls favor Texas but the BCS favors OSU.

The Big Ten #3 & #4 teams, Purdue & Iowa both consistently rank ahead of the Big 12's #3 team.

The Big 12's #5 Nebraska ranks ahead of the Big 12 #5 Minnesota in 2 of the 3 systems analyzed.

Both conferences are very strong. Depending how deep you go you could make an argument for either one being stronger, but I don't think it's definitive either way.

Bring on the bowls.

Well if we don't argue, why don't we just close these boards all season and open them right after the bowls and have a week where you can say "congrats <whoever wins>" and "nice try <whoever loses>"

You know why we argue, dude, and you love it just like the rest of us.

KevinL:

You know why we argue, dude, and you love it just like the rest of us.

So true! Posting on boards like this one has emerged as a sport in and of itself! Some are good at it, some are bad at it, but just about everybody has a fiercely competitive attitude!

I wonder how things would shake out if we had our own little BCS system to rank the knowledge and forensics skills of the posters on this board...

I don't get the whole "our conference is better than yours" thing - who cares? I don't root for a conference to win its games, I root for one team - Trojans. Trying to "prove" that one team is better than another by the overall strength of the conference they play in is downright silly, and has no basis of logic.

Back in the day, USC used to play in a conference that was very weak, and this year the Pac-10 has unfortunately reverted to form. However, the Trojans would still go to South Bend and kick butt and win in the Rose Bowl vs. either OSU or Wolverines consistently. And they won a few NC's (or co-NCs) also.

Except in the years that they LOST to those teams, who were obviously the cream of their (otherwise weak) conferences also. Meanwhile, Nebraska, Texas, Alabama or Oklahoma would blow out everyone else in their conference (in any given year) and go win a championship - unless it was FSU from the "mighty" ACC or the 'Canes from the "mighty" Big East.

Gimme a break - most of the other teams in those conferences blow too. In any given year a team can rise up and dominate - and this year it is the Sooners' turn. They are scary good, and who cares about the rest of the Big12, except KSU fans? Saying OU (or USC) "hasn't played anybody" is just lame - these guys have just kicked ass all year.

The second most dominating team, so far, is the Trojans, who (besides 1 loss) have won their 10 games this year by an average of over 26 points and have scored at least 40 in their last 6 games. Except for sometimes shaky special teams, they don't suck, and deserve to be #2.

If I had to rank the conferences this year, I'd go Big10/Big12 (tied), SEC, Pac-10, BigEast, MAC, then everyone else. But....no Big10 team will be in the big dance - OU and probably USC (or LSU) will go.

Last year's NC game was a classic, and here's to hoping this year's one is just as good. And it will be played by players from just two teams, not all-star players chosen from the best two conferences...

smash

Just thought I throw my bit in:

LSU - 3

Georgia - 7

Tennessee - 8

Florida - 11

Mississippi - 18

Arkansas - 24

That's 6 teams from the SEC in the BCS Top 25.

And as long as I'm talking, I'd again like to point out that not only did Florida play every one of those ranked SEC teams, they also played Miami-10 and FSU-9.

I am NOT saying that Florida is anywhere as strong as Oklahoma, but I wonder how many teams would go undefeated with Florida's schedule (with a true freshman at QB).

Fans like to build up their conference as evidence of the superiority of their team.

Oklahoma fans want to believe the Big 12 is a strong conference, it reinforces the argument that Oklahoma is the best team since they are winning games 50-11 on average.

Ohio State fans want to believe the Big 10 is a strong conference, it justifies the losses. "We only lost to Big 10 teams. Big 10 teams are the only ones good enough to beat other Big 10 teams"

The fact is, conference results really are of little use in determining which conference is stronger. It's the non-conference games that make a difference.

Big 10 is 29-14 in non-conference games, with 3 undefeated teams (OSU, Iowa, Minn). Big 12 is 37-12 with 4 undefeated teams (Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma, Ok State). Which brings up the strength of schedule argument.

By the way, OSU had better plan on winning the battle of the polls next year because SOS will not be their friend. Non-conference games are Cincinnati, Marshall, & NC State. They play a home & home vs Texas in 2005-06 though.

The Sporting News ranked the conferences and, in order, they were 1)SEC; 2)Big Ten; 3)Big 12 (with the comment "aside from Oklahoma, does any team really scare you? And please don't say 'Texas'").

IMHO, Ohio State is grossly over-rated in the polls however, I would say that Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan are all better than Texas, Ohio State, KState, and OKState.
I agree with most of what you write, but Ohio State beat Iowa and Purdue! To say that those two are better than Texas or OSU is nuts!!!

Even though I'm a die-hard Buckeye fan (have been since I was old enough to understand football) I've been saying all year that Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten. It's a shame they didn't show up and win at least one of their two losses, as I feel they're the second best team in the country. I know, USC and LSU only have one loss, but that doesn't make either better than Michigan.

When you look at a combination of passing, running and defense, Michigan would be best equipped to give Oklahoma a good game.

stevetatro

Ohio State beat Iowa and Purdue!  To say that those two are better than Texas or OSU is nuts!!!

Current BCS Rankings

6 Texas 17

12 Iowa 15

13 Purdue 34

22 Oklahoma State 55

BCS SOS Rankings

7 Iowa 15

8 Texas 17

11 Purdue 34

18 Oklahoma State 55

If you look at the numbers, they were AS good vs comparable schedules strength-wise.