[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Hoops

muck

justin:

QUESTION: When was the last time a NC emerged from the Big 12?  

Of the current Big 12 teams, the last national champion was Kansas in 1988.

In the 15 years since then, here are national championships, by conference:

ACC - 5

SEC - 3

Big Ten - 2

Pac Ten - 2

Big East - 2

Here are Final Four appearances, by conference:

ACC - 16

SEC - 10

Big Ten - 12

Pac Ten - 5

Big East - 5

Big 12 - 7

Kansas has made 4 of those 7 trips to the Final Four. Oklahoma has 2, and OK St. and Texas have 1 each.

Please tell me you Big 12 homers aren't so far off your rockers that you really think your conference is "the best conference in basketball". At best, the Big 12 is on par with the Pac Ten, Big East, and even C-USA (Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Marquette). The ACC, SEC, and Big Ten are all stronger.

This yr dumbass. Its so convenient for Big 10 fans to list the number of yrs that benefit them.

Fact is this yr the Big 10 is much weaker than the ACC and the Big 12. And just like I said with college football, lets wait and see. But it already doesnt look good when Mich St loses to Kansas.

The Big 12 has 5 teams in the top 25, while the Big 10 has 3 and the best just got beat by the best of the Big 12. If you go to the top 30 teams based on others receiving votes the Big 12 has 7 to the Lil 10s still only 3. So dont give me the Big 10 is any good at basketball. You will be schooled each and every week if you want to start down this road this yr.

College football has been very close thus far, but Im hoping the Fiesta takes LSU and Texas goes to the Rose and destroys Michigan to leave no doubt which conference is the best. When OU wins the title, and the #3 team in the Big 12 beats the best of the Lil 10, this argument will be over for good.

Guest Grim Reeper

Ahem...just a little fuel for the fire

Purdue 78

(2)Duke 68

Oh, can someone tell me who the he11

AR Pine Bluff is ?????

As it turns out, it would be Oklahoma's

next "opponent" in B-Ball... :D

C'mon Ryan, face it: every year the Big 12 is Kansas and everyone else. Once in a while a team like Oklahoma or Texas (or even Missouri since Quin Snyder's been there) will make some noise, but that's more the exception than the rule. Meanwhile, every year more than half of the Big 12 teams are anywhere from average to awful.

The elite conferences (including the Big Ten), on the other hand, produce several quality, ranked teams year in and year out. I know in our league, 6 or 7 teams typically get bids to the NCAA tournament, and more often than not, at least one to advances to the Final Four. You simply can't say that about the Big 12.

Will this year be any different? Maybe so. Regardless, you're putting an awful lot of stock in the notoriously-inaccurate early-season polls.

untateve:

#2 - Florida Gators

.....have to play a pretty tough Maryland team that beat Wisconsin last night. Maryland's got a tough run this week (WISC last night) playing Gonzonga Saturday and probably G Mason Sunday. Then down to Gainsville in a re-match of last years game in which UF came to UMD and beat them in their own house. Time for PAYBACK!! wink

davearm:

C'mon Ryan, face it: every year the Big 12 is Kansas and everyone else.  Once in a while a team like Oklahoma or Texas (or even Missouri since Quin Snyder's been there) will make some noise, but that's more the exception than the rule.  Meanwhile, every year more than half of the Big 12 teams are anywhere from average to awful.

The elite conferences (including the Big Ten), on the other hand, produce several quality, ranked teams year in and year out.  I know in our league, 6 or 7 teams typically get bids to the NCAA tournament, and more often than not, at least one to advances to the Final Four.  You simply can't say that about the Big 12.

Will this year be any different?  Maybe so.  Regardless, you're putting an awful lot of stock in the notoriously-inaccurate early-season polls.

Lets just say in the past the Big 10 was one of the best B Ball conferences, but in the last 3 yrs this trend is quickly changing. OU has won what 3 big 12 Tourney titles in a row now. So they have been here a while. Texas went to the final 4 last yr and OU and Kansas the yr before that. OU lost to Syracuse in the bracket final to reach the final 4 last yr. I wouldnt call Wisconsins 2 yr Lil 10 Champ titles the last 2 yrs a huge accomplishment. What have they done in the tourney.

The Big 12 is turning into a powerhouse conference and the Big 10 overall is clearly slipping in the last few yrs. And didnt Self just leave Ill to go to a Big 12 team.

Sgt. Ryan:

I wouldnt call Wisconsins 2 yr Lil 10 Champ titles the last 2 yrs a huge accomplishment.  What have they done in the tourney.

Wisconsin's recent NCAA Tournament performance is nothing to sneeze at:

2000: Final Four (beat #1 seed Arizona, lost to #1 seed and eventual champ Michigan St.)

2001: Upset in opening round

2002: 2nd Round (lost to #1 seed and eventual champ Maryland)

2003: Sweet 16 (lost to #1 seed Kentucky)

Meanwhile, Oklahoma's recent tournament experience is:

* knocked out by Mich. St. in 1999

* knocked out by Purdue in 2000

* knocked out by Indiana in 2002

The Big Ten has had teams in the thick of things come March for a long long time. Outside of Kansas, the Big 12 has not. In recent years Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Texas, have emerged, that's true. Unless/until you sustain it, though, I'd not put the "powerhouse" label on there yet.

ACC puts Big Ten to Shame

By Gregg Doyel

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The ACC-Big Ten Challenge was no challenge. A 3-pointer is a challenge. A turnaround jump shot is a challenge. This was a dunk, a layup, a free throw.

The ACC went 7-for-9, eek! a 77.8 percentage that doesn't do justice to its dominance over the Big Ten. This statistic does it justice: Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State lost by a combined 75 points to Wake Forest, Duke and Georgia Tech. lol

And Michigan State and Ohio State were at home

Kansas State 2000:

ACC puts Big Ten to Shame

That's for sure! The ACC is stronger than the Big Ten and they certainly proved it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were one or two early season "conference challenge" Saturdays in football too? Big Ten vs. Big 12 would be fantastic, and it even has a loosely regional appeal. The SEC vs. the the newly-configured ACC would be great too. Do it the first Saturday of September every year -- everybody in the participating conferences leave that date open, and pairings for the following season are determined in the spring.

Dave, who do you think you are, trying to hijack this b-ball topic back over to football on the College Football forum?? What about my challenge to all you guys about volleyball and water polo??

My sarcastic tongue is so far in my sarcastic cheek, it hurts....

Coffee --

Funny thing is, 2 or 3 years ago Nebraska and Wisconsin met in the NCAA women's volleyball finals. (The sidelight to that is, the Cornhuskers' coach had been the Badgers' coach two years prior, and had recruited the core of our team.)

We're not so competitive in water polo though, owing to our pools being frozen over so much of the year. :P

The ACC is a combined 38-3!! for a 92.7 win percentage eek! with wins over #1 UConn, #5 Mich St. #11 Illinois, #13 Wisconsin, and has 5 teams in the top 25 (56% of the league) and 4 of the top 16 (45% of the league) How can you argue with that?

Clearly the ACC is the best conference in the country, followed by Big Ten, Conf USA, Big 12 and Big East.

I do give the Big 12 BBall program a lot of credit however, unlike their football program, the BBall program has the BALLS to schedule some quality out of conference games, only wish the football program would, so the country could see how average the competition really is :D