[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 questions on OU and USC vs. LSU?

I read that if OU loses to Kansas State, they are still a lock to play in the national championship game. I think that is total BCS BS. What do you think?

Who is more deserving of the 1 loss teams, USC or LSU? The argument has been all along that LSU's schedule is weaker (primarily because of the non-conference slate) than USC's, but LSU has played Arkansas (who blew up Texas), Florida (ranked 11th until FSU beat them last week in a thriller), Ole Miss (ranked in top 20 until LSU beat them), and will have played Georgia (ranked 5th even though LSU beat them) twice after Saturday. USC has played a sorry Notre Dame team, Washington State with 3 losses-2 to lesser teams, Oregon and soon Oregon State. To heck with the pansy non-conference section of the two schedules, the real meat of the schedule looks tougher for LSU than USC. I feel that USC has not been tested or proved themselves and their loss was to Cal for heaven's sake. I think USC is #2 in the polls primarily because they loss earlier in the year by a couple of weeks or so. Who do you think deserves to be #2?

I couldn't agree with you more. I think the BCS is BS - read my post. Besides Pac10 football doesn't even come close to what is seen in the SEC. Case in point remember Alabama kept it close with OU, yeah it was earlier on in the year but come on. I personally think LSU would beat OU. All we would need to do is shut down there QB. People, especially ESPN commentators, don't realize how much talent LSU has. Not to mention how young we are and the fact that we have the #1 recruiting class last year. Saban will have the boys ready and word around campus is NO RESPECT. Well after this weekend I think LSU will get plenty.

Even as a huge Trojans fan, I'd have to agree that IF LSU can beat UGA again, they deserve to be in the Sugar due to a superior conference SOS, although some of their non-conf. foes are a joke. Through no fault of their own, Trojans will suffer due to the piss-poor Pac10 this year, even as we were helped (just lucky) by the #1 SOS last year - which is how we got to the Orange with a 10-2 record. The only "fault" is losing the stinking Cal dammit! At least LSU lost to a decent Gator team...

However, the chances of LSU losing to the improving Dawgs on a neutral field is much greater than USC losing to the Beavers at home - which hasn't happened since 1960. So ironically, that very same tough SOS for LSU could propel USC to the Sugar. I also like the fact that if LSU does win and edges USC out, I can just go down the street to the Rose Bowl to root for my team on Jan 1. And like the Sooners last year, we can win in a blowout in the Rose and go undefeated next year on our way to the NC game.

But if I was a betting man and could only put money on one team to win Saturday, it would have to be the Trojans...

Like the Tigers, Trojans are also very young - only losing a couple seniors on both sides of the ball next year - so I look forward to this debate going on for years. Who knows, maybe the two teams can even play each other soon. All I can say for Saturday is:

GO TROJANS, GO DAWGS AND GO IRISH (that last one hurts to say, but oh well...)

SaintsFanUnfortunately:

I read that if OU loses to Kansas State, they are still a lock to play in the national championship game.  I think that is total BCS BS.  What do you think?

Unfortunately the are the best team in the country and a fluke loss would do nothing to change that.

SaintsFanUnfortunately:

Who is more deserving of the 1 loss teams, USC or LSU?  The argument has been all along that LSU's schedule is weaker (primarily because of the non-conference slate) than USC's, but LSU has played Arkansas (who blew up Texas), Florida (ranked 11th until FSU beat them last week in a thriller), Ole Miss (ranked in top 20 until LSU beat them), and will have played Georgia (ranked 5th even though LSU beat them) twice after Saturday.  USC has played a sorry Notre Dame team, Washington State with 3 losses-2 to lesser teams, Oregon and soon Oregon State.  To heck with the pansy non-conference section of the two schedules, the real meat of the schedule looks tougher for LSU than USC.  I feel that USC has not been tested or proved themselves and their loss was to Cal for heaven's sake.  I think USC is #2 in the polls primarily because they loss earlier in the year by a couple of weeks or so. Who do you think deserves to be #2?

It does not matter. And I'm no OU fan.

Hey...all the schools agree to participate in the BSC Championship. If theywanted a different system, they would work one out.

As for LSU or USC going to the Sugar Bowl, it's in LSU's hands. If they beat Georgia they will almost certainly jump ahead of USC in the BCS standings. If they lose, then USC certainly deserves to go.

gorbie:

As for LSU or USC going to the Sugar Bowl, it's in LSU's hands.  If they beat Georgia they will almost certainly jump ahead of USC in the BCS standings.

Folks familiar with the details of the BCS would certainly disagree with this statement. LSU is already roughly 1.5 points behind USC, and they stand to lose their QW points by beating Georgia and knocking the Bulldogs down the BCS rankings.

At this stage LSU's only hope of making the Sugar is to win and have USC lose.

On jan 5 it wont matter too much. OU is going to put a 40 spot on whoever they play and likely wont give up more than 10 pts in the National Championship.

LSU isnt going to beat UGA again, and USC may even lose to Oregon St for that matter leaving Michigan as the #2 team by the end of next weekend.

Both LSU and USC are inferior teams to OU by a long shot. Neither can compete with the boys from Norman and whoever if either of these 2 get to play the Sooners will be outclassed. This wont even be close. Saban is a fraud imo, hes leaving LSU as soon as a NFL jobs comes a calling. He doesnt give a rats ass about LSU, wait and see.

And those thinking Bama keeping it close to OU in the seasons second game should ask themselves one thing. When your team kept it close they lost the game. End of discussion.

And LSU played LA Monroe, Arizona and Western Ill as non conference. Is there a bigger joke of a non conference schedule out there. And the SEC south is by far the weak sister of the SEC. No Tenn on your schedule, you lost to Fla and will lose to GA on Saturday. LSU wont even be in a BCS bowl, let alone the title game.

USC is the 2nd best team in the country and hopefully they wont stump their toe and we will get to see a somewhat entertaining game for a half anyway.

Sgt. Ryan:

LSU isnt going to beat UGA again, and USC may even lose to Oregon St for that matter leaving Michigan as the #2 team by the end of next weekend.

While I would think under this scenario Texas would be #2, if your prediction happens we'll have to get together for the game and I'll definitely put my money where my mouth is.

Go Blue! thumbs_u

Clubfoothead:

Sgt. Ryan:

While I would think under this scenario Texas would be #2Texas has absolutely no chance to move up to #2 in the BCS. They trail Michigan by a full 5 points, and neither team plays again before the final standings are tabulated.

Besides, if GA beats LSU, then the Bulldogs will easily move ahead of Texas in the BCS (GA currently trails TX by only 0.15 BCS points).

In fact, Texas would be left out of the four BCS bowls altogether if KState beats Oklahoma.

Sgt. Ryan:

And those thinking Bama keeping it close to OU in the seasons second game should ask themselves one thing.  When your team kept it close they lost the game.  End of discussion.

Amen Sarge! Last second win or halftime blowout, it's like Al Davis says, "Just Win Baby"

Yeah, no one wants to see TX get embarrassed by OU again, so the pollsters would make sure they don't move up to #2. If both USC and LSU lose, either GA or Michigan would move up to that #2 spot, and I would think it would be Michigan.

But...USC has not lost to the Beavers in L.A. since 1960, and Ike was our President! This is not the year that "The Beavs" can do it; so sorry LSU fans, your team had better win by a large margin over UGA and Syracuse had better beat the Irish, or you are not Sugar-bound. My mantra again:

GO TROJANS, GO DAWGS, AND GO IRISH (only if necessary, its hard to root for those Domers...)

Coffeeman:

Really, again?!  Are they at home, and who are they playing?  They did it against Alabama for us, but I don't want to have to go to that well very often.  And if its away from Hawaii, forget it...

At home this weekend against #18 Bosie State (sp?). Heard Jerry Paul on the radio this morning who said if both LSU and USC win and Hawaii wins it should gaurantee USC the Sugar Bowl.

I'll gladly bump this one back to the surface!

Sarge wrote to us earlier in the week:

"On jan 5 it wont matter too much. OU is going to put a 40 spot on whoever they play and likely wont give up more than 10 pts in the National Championship.

Both LSU and USC are inferior teams to OU by a long shot. Neither can compete with the boys from Norman and whoever if either of these 2 get to play the Sooners will be outclassed. This wont even be close. Saban is a fraud imo, hes leaving LSU as soon as a NFL jobs comes a calling. He doesnt give a rats ass about LSU, wait and see."

NOT!!!! UGA went down again Sarge. Saban is a class act and the hardest working coach in America. I have met the guy and he definitely leaves an impression on you how dedicated he is. He could have had an NFL job a long time ago. His family likes BR and doesn't want to move again. And LSU will pay him whatever he wants, competitive with the NFL.

So much for the so-called best college team in history.

Geaux Tigers!

thumbs_u