[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USC Got Screwed

Kansas State 2000

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont feel sorry for USC. They have no conference title game, to stumble in. had OU not had to play in the Big 12 Championship game, USC would not be #1 in any poll. Second, they have the easiest road to a national Title this yr. All they have to do is beat the #4 team in the country to get a split national Championship.

While OU and LSU will duke it out for the BCS Title.

Split tiles are ludicrous, but its happened so many times even before the BCS, thats the real reason the BCS was formed and its going to fail again this yr. In 2000 when Fla St went over Miami there was talk when Fla St beat OU in the Orange bowl, the Canes would win a split championship as they beat FSU and would be ranked #1 in the polls. Well that didnt happen that yr as OU went on to win and finish the yr 13-0.

How in the hell can you guys say USC got screwed!!!! I believe the sports writers are putting to much weight on OU's loss to K-State.

LSU's one loss was to Florida who finished the season 8-4, and USC's one loss was to the Cal Bears who finished 7-6. OU's loss was to who?????? The BIG XII Champ that finished the season 11-3(which I believe is the only team that played 14 games).IMO the standings if anything should be LSU then OU then USC. Say what you want but until the Lil 10 (pac and big) conferences step up and spilt into divisions and have a Championship Game then call me sily call me rude, but call me please!!!!!!!!!!!

GO MICHIGAN BEAT THE HELL OUT OF USC!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have such a problem with the fact that OU lost yesterday. Had the game been close... nay, had OU showed up and played competitively... I'd agree with Sgt. Ryan's point and cut 'em a little slack. The reason I think OU doesn't belong there is the way they lost yesterday. It's almost as if they didn't show up to play... hearts and minds weren't in the game, and I find that less forgivable than a simple loss. But in the end, the votes of a handful of number-crunching geeks who, as a group, get a vote in the BCS equal to the two major polls, decided OU should be ranked 1.17, resulted in OU placing 1.04 points lower than USC at the end of the season. Had the game with K-state resembeled a division-I football game, I would concur with the final result. But not the way events unfolded yesterday.

And next gripe... I would have thought the first 8 teams, by bcs rank, would wind up in one of the 4 major bowls. That dóesn't happen. #10 K-state and #9 Miami get to play in a major bowl, while #6 Texas and #8 Tennessee get lesser bowls. Tennessee gets to play Clemson in the Peach Bowl. (why bother to watch this?), while Texas gets Washington State in the Holiday Bowl (does anyone know where this is played?) (OK, I looked into it... it's Tuesday, December 30 in San Diego. I'll be sure to mark my calendar.)

Sgt. Ryan:

I dont feel sorry for USC. They have no conference title game, to stumble in.  had OU not had to play in the Big 12 Championship game, USC would not be #1 in any poll. 

That's true, but OU did have to play in their conference championship game and got HAMMERED! It wasn't even close, they got destroyed.

I hate the polls, and I hate the BCS, but in the current system there is no way any team should lose their last game and still get to play for the National Championship... college football is a joke.

I hope LSU and USC win their bowl games in blowouts and we get a split national championship again -- anything so that we can get a playoff system as soon as possible.

Three 1-loss teams, there's no way (without a playoff) they all can play for the championship.

The system did what it is designed to do. If they wanted the #1 poll team to play the #2 poll team then there would be no computer rankings, strength of schedule, or quality win component.

If you want a playoff (and I think almost all fans agree we do) then controversy like this is what may eventually bring it about.

untateve:

as i defend florida,

we lost close games to miami, fsu, tenn, and ole miss - all ranked teams.  we also defeated lsu, georgia, arkansas.

not bad for a team with true freshman at qb.

Whats the head shrinker term? Some kind of justification, like munchausen by proxy. You cant see the sorriness of the gators because of your mental blinders. 8-4 sux. Go aggies!!!

Heres the problem. OU knew they were in the title game regardless and obviously played uninspired. Also, College football would never admit this, but you pit OU vs USC, or OU vs LSU, and the line would be OU giving up pts to either team. Who do you think has a better grip on whos better than who, Vegas or the coaches/writers who penalize teams who lose late in the yr. For every sports writer that said OU was one of the top 5 best teams ever, the exact same guys are saying this team doesnt deserve to be in the Sugar. A Team doesnt go get this bad, this quickly. If you saw the Pete Carroll interview, you saw hes happy as hell to be playing Michigan for a piece of the title, rather than OU or LSU. He aint no dummy, we knock of the lil tens best in our own back yard or travel to NO and play LSU or OU. If given the choice, hed lay up and stay in the Rose if he knew a piece of the title was his by playing Michigan instead of LSU or OU.

Bottom line, this was in essence a meaningless game for OU, like it is to NFL teams the last week of the yr once home field is wrapped up. They had lil to gain, and nothing to lose if they dropped an egg. They did and here we are.

little to gain, other than a conference championship.

by the way, props to Sarge, Urlacher, & McSooner for hanging around and taking it like a man. Props to Sarge especially for posting in pretty much every assanine thread started by fans of a certain team (what an embarassment).

(to the tune of Van Halen's "Jamie's Cryin")

"Oh, oh, oh, Sarge is cryin..."

So much for Sarge's team being unbeatable on a neutral field - holy s-hitcakes Batman! No excuses, dude, you guys are #3 and are not even a conference winner - very lucky to get Sugar.

Sooners looked lame, and yes, when USC beats UM we will have a split national championship. Only two teams will have 1 loss, and USC might end up #1 in one or both polls. By contract, the coaches have to give their NC votes to the Sugar winner, but the AP (writers) can give theirs to USC, so we split.

Until we have a playoff, there is almost no such thing as an "undisputed" national champion. BCS got lucky last year with only 2 unbeaten teams, but this year reverts to history. BTW, the only ay we will get a playoff is to vote with our wallets and feet - don't go to the bowls or watch the games in protest. All the "outrage" doesn't matter, because the fatcats keep getting thier money, there is no real motivation to change.

That kind of serious boycott has a snowball's chance in hell, so a playoff is very unlikely...

Also, College football would never admit this, but you pit OU vs USC, or OU vs LSU, and the line would be OU giving up pts to either team

Note: Vegas Lines do not directly correlate to the quality of one team versus the other. The line reflects the public's expected betting behavior. In other words, the line reflects the team's perceived value per the betting public.

Sorry about your loss, Sarge. But seeing Michigan vs. USC in the Rose Bowl in a true Big versus Pac 10 matchup makes this alum's nipples stand up! I lost interest in the Sugar Bowl on October 4th.

davearm:

USC didn't really want to play in the Sugar?

Oklahoma didn't have anything to play for?

Do you have any sense of how preposterous these statements are Ryan?

USC got left out because they were the 3rd best team, PERIOD. The polls reward teams that lose early and penalize teams that lose late.

Bottom line is this. The SEC and Big 12 have Conference Championship Games. OU lost this game, but based on the way the other conferences are set up, they are the Big 12 champs. OU beat Texas and had a better conference record than KSU or anyone else in the Big 12. If we had an even playing field then that would be one thing. But the way NCAA football is setup its kind of a joke that some conferences can penalize their teams in a game other conferences dont have.

Had OU not played in this game, or had they won the game, would USC be screwed because they were jumped by LSU. Clearly not the the level people are saying today.

dirtyleaguecommish:

I lost interest in the Sugar Bowl on October 4th.

I did on September 20 although I guess I still had hope until October 4th. Whoever decided to schedule Oregon a week after the ND games before anyone realized how bad the Irish were should be fored. I thought we'd lose that game before the season started.