[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason White wins the Heisman

justin

Kansas State 2000:

Thanks great I guess, but does anyone really expect him to be a decent NFL QB?

Why would expect otherwise? All the other QBs like Gino Toretta, Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerffel and Ty Detmer have had great careers.

Kansas State 2000:

Thanks great I guess, but does anyone really expect him to be a decent NFL QB?

I think he might be decent. He seems to have pretty good arm strength and great accuracy. The knnes bother me greatly however.

Heisman lol

This award has been a joke for the last 15 to 20 years!! Who cares who wins, the only thing the winner has look foward to, is a late round draft selection and an early exit in the pros.

The Heisman award will only gain the prominence it should have when it is given to colleges' best player!! When's the last time that happened? White isn't even close!! I think at least 6 other QB's will be taken ahead of him in the draft, isn't that the true measure of someone's college career?

theeohiostate:

Heisman lol

This award has been a joke for the last 15 to 20 years!! Who cares who wins, the only thing the winner has look foward to, is a late round draft selection and an early exit in the pros.

The Heisman award will only gain the prominence it should have when it is given to colleges' best player!! When's the last time that happened? White isn't even close!! I think at least 6 other QB's will be taken ahead of him in the draft, isn't that the true measure of someone's college career?

nope

I hate the state of Oklahoma. Don't care for the Sooners. Still don't understand the bawling .

3744 yards passing, 40 TDs to 8 INTs. I fancy myself a stats man so, who got robbed? I can't even argue my man Chris Perry got shafted.

If you just want to isolate stats from this season, it isn't even close IMHO.

Jason White had a fantastic year. No doubt about it.

The thing that bugs me is that something like 50% of the Heisman ballots were turned in prior to White's flop in the Big 12 Championship.

My read is that many voters had White and Fitzgerald as the clear-cut top two candidates, with Fitz more of a wildcard (since he's a Soph, a WR, not on a powerhouse team, etc.). After seeing Fitz struggle against Miami, these folks slotted White 1 and Fitz 2, and mailed off their ballots.

Would things have been different had these "fence" voters waited until after the Big 12 Championship to submit their ballots? Impossible to say, of course. But given the final tally posted by KState above, it's easy to think it would have:

If you assume that there were 400 of these "early voters" (of the 922 total), and 1 in 5 of them would have flip-flopped Fitz ahead of White after the Big 12 Championship (both fairly conservative estimates, IMO), then the final tally would have been Fitz 1433, White 1401.

I realize it's hard to compare "apples to oranges" but, let's look at what the "fence voters" had to choose from:

White: 298 passing yards, 2 INTs

Fitzgerald: 3 catches for 26 yards

Not an impressive game by either one but, White still almost threw for 300 yards. That's gotta say something. Neither Pitt or OK was playing worth a hoot in their respective games. I don't see what the big deal is.

As much as I hate Dallas and the entire State of Texas, I have to agree with Clubfoothead.

Club and Urlacher,

How about taking a look at the supporting cast of each player. I'm not crying over White winning it, as I don't have a vested interest in either team, state or player. It's just my opinion that Fitzgerald is by far the best player in College Football.

URLACHERisGOD:

I realize it's hard to compare "apples to oranges" but, let's look at what the "fence voters" had to choose from:

White: 298 passing yards, 2 INTs

Fitzgerald: 3 catches for 26 yards

I think you missed my point Urlacher. Roughly half of the Heisman voters did not count White's one poor performance against him, since they cast their ballots prior to the Big 12 Championship. Fitz, meanwhile, did not have the advantage of having his one poor performance (vs. Miami) tossed out.

From my perspective, that's what the big deal is.