[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl opening line

frenzal rhomb

Philly is going to get destroyed.  Sure they looked good in their two playoff games but the teams they played were from the JV NFC.

Philly vs the AFC this year didn't do well at all:

week 6 @ CLE -- won in OT 43-41

week 7 BALT -- won 15-10

week 8 @ PIT -- lost 27-3

week 17 CINCY -- lost 38-10 (I realize they rested everyone but it's what the did).

Even throwing out that Cincy game at the end the Eagles play against the AFC this year has to be considered sub-par.

Pats vs the NFC are 4-0

week 2 @ ARi -- won 23-13

week 6 SEA -- 30-20

week 9 @ STL -- 40-22

week 17 49ers -- 21-7 (won even though they had 2nd place locked up).

In addition, Philly ranks 16th in the NFL in rush defense giving up 118.9 YPG and 4.3 YPA... but I'm sure J. Trotter will fix all that  :D

The Pats are just too good, and Philly fans are going to realize that it hurts just as much to lose the SB as it does to lose in the NFC Championship game.

671408[/snapback]

Dude, seriously, that's your analysis? PHI played some AFC guys and won 2 of 3. The Pats played ARI, SEA, SFO, and STL and went 4-0 and you're handing them the win?!?!?!?

Oh, you might wanna go back and check those stats on how PHI did stopping the run since they started Trotter in the middle, before dismissing his impact out of hand.

I'm not gonna come on here and crow about how sure a lock the Eagles are to win, because New England is a very good team, but your post is horrible.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, seriously, that's your analysis? PHI played some AFC guys and won 2 of 3. The Pats played ARI, SEA, SFO, and STL and went 4-0 and you're handing them the win?!?!?!?

Oh, you might wanna go back and check those stats on how PHI did stopping the run since they started Trotter in the middle, before dismissing his impact out of hand.

I'm not gonna come on here and crow about how sure a lock the Eagles are to win, because New England is a very good team, but your post is horrible.

671450[/snapback]

Don't mind him, Nasty. He's obviously just a bitter Stiller fan. If they smoked Pittsburgh, they must smoke Philly as well. :D

I think NE will cover. I agree with darin that it almost looks too easy for the Pats in the Super Bowl. But....the Patriots don't overlook teams or take anything for granted so I'm going to stick with their laser beam-like focus.

I sincerely believe after the playoff run NE has made, they will crush Philly.

I think NE will cover.  I agree with darin that it almost looks too easy for the Pats in the Super Bowl.  But....the Patriots don't overlook teams or take anything for granted so I'm going to stick with their laser beam-like focus. 

I sincerely believe after the playoff run NE has made, they will crush Philly.

671504[/snapback]

I like soup.

Who is this jerk?

671574[/snapback]

Well, I was a paying lurker for a couple of years and then I finally registered for the messageboards last year. And dammit JJ, I ain't no stinkin' jerk! :D

Oh, you mean Random Guy I presume? He is what happens with free message boards. The name and the posts go hand in hand....I wasn't going to respond to any of his posts until he posted my name....and then I couldn't pass up telling him how smart that was because.....well, you know....I rock!! :D

Lay the 7 now and hope it goes to 10 by game time then bet the same amount on Phil.  If it hits at 8 or 9 you win both ways

668995[/snapback]

what you really should have done to help your cause here is buy down a point to patriots -6 at -130 or -140. then wait for the line to move to ten, buy a half point at -120 and have the lucrative 7-10 spread middle. last week i won a good chunk of change on philly. i played a super spread prop of the eagles to win by 10-14.5. was a 3/1 prop i missed out on with the last score by philly and atlanta not being able to score in the last 5 minutes of the contest. i liked my chances alot there though. just didn't happen. at the moment i have two one hundred dollar teasers. i have played both the pats -1 and under 53.5 and the eagles at +13 and under 53.5. i also may make another teaser with the pats -1 and the eagles +13. i'm fairly certain the pats win and i'm fairly certain its a semi close game to keep the public interested. just this broken down horseplayers 2 cents.

My thinking that Philly is going to get destroyed has nothing to do with the fact that Pittsburgh Athena the bed against the Pats. The AFC is BY FAR the better conference and the Pats are BY FAR the best team in that conference, therefore the Pats are better that Philly BY FAR. I have felt for a long time that the AFC was going to whoop up on the NFC in this year's SB and how the playoffs went down only reaffirmed what I have felt.

Philly had an eaiser run through the playoffs than NE -- agree or not? Philly beat up on two inferior NFC teams (Minny 8-8 :D and the one dimensional ATL dome team in freezing cold weather, who got there by beating another 8-8 team B)) .... while NE dismantled the best offense (3 points) and the best defense (34 points) in the league on their run through the playoffs.

Philly has struggled against the AFC this year -- agree or not?

J. Trotter cannot fix the run D by himself. Show me the stats on how much better they are with Trotter if you think he makes such a big difference.... the season numbers say they suck against the run. Has a team EVERY won the SB that ranked that low against the run? 16th overall?

Additionally, Philly's offense is too one dimentional... I'm sure the Pats won't be able to contain Westbrook as a WR :D

So the Eagles don't run the ball enough on offense and they can't stop the run.... two pretty *** big holes in their game that NE will exploit unmercifully. I predict C. Dillon will be the MVP of this SB -- that's how bad I think the Philly run D will perform... J. Trotter on not.

Finally, if you sense any hostility or anger in these posts about the SB it stems from the fact the I think Pittsburgh would also crush the helpless Eagles and I'm pissed they couldn't get past NE in order to be the team that delivers the beatdown of the inferior NFC team.

Show me the stats on how much better they are with Trotter if you think he makes such a big difference....

671999[/snapback]

Apparently the Eagles started playing J. Trotter after the Steelers were able to run the ball so effectively against them in week 9.

I looked at weeks 10 though 15 (16 and 17 won't show much as the Eagles rested a bunch of people) to see how they fared with Trotter in the lineup. The stats are actually pretty impressive... they gave up 90.2 YPG and a 3.76 UPC average... not bad until you consider their opponents. The Eagles played team that simply don't run the ball very well...

They played Dallas twice (NFL rank running the ball = 20), Was twice (21), NYG (11) and GB (10). The GB game was a blowout and the Packers managed only 18 carries the entire game, and the only other team they played in the top half the league in rush yards actually gashed them for a buck 61....

week	team	yards	carries	rank10)	Dal	71	24	2011)	Was	52	23	2112)	NYG	161	26	1113)	GB	50	18	1014)	Was	88	25	2115)	Dal	120	28	20

I stand by my assertation that the Eagles still suck at defending the run.

Apparently the Eagles started playing J. Trotter after the Steelers were able to run the ball so effectively against them in week 9. 

I looked at weeks 10 though 15 (16 and 17 won't show much as the Eagles rested a bunch of people) to see how they fared with Trotter in the lineup.  The stats are actually pretty impressive... they gave up 90.2 YPG and a 3.76 UPC average... not bad until you consider their opponents.  The Eagles played team that simply don't run the ball very well...

They played Dallas twice (NFL rank running the ball = 20), Was twice (21), NYG (11) and GB (10).  The GB game was a blowout and the Packers managed only 18 carries the entire game, and the only other team they played in the top half the league in rush yards actually gashed them for a buck 61....

week	team	yards	carries	rank10)	Dal	71	24	2011)	Was	52	23	2112)	NYG	161	26	1113)	GB	50	18	1014)	Was	88	25	2115)	Dal	120	28	20

I stand by my assertation that the Eagles still suck at defending the run.

672084[/snapback]

Why don't you just go take a nap in your Tom Brady comforter set. :D

Why don't you just go take a nap in your Tom Brady comforter set. :D

672130[/snapback]

What is this supposed to mean? My thoughts have more to do with what I think are the inadequacies of Philly than what I think of the Pats. I think either the Steelers or the Pats would beat them this year.... the Pats are just the team that is going to have the opportunity.

What is this supposed to mean?  My thoughts have more to do with what I think are the inadequacies of Philly than what I think of the Pats.  I think either the Steelers or the Pats would beat them this year.... the Pats are just the team that is going to have the opportunity.

672176[/snapback]

If you need to ask that question, please refer to your sig line. :D

""The Patriots just aren't a "blowout" kind of team. Had Pittsburgh not handed them the game on a silver platter in the opening minutes, the rest of the game was fairly even.""

I was reading this thread and had to comment on this response...

New England dominated the way they always dominate taking advantage of opportunity on the offense as well as the defense.

I don't know how you can say that the rest of the game was fairly even. It was 24-3 at halftime. The Patriots were able to play a bit looser from the advantage position. Any time Pit made a peep, the Pats came back with ease.

The Pats dominated last week as they should against the Eagles who in my opinion are one of the weakest teams to be in the superbowl in years.

Slim

""The Patriots just aren't a "blowout" kind of team.  Had Pittsburgh not handed them the game on a silver platter in the opening minutes, the rest of the game was fairly even.""

I was reading this thread and had to comment on this response...

New England dominated the way they always dominate taking advantage of opportunity on the offense as well as the defense.

I don't know how you can say that the rest of the game was fairly even. It was 24-3 at halftime. The Patriots were able to play a bit looser from the advantage position. Any time Pit made a peep, the Pats came back with ease.

The Pats dominated last week as they should against the Eagles who in my opinion are one of the weakest teams to be in the superbowl in years.

Slim

672290[/snapback]

Okay, let's do some scoreboard math. Take away the 10 points Pittsburgh spotted New England (before they realized they were in a Conference Championship game) and the rest of the game was a 4 point advantage for New England.

I too went on and on about how much better the AFC is than the NFC. The issue here is that Philadelphia has not played as tough a schedule as New England, and the only team in New England's class that they played was Pittsburgh who beat them down.

But do we really KNOW that Philly can't hang with New England? I know Steeler fans still picking their jaws up off the ground want to believe that they just lost to the Super Bowl champion.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I really think we will have a good game here despite everybody's gloom and doom for the Eagles.

I am not taking anything away from the Patriots here, but I happen to be a fan of McNabb and Westbrook. And I think these guys (and the Philadelphia defense) are the ones being slighted if anybody is.

Here is what I am thinking.  The Patriots won both of their Superbowls by 3 points.  This Eagle team is a lesser challenge than last years Panthers?  Or that soft Rams team the Pats pushed around? 

I don't think this line will move to 9 or 10.  I'll wait to see if it continues to inch up and hope to get in at +7.5 or maybe 8. 

I wouldn't even consider laying 7 on New England in this game.  If you do, you are living dangerously.

671380[/snapback]

This was my initial thought on the matchup. New England hasn't put away the two prior teams they played in the SB, and these Eagles are arguably a better team than the 03 Panthers or the 01 Rams.

My second thought was, the Patriots DOMINATED their two playoff games going into this SB. That is certainly not how they got to this far the last two runs (think 2002 vs. Oakland, or 2004 vs. Tennessee). Makes me want to ignore the Patriots most recent past and go with the past performance of the last two games as the indicator.

I also agree the line isn't going to get higher than 7.5. The Patriots have been an extremely popular bet because they cover the spread nearly 80% of the time. I figure the books made the line a little high to take into account their popularity, but aren't going to push it much higher because they won't need to.

This was my initial thought on the matchup. New England hasn't put away the two prior teams they played in the SB, and these Eagles are arguably a better team than the 03 Panthers or the 01 Rams.

My second thought was, the Patriots DOMINATED their two playoff games going into this SB. That is certainly not how they got to this far the last two runs (think 2002 vs. Oakland, or 2004 vs. Tennessee). Makes me want to ignore the Patriots most recent past and go with the past performance of the last two games as the indicator.

I also agree the line isn't going to get higher than 7.5. The Patriots have been an extremely popular bet because they cover the spread nearly 80% of the time. I figure the books made the line a little high to take into account their popularity, but aren't going to push it much higher because they won't need to.

672404[/snapback]

Good post.

I got in last week with AFC - 4.5 over NFC...:D

I thought for sure the line would approach double digits by game time, but now I doubt it will go much over 7. The public apparently still doesn't get it. I think it is because of all the old die-hard NFC fans who bet with their hearts and not their heads. They don't accept the fact that the AFC is MUCH better than the NFC right now.

This NE team is better than either of the past two championship teams, no question. Two reasons really. Brady is better and Dillon (which might actually just be Dillon making Brady better). Counting the playoffs, the Patriots are 9-1 against winning teams this year, after going 10-0 against them last year. Folks, that is 19-1 against the best teams over a two year period. NINETEEN AND ONE.

In those 10 games this year, they have won by an average score of 25.8-14.8.

A little math tells you that NE has won by an average of 11 points WHEN PLAYING THE BEST teams.

Philly, on the other hand, has only played 4 winning teams all year. Their regular season opponents had a combined record of 116-140.

The last time these two teams met was in week 2 last year at Philly. The Patriots won 31-10. Look for a similar score in the Super Bowl. TO or not. :D

Good post.

I got in last week with AFC - 4.5 over NFC...:D

I thought for sure the line would approach double digits by game time, but now I doubt it will go much over 7. The public apparently still doesn't get it. I think it is because of all the old die-hard NFC fans who bet with their hearts and not their heads. They don't accept the fact that the AFC is MUCH better than the NFC right now.

This NE team is better than either of the past two championship teams, no question. Two reasons really. Brady is better and Dillon (which might actually just be Dillon making Brady better). Counting the playoffs, the Patriots are 9-1 against winning teams this year, after going 10-0 against them last year. Folks, that is 19-1 against the best teams over a two year period. NINETEEN AND ONE.

In those 10 games this year, they have won by an average score of 25.8-14.8.

A little math tells you that NE has won by an average of 11 points WHEN PLAYING THE BEST teams.

Philly, on the other hand, has only played 4 winning teams all year. Their regular season opponents had a combined record of 116-140.

The last time these two teams met was in week 2 last year at Philly. The Patriots won 31-10. Look for a similar score in the Super Bowl. TO or not. :D

672441[/snapback]

You know, all of this reminds me of the way people were comparing the Rams to the Pats a few years ago in the big one. Not a prayer for the Pats. All the statistics pointed to the Rams winning easily. How quickly we forget.

You know, all of this reminds me of the way people were comparing the Rams to the Pats a few years ago in the big one.  Not a prayer for the Pats.  All the statistics pointed to the Rams winning easily.  How quickly we forget.

672462[/snapback]

But the Rams were 14+ point favorites then. :D

i don't know that the pats "dominated" the pitt game. total yards would tell a different story. even in the first half i think the total yards were very close. the difference, really, were roethlisberger's turnovers and the fact that the pats were able to hit on a couple big plays. the pats looked very good and really played pretty much a perfect game, so they deserve lots of credit...but let's not get carried away with this "domination" stuff.

the colts game on the other hand...

Edited by Azazello1313

i don't know that the pats "dominated" the pitt game.  total yards would tell a different story.  even in the first half i think the total yards were very close.  the difference, really, were roethlisberger's turnovers and the fact that the pats were able to hit on a couple big plays.  the pats looked very good and really played pretty much a perfect game, so they deserve lots of credit...but let's not get carried away with this "domination" stuff.

the colts game on the other hand...

673256[/snapback]

I respectfully disagree. Be it through big offensive plays, or big defensive plays, the bottom line was 24-3 at the half and consistent scoring at the neccessary times. This to me equals a dominating performance. In my opinion a domination equals a game in which one team has complete control over the other team throughout the game. In my opinion this is what happenned Sunday.

Slim

Pats -7 is a gift. No one should be giving Philly any credit for beating Minnesota. Freddie Mitchell thought he was a superstar after posting 2 TDs (one was a fluke) and 65 yards on them. Who doesn't put up numbers on Minny?

And Atlanta just doesn't have the WRs to compete at that level. why Atlanta didn't commit heavily to the run and play a field position game I'll never understand.

NE shut down Indy with Wayne, Harrison, Stokley, and James. Anyone think they'll be afraid of Westbrook, Mitchell, and Skinkston?

This game is over before it begins. This one will be embarrassing for Philly. They'll wish they never won the NFC championship. And I'm no NE fan.

Pats -7 is a gift.  No one should be giving Philly any credit for beating Minnesota.  Freddie Mitchell thought he was a superstar after posting 2 TDs (one was a fluke) and 65 yards on them.  Who doesn't put up numbers on Minny? 

And Atlanta just doesn't have the WRs to compete at that level.  why Atlanta didn't commit heavily to the run and play a field position game I'll never understand. 

NE shut down Indy with Wayne, Harrison, Stokley, and James.  Anyone think they'll be afraid of Westbrook, Mitchell, and Skinkston?

This game is over before it begins.  This one will be embarrassing for Philly.  They'll wish they never won the NFC championship.  And I'm no NE fan.

673469[/snapback]

As much as I'd love to see McNabb win a Super Bowl (class act, if you ask me), I have to agree with this 100%. I jumped on the -7 faster than UT going down on Brady. :D