[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bates to Green Bay?

Todd1

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan05/...90.asp#poll4608

I heard this on the news this morning and thought I was dreaming. It's not possible that Green Bay would hire a former linebacker and draft afficionado as General Manager AND hire a proven defensive coordinator who has had his team in the top 10 of defenses for 5 years in a row.

This would make far too much sense to be real! Gee, maybe we'll actually start drafting some talent on defense, build a strong d-line, rush the passer, stop the run and get some turnovers? With a competent D, our line and running game, it might even be possible that Favre wins another Super Bowl before his retirement!

Is it possible that I may hear this shortly on a Saturday in April??

"With the 24th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select... Defensive End Marcus Spears, LSU." Or "Defensive Tackle Anttaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin."

Please, don't pinch me, I'm enjoying this dream..... :D

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan05/...90.asp#poll4608

I heard this on the news this morning and thought I was dreaming.  It's not possible that Green Bay would hire a former linebacker and draft afficionado as General Manager AND hire a proven defensive coordinator who has had his team in the top 10 of defenses for 5 years in a row. 

This would make far too much sense to be real!  Gee, maybe we'll actually start drafting some talent on defense, build a  strong d-line, rush the passer, stop the run and get some turnovers?  With a competent D, our line and running game, it might even be possible that Favre wins another Super Bowl before his retirement!

Is it possible that I may hear this shortly on a Saturday in April?? 

"With the 24th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...  Defensive End Marcus Spears, LSU." Or "Defensive Tackle Anttaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin."

Please, don't pinch me, I'm enjoying this dream.....  :D

669306[/snapback]

Nah, more likely they trade up in the first to nab a long snapper. :D

ESPN.com

Green Bay Packers: Former Miami Dolphins interim coach Jim Bates is the front-runner to become the Packers' new defensive coordinator, the The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Bates would supplant Bob Slowik, who would shift to secondary coach to replace Kurt Schottenheimer.

Bates declined comment when asked whether he was heading to Green Bay.

"There have been a lot of things going on in the past week that I'm not free to talk about," Bates said. "I wish I could tell you, but I can't."

Here we go again. A half-assed attempt at a shakeup. If he hires Bates, IMO he has got to let him assemble his own staff. Sherman's cronyism is getting old.

If Sherman wants some control, he should use a nomination/approval process. Hire Bates, let him put together a list of guys he likes, and then the two of them can go through the list and come to some agreement. I"m all for giving your friends a shot if they've put in their time, but Slowick has had his shot(s) and not been impressive. It is time to put the friendship aside and do what is best for the success of the team.

I started dancing a jig when I heard Bates was in and bumped it up into double-time when they said Slowik was out.

Good hire AT THE VERY LEAST because Bates has a proven track record as a successful defensive co-ordinator whereas all Slowik has is a year over a defense that finished #25 and was no better at the end of the year than the beginning.

Bates is also bringing Miami's LB coach along, though he's retaining Duffner.

Fatman, I agree, after the draft last year and free agency (no significant upgrades to the D) I knew we wouldn't win the Super Bowl.

Now, with Thompson and Bates, I have a feeling that we could at least make the NFC Championship game!

Chavez, hate to correct you, but we started out GREAT! We destroyed Carolina on MNF, then got progressively worse each week.