[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs upgrade their defense with big singing

Chief Dick

Check that: SIGNING not singing

Oh boy. :D:DB)

Crouch signs with Chiefs

Ex-Husker OK with playing safety

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Former Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch signed with the Chiefs, but incumbent quarterback Trent Green doesn't need to fear for his job.

Crouch has apparently accepted that he won't play the position professionally. The Chiefs will look at Crouch as a safety and send him to NFL Europe this spring to learn his new craft.

“The kid has made the commitment to play defense,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “He said he would do whatever we wanted him to do.”

Crouch won the Heisman as a quarterback at Nebraska in 2001 more for his running skills than his passing ability. He was drafted in the third round in 2002 by the Rams as a wide receiver but walked out when he wasn't given a chance to play quarterback.

He since had a couple of trials with Green Bay, once as a quarterback and once as a safety. The Packers released him last year before they went to training camp, an indication Crouch has plenty to learn before he can play safety in the NFL.

But his agent, Jim Steiner, indicated Crouch was happy at his new position.

“That's his wish,” Steiner said. “He has no more desire to play quarterback. He's fired up about this. I've noticed a change in his attitude about things.

“He's as excited about this opportunity as he's been than about anything since he was in college.”

Edited by Chief Dick

Well I guess it beats flipping burgers (not that there's anything wrong with that)

and probably pays more than he would get with his degree in Exercise Science.

NFL Europe did wonders for Lawrence Philips. :D

In all seriousness though, I hope it works out.

A real earth-shattering signing there, Chief. It's good to have a sense of humor about it. On the positive side, Crouch can look to Brian Russell of the Vikes for tips on how to make the transition from college QB to NFL safety. Although no one will accuse the Vikes of superior defensive play, Russell's done ok and was tied for 3rd on the team in tackles this past season.

So, if anyone still thinks the Chiefs don't need help on defense...

BTW, here's hoping that this doesn't mean that Carl "the crack addict" Peterson will eschew using the 1st rounder on a defensive player (hopefully not another lineman)...

The kids always been a good athlete, I wouldn't be suprised if he ( at worst ) makes a pretty good special teamer and reserve db.

He's an intelligent kid with good knowledge of the game, and that usually pays off on the field.

The Chiefs have nothing to lose, thats for sure

671803[/snapback]

Those are essentially my thoughts. Here's a kid who hasn't made it, but at least he's still trying ... I hope he does well in Europe and at least gets a couple years of decent play in the NFL ... Maybe he's had his wake up call for his heart and his future. Best of luck to him.