[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers O'Line Coach Reportedly Leaving

Big Score 1

The Miami Herald

Posted on Tue, Jan. 25, 2005

"San Diego offensive line coach Hudson Houck is considered the leading candidate for the same job with the Dolphins, with one source indicating Houck has essentially agreed to a deal."

Link to the entire article.

This could suck for LT2 & Brees. Hudson Houck took a bunch of no name scrubs and molded them into cohesive and decent O'line. Hopefully they won't fall apart without Houck there.

By the same token, make sure to remember this come draft day next year when you're debating whether or not to draft whoever is Miami's RB. Could be some real value there, with Houck Coaching up Miami's O'Line.

The Miami Herald

"San Diego offensive line coach Hudson Houck is considered the leading candidate for the same job with the Dolphins, with one source indicating Houck has essentially agreed to a deal."

This could suck for LT2 & Brees. Hudson Houck took a bunch of no name scrubs and molded them into cohesive and decent O'line. Hopefully they won't fall apart without Houck there.

672411[/snapback]

Bad news for my Bolts!!! :hoppingmad:

The Miami Herald

Link to the entire article.

By the same token, make sure to remember this come draft day next year when you're debating whether or not to draft whoever is Miami's RB. Could be some real value there, with Houck Coaching up Miami's O'Line.

672411[/snapback]

Could you please post the whole article? I don't want to sign up for ANOTHER web newspaper!

THANX

By the way... THIS REALLY SUCKS! If you all remember me at the beginning of the season trying to convince you that the Chargers O-line would not suck, it was because of Houck! The Phins get a coup and Charger fans now have something to really worry about! There aren't as many as good as him!

I have been dreading this for weeks now, and have come to the reality that it was going to happen, I just didn't want to believe it! :hoppingmad:

riddle me this: why would you leave an organization that made the playoffs, who appear to be on the upward trend, for an organization that is one of the worst two or three in football? more money? a quicker path to offensive coordinator? conflicts with the current organization? a challange? :D

The article...

DOLPHINS

Filling coach spots tough

Though Miami is reportedly close to hiring Hudson Houck as offensive line coach, the Dolphins are having difficulties finding a defensive coordinator.

BY JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

MOBILE - The Dolphins are expected to fill one of their top offensive coaching positions in the next day or two, but finding a defensive coordinator has proved problematic.

San Diego offensive line coach Hudson Houck is considered the leading candidate for the same job with the Dolphins, with one source indicating Houck has essentially agreed to a deal.

As for defensive coordinator, the Dolphins received permission from Detroit to interview linebackers/assistant head coach Richard Smith, a 17-year NFL coaching veteran, for the job. Detroit coach Steve Mariucci, who was attending practice for the Senior Bowl, declined to comment on the situation other than to say he granted the Dolphins' request.

However, Smith became the latest candidate after New England indicated it will not allow linebackers coach Dean Pees to interview with the Dolphins, according to an NFL source.

The Dolphins aren't allowed to request permission to interview Pees yet because the Patriots are still in the playoffs, awaiting the Super Bowl against Philadelphia on Feb. 6 in Jacksonville.

SABAN TO TALK TODAY

Dolphins coach Nick Saban also attended practices for the Senior Bowl on Monday, but did not take questions from reporters. Saban is scheduled to talk with reporters only today. Saban is also unlikely to discuss any individual interviews he has had for any of the coaching positions on staff.

Saban and New England coach Bill Belichick are very close, and it's believed that Belichick has already told Saban that Pees will not be available. Pees was Saban's defensive coordinator at Michigan State.

Belichick apparently doesn't want to lose any more assistant coaches. He has already lost offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to Notre Dame, and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel is expected to be hired by Cleveland as its next head coach.

There is speculation that Patriots assistant Pepper Johnson will go to Cleveland with Crennel.

Thus, Belichick could face replacing at least three assistant coaches long after most teams have set their staff.

Saban's search for a defensive coordinator has met with constant frustration, and a source said Monday ''he might do it himself'' next season. That seems unlikely. However, Saban has already talked to Todd Grantham, Mike Tomlin and Dave Campo about the job. Saban wanted to hire Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, but Schwartz's wife was not interested in moving to South Florida.

Grantham, the defensive line coach with Houston, is no longer available to the Dolphins because he was given only a five-day window earlier this month to work out a deal with the Dolphins. Tomlin and Campo have some interest in the job, but it's unclear how much interest Saban, who is expected to run his scheme, will have in either of them.

WORKED WITH SABAN

Smith worked briefly with Saban in Houston in the late 1980s and has developed a strong reputation for getting players to improve.

Four of his players have made the Pro Bowl, and he has helped teams reach the playoffs in 11 of his 17 seasons.

As for Houck, under NFL rules he is not allowed to speak with other teams until today at the earliest.

Houck's contract with San Diego ran out this season, and he made it clear that he was looking for a contract worth in the area of the $1 million a year that offensive line coach Alex Gibbs is making with Atlanta.

riddle me this:  why would you leave an organization that made the playoffs, who appear to be on the upward trend, for an organization that is one of the worst two or three in football?  more money?  a quicker path to offensive coordinator?  conflicts with the current organization?  a challange? :D

672440[/snapback]

Insanity maybe!?! :D

How could the Miami O line get any WORSE? This guy can step in and be even moderately competent and come away smelling like a rose next December.

Miami wouldn't be near as bad as it is with a less swiss cheese-like O line.

No offense to Swiss Cheezhead intended. :D

riddle me this:  why would you leave an organization that made the playoffs, who appear to be on the upward trend, for an organization that is one of the worst two or three in football?  more money?  a quicker path to offensive coordinator?  conflicts with the current organization?  a challange? :D

672440[/snapback]

The $850,000/year contract probably had something to do with it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1975199

What is even more disconcerting is that there has been NO NEWS about practically anything from Chargerville since the end of the season.

The Chargers, who've yet to confirm agreements with their other assistants, did not disclose a list of potential replacements for Houck. Possible candidates include Tony Wise, who preceded Houck in Dallas and was fired in Miami after this season; George Warhop, recently fired by Dallas after two seasons; Jim Colletto, recently fired by the Baltimore Ravens; and two former Chargers assistants under Bobby Ross: Jack Henry and Carl Mauck.

LINK

This does not look to me like a lot of good things are being pushed right now in San Diego. After the season they had, you would expect them to get the staff set quickly so they can move on to preparing for next season and worry about personnel issues.

I am wary right now as a Charger fan. There has been too much history of failure for this to be the first bit of news.

672440[/snapback]

I guess it took 2.5 million dollars worth of reasons over three years, huh!!! :D

HUGE pickup for the Dolphins. Houck is regarded as one of the best O-line coaches in the league. His contract was up in SD and Miami threw a bunch of money at him. I believe he's now the highest paid O-line coach in the NFL.

The Dolphins desperately needed this guy to coach a young line.

Saban is quietly putting together a very nice staff.

Next stop New England. Dan Peas, currently NE's linebacker coach is very high on Saban's wish list.

Saban is definitely wise in investing Waynes money in a quality O'Line Coach.

Too bad for the Browns, Savage couldn't convince Lerner Houck was worth the money.

I don't know whose O'Line was worse, Dolphins or Browns? I figure a toss up.