[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"New" Cardinals Logo

Balzac

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a team in dire need of a new name it's the Arizona Cardinals.  You could keep the colors, but who has ever seen a cardinal in Arizona.  I dunno, maybe Firebirds or something.  Cardinals is just retarded.

675893[/snapback]

"this is a cardinal!"

"He's so little!"

"Yeah, but he's got a lotta heart!"

"Where are the Eagles?"

"What? Cardinals EAT eagles!"

Besides, who's to argue with tradition? The franchise has been the Cardinals since they played on Racine Street in Chicago back in something like 1897 and look at all the great memories and success they've had....well, memories, at least...y'know what, maybe they DO need to change it.

I forgot to mention that I can't stand the new Broncos uni either.  And I seem to be in the minority (at least among my friends) in thinking that the older one is pretty sweet.

675992[/snapback]

Holy $chit the world is coming to and end Swerski and I agree :bigshock:

When the Browns played again in 1999, the NFL wanted to redesign their look, the the Browns refused to even consider that.

675938[/snapback]

And bless the Browns for it ... something you'll rarely hear a STEEEEEEEELERS fan say. They are the Browns -- even Modell's money can't change that.

His grandson probably got photoshop for Christmas so Bidwell figured he could save a few bucks.

675838[/snapback]

Grandson or girlfriend ... folks'd be AMAZED at how often something like this gets done and the source of it is either Buffy the Grandchild or Paris Hilton the intern ...

Even so, I'd love to know what they paid for the redesign ...

An excellent forum for this question. I seem to remember that at least 1 year (and I'm taliking a long time ago) the Browns had a Pixie looking guy centering a football on their helmet. late 50's, early 60s.

Does anyone remember that? For some reason I remember it from an old football card when I was a kid.

675955[/snapback]

An elf in brown clothing holding a football.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

An elf in brown clothing holding a football.

676155[/snapback]

I'm not sure if that one eer appeared on a ahelmet, I'm pretty sure it didn't. BuT here is some quick info I have on th e"CB" logo:

"Some references indicate that the Cleveland Browns may have briefly worn an interlocking "CB" logo on their helmets during the early 1960s, but it appears almost certain that these were never worn during any game; I have certainly never seen even a single photograph showing such a helmet design in use during an actual game."

I have a link on my machine at work with more info, including the logo itself. I'll update this post when I get there and find that page.

I think it'll take a little more than a new logo to turn that organization around.

Ben

WHAT THE....!!!

“This is just the latest in a series of exciting changes for the Cardinals over the last year that reflect a positive new direction for the franchise,” said Michael Bidwill, Vice President/General Counsel.

If that change is exciting I would hate to see it if they ever started winning!

Looks like the bird got some bad bird seed is is trying to grind it out!

675834[/snapback]

:D I know, that one killed me too.

IMO, the teams with the best old-school uniforms are the Bears, Steelers, Cowboys, and Niners.  And I'd have to say that the Ravens and Titans are my favorites of the newer teams.

675944[/snapback]

The Cowboys logo has hardly changed. So I really do not consider it much of an "old-school" uni. I mean they have added a few lines here and there, but basically the same. Same with the 49ers. I did personally like when the jets went back to the logo they have right now. Has anyone ever went to www.logoserver.com? It is a pretty cool site where you can look at a whole bunch of old logos of all sports.

An excellent forum for this question. I seem to remember that at least 1 year (and I'm taliking a long time ago) the Browns had a Pixie looking guy centering a football on their helmet. late 50's, early 60s.

Does anyone remember that? For some reason I remember it from an old football card when I was a kid.

675955[/snapback]

You mean this one?

I forgot to mention that I can't stand the new Broncos uni either.  And I seem to be in the minority (at least among my friends) in thinking that the older one is pretty sweet.

675992[/snapback]

I really do miss the days when the Broncos were truly orange..........not predominately orange. :D

There are only 3 teams in the NFL that haven't changed the helmet design of game worn helmets.

Jacksonville (although they had a different prototype taht was too close to the Jaguar car company so were forced to change it)

Carolina no changes

Houston Texans (although they originally unveiled a white helmet with a smaller version of their current logo)

The Vikings have always had the horn logo but it was bigger prior to the mid 80's when they went to a white face mask and then purple face mask and they have now gone to a metallic purple helmet.

Here is a great link on helmet history Helmet Club-NFL helmets

At least the Cardinals changed the logo...Look at the Lions who unveiled their new logo a few years ago? Talk about imagination...take the original blue leaping lion and outline it in white then many years later announce a bold new logo that shows the team in moving in a great new direction... now they outlined the logo in black too!!!! That rocked!!!

As a resident of Tucson, I'm excited. That logo change is a bit extreme, but I guess we Arizoneans will have to get use to it.  :D

Oh, and they do have Cardinals in Arizona, it's not all a hot desolate wasteland.

In fact, the southern most ski resort in the US is located right here in Tucson.  Where did you think the actually shot that movie, Sound of Music.

Now, if they could just get RJ Reynolds to sponsor the costs, then we might be able to stick a burning tobacco product it it's mouth, and then we'd have something.....

675903[/snapback]

I lived there for three years and yes it is a desolate waste land. The so called Tuscon skiing your talking about isn't really skiing, is sort of an effort in slushing with a few rocks mixed in. :D

They actually had a helmet that got shot down where they reversed the colors, a black helmet with orange stripes... you know, just like a "Liger".

675953[/snapback]

Great reference to a great movie, see my avatar...

As far as the Cardinal logo, I am certainly more afraid of Cardinals now than I was before. I know if I ever travel to Arizona to avoid those Cardinals because they are a different breed than we have in WI.

I like the new helmet. I bet theyre gunna have a much richer red and black in the rest of the uni too which should set off the darker colors of the bird quite nicely. Im all for uniform change for these teams that insisted on having crap unis for so long. Look at how it changed the fortunes of the Bucks.

This is a good move by Bidwell IMO. He's trying to put a more exciting and appealing product on the field when his new stadium opens.

Arizona may open some eyes in the years to come with their new facilities and stadium opening up. There is a tremendous number of pro athletes who live in the Phoenix area so they can train at all times.

The college crap stadium and terrible player facilities have been a bigger free agent killer than the team itself over the past years.

We could see a lot more NFL players willing to play in the valley of the sun :D

Ok Logo nerds (like myself), if you want an overload on it dig this link:

http://www.ssur.org/history/UniformHistory.htm

and the Cleveland Browns "CB" logo I mentioned earlier is found here:

http://www.geocities.com/jamdawg1/browns/helmets.html

This is a subject I am very fanatical about. I can't get enough of the histories sorrounding logo's and uniforms, which is why I am such a fan of the old school traditional ones.

This is a subject I am very fanatical about. I can't get enough of the histories sorrounding logo's and uniforms, which is why I am such a fan of the old school traditional ones.

676455[/snapback]

I'm in the same boat.. check out the boards at www.sportslogos.net, very cool stuff.

The Cowboys logo has hardly changed.  So I really do not consider it much of an "old-school" uni.  I mean they have added a few lines here and there, but basically the same.  Same with the 49ers.  I did personally like when the jets went back to the logo they have right now.  Has anyone ever went to www.logoserver.com?  It is a pretty cool site where you can look at a whole bunch of old logos of all sports.

You mean this one?

676233[/snapback]

I love those japanese baseball logos.