[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jacksonville, FL

Homey123

My Dad and Step-Mom spent some time there, almost a year if i remember right. Anyhow it was about 10 years ago and i don't think i heard one good thing about the city. They got out and about quite a bit at that time so i'm sure they looked for something good. :D

Jacksonville is not even part of Fla.. It is Georgia for all intensive purposes. I haven't been ther since '81 but it was boring.

JAX doesn't seem to be getting very favorable press.  People are saying that Wayne Weaver got some kind of sweet deal from the NFL and that it is a crap town.

679307[/snapback]

The initial reports of this kind of thing I heard were from interviews with folks from Miami and Tampa -- can't find the link to the article ... I can't believe they came out and said Jacksonville was toooo far north to be sure of good weather (oooh, it might be 20 degrees, they feared) ... Hey, if Jax is tooo far north, play the game in Brazil -- and if you only want to play indoors or in perfect weather, take up tennis!! Both seemed to want to limit SB rotation to Miami, Tampa, NO, and SD ... All this hooopla seems like conspiracy theory to get more SBs themselve more than fact ...

And the irony is ... Miami pointing fingers at another city about being seedy? Miami's got a beautiful beach, a few ultra ritzy palaces, and a whoooooole lot of poverty and he!! ho!es ... :D

Jacksonville is like any other large city in the United States. It has it's good parts and it has it's bad parts. While I agree that most of us in Florida don't consider Jax to be part of the state, it isn't as bad as it sounds. It's one of those deals where everyone has been making fun of them for so long, most people have opinions on Jax and have never even been there. I'm only 1 1/2 hours south but I've been to Miami 10 fold over the amount of times I've been to Jax, and Tampa even more.

But on occasion I'll go there for concerts, football games or some other deal. Here's my opinion. Jax has really really been busting hump to clean up it's downtown around and near the stadium. It's right on the St. John's river and there's alot of nice resturants, clubs and shopping areas. The Landings of Jacksonville is a cool place. There's around 10-12 bars plus shoppes and resturants all in one huge area. They have old time paddle boats there as well where you can actually take from the landings to the stadium on game days. There are a bunch of new Hotels such as the Adams Mark and Hilton and all and all the area is pretty cool. Now of course if you go accross the river and over to "the other side of the tracks" you'll find those seedy strip bars and clubs which isn't such a bad thing depending on what kind of person you are and what type of night out your looking for.

On the other side, Jacksonville Beach is really neat. It's about 20 min. E of Jax proper. It's part of Jacksonville per say but more like a small beach town type atmosphere with a super nice beach, lots of great old school seafood resturants and great condo's and time sharing hotels. I went there for the first time about 5 years ago and I was shocked at how nice it was.

I've been to alot of other big cities including Detroit, Clevland, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, L.A. , S.F. etc... As with all of them they have the places you avoid, unless looking for excitement, and places that are great to hang in. Jacksonville is the same as all of those but smaller. If you want to have a good time, you can.

Hope this helps.

Canes, are you sure you're not a member of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce?

Just kidding.  It sounds OK but I don't think I'd travel there on my own dime.

679524[/snapback]

:D

No, I don't blame you. Like I said the only time I go there is because of some sort of special event. My 'phins have played there twice and if there's a band in the state but Orlando or Tampa have dates I can't attend, I'll go see them in Jax. They have a new indoor arena and a really nice small auditorium to see bands (Florida Theatre).

Not a place to say"Hey, let's go to Jacksonville for manures and grins" but for some reason your there, you can find things to do.

You are correct, sir. :D

679934[/snapback]

Thanks guys I know I f'd up already.

Change the Title for this thread to Phillyville. :D