[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice

Vet

"Jerry Rice, Do you want him on your team?"

Yes, as the wide receivers coach.

682396[/snapback]

BING!! Correct answer, Major Tom. Somebody like Detroit or Arizona who has a stable of incredibly promising but verrrry young wrs ... or a team who has nothing at that position ... could benefit greatly -- assuming Rice has what it takes to coach, and I think he does.

Why is it, when a great player like a Jerry Rice or an Emmitt Smith wants to hang around and play after they have past their prime, there are all these people talking about how they should hang it up. That they are "done". That they can't do what they used to be able to do so they should just walk away.

And yet a guy like Rodney Peete can hang around the NFL for 15 years collecting a paycheck without having ever really done anything. Why isn't anyone campaigning for him to retire?

The Rices of the league have earned the right, as the games greatest players, to get whatever they can from the game. Yet people in this forum and in general, are calling for players like Rice and Smith to step down. And these same people seem to have no problem with the Peete's of the NFL coming to work again next year to do nothing, yet again.

As long as someone is willing to pay a player to play, then I say, let them play.

Whether they can play at the same level as they could in their prime or not is not important. What's important is their ability to accept their role on whatever team they end up on.

And yet a guy like Rodney Peete can hang around the NFL for 15 years collecting a paycheck without having ever really done anything. Why isn't anyone campaigning for him to retire?

And these same people seem to have no problem with the Peete's of the NFL coming to work again next year to do nothing, yet again.

683154[/snapback]

If this thread had been about Rodney Peete I would have posted an answer about Rodney Peete.

However, since it wasn't, I didn't.

There are many many no-load players that need to find a vocation they are suited for rather than hanging around in the NFL that we could discuss... but what is the point of discussing nobodies?

When I talk about 'stars' being done, finished, time to hang-em-up, I am talking about people that are now tarnishing what made them stars to begin with. Hanging on is pitiful and completely takes away from them and their 'greatness'.

Padding ones stats in tiny bits while one is on the steep downside of ones career is not a pretty thing to watch.

If this thread had been about Rodney Peete I would have posted an answer about Rodney Peete.

However, since it wasn't, I didn't.

There are many many no-load players that need to find a vocation they are suited for rather than hanging around in the NFL that we could discuss... but what is the point of discussing nobodies?

When I talk about 'stars' being done, finished, time to hang-em-up, I am talking about people that are now tarnishing what made them stars to begin with. Hanging on is pitiful and completely takes away from them and their 'greatness'.

Padding ones stats in tiny bits while one is on the steep downside of ones career is not a pretty thing to watch.

683183[/snapback]

Let's not lose sight of one thing here Sky.

While these players are hanging on, they are still getting paid. Handsomely, I might add. And they even still love to play. If they can accept their role as being diminished and still play with enthusiasm then why should they quit.

Jerry Rice is the greatest WR to ever play the game. No matter how long he hangs around that will never change.

And although he did only catch 30 passes last year he caught 25 of those in 11 games in Seattle after getting traded. He also got all 3 of his TD's in Seattle.

If he goes to the right team and they utilize him I could see him catching 45-50 Passes and scoring 4-5 TD's. Obviously not Rice-Like numbers but fairly productive numbers to say the least.

As long as someone is willing to pay a player to play, then I say, let them play.

683154[/snapback]

In the past, I've usually shared that sentiment.

Jerry Rice is the greatest WR to ever play the game. No matter how long he hangs around that will never change.

683218[/snapback]

Absolutely true.

And although he did only catch 30 passes last year he caught 25 of those in 11 games in Seattle after getting traded. He also got all 3 of his TD's in Seattle.
That's still pretty unimpressive, especially for a team that had 1 starting WR suspended, and I think Engram missed time as well.  I think if Jerry could still hang around and put up the 45-50 receptions that you talked about, then by all means he should stick around, I just don't really think he's capable of that anymore.  I think the huge dive his numbers took last year indicate that age is finally catching up with even Jerry. 

Him not being on the field in the playoff game, and taking a backseat to Koren Robinson and Bobby Engram is a terrible sight. If he wants to stick around and be a guy who is a 4th WR and catches 20-30 passes somewhere next season, certainly that's his preragotive and as the greatest WR ever he can do whatever he deems right, I just think it's a tough sight to witness and he has nothing else to prove, and doesn't need whatever money he is likely to get playing as a 3rd or 4th option next year...he could easily get that same paycheck catching on as an analyst or coach somewhere.

683183[/snapback]

I agree on both counts Sky.

Edited by Skrappy1

Why is it, when a great player like a Jerry Rice or an Emmitt Smith wants to hang around and play after they have past their prime, there are all these people talking about how they should hang it up. That they are "done". That they can't do what they used to be able to do so they should just walk away.

The Rices of the league have earned the right, as the games greatest players, to get whatever they can from the game. Yet people in this forum and in general, are calling for players like Rice and Smith to step down. And these same people seem to have no problem with the Peete's of the NFL coming to work again next year to do nothing, yet again.

Whether they can play at the same level as they could in their prime or not is not important. What's important is their ability to accept their role on whatever team they end up on.

683154[/snapback]

:D

That's actually funny.

Let's start a grassroots movement to force Rodney Peete to retire. :D