[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice

Vet

Heard an interview with Jerry on ESPN radio this afternoon. Sounds like he wants to play and thinks he can still get it done. but he doesn't think an team will give him a chance, so he'll probably hang 'em up.

I'd give him a chance.

I think he'd fit in nicely as the Jets' slot reciever. I love Chrebet, and because of that I can't bear to watch him get another concussion. So, if Jerry will take a one year deal at reasonable money, I'd take him.

Interested in what Seattle and Oakland fans think, since I admit I didn't see alot of Rice last year. Does he have anything left in the tank?

Heard an interview with Jerry on ESPN radio this afternoon.  Sounds like he wants to play and thinks he can still get it done. but he doesn't think an team will give him a chance, so he'll probably hang 'em up.

I'd give him a chance.

I think he'd fit in nicely as the Jets' slot reciever.  I love Chrebet, and because of that I can't bear to watch him get another concussion.  So, if Jerry will take a one year deal at reasonable money, I'd take him.

Interested in what Seattle and Oakland fans think, since I admit I didn't see alot of Rice last year.  Does he have anything left in the tank?

682360[/snapback]

The major downside I noticed with Rice is he can't run. No speed left whatsoever. That said, the guy can still get himself open and catch the ball.

I'd imagine he'll get the chance to do another year with a club, but he may not like the limitations they put on him.

The man is the Ricky Henderson of football.

He can still, somehow do it. I suspect a pact with the devil, but I think any team who could get him for a small amount of money, with both sides acknowledging what his role would be, would be well served to have him on their roster.

never liked the man (for no other reason that he played with the 9ers) but I can think of a few teams that could use a sure handed veteran to go with their young speed demons, and a young QB needing a sure route runner (Az, detroit, off the top of my head).

He can still, somehow do it.  I suspect a pact with the devil, but I think any team who could get him for a small amount of money, with both sides acknowledging what his role would be, would be well served to have him on their roster.

never liked the man (for no other reason that he played with the 9ers) but I can think of a few teams that could use a sure handed veteran to go with their young speed demons, and a young QB needing a sure route runner (Az, detroit, off the top of my head).

682412[/snapback]

I bet Mooch will give him a call.

He can still, somehow do it.  I suspect a pact with the devil, but I think any team who could get him for a small amount of money, with both sides acknowledging what his role would be, would be well served to have him on their roster.

682412[/snapback]

Excellent analogy. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that ricky henderson is still playing minor league ball.

Since he has no speed anymore, some coach needs to designate him as his "possession" receiver and mercilessly send him on routes over the middle. The hits he gets there might be just enough to push him into retirement!

No, I do not want that retired number of a HoF player stealing POS on my team.

He is done... I have no idea why he won't walk away.... but I am sure he will find another team to go to where they will give him another retired number of another HoF'er he wants to disrespect. In fact, I can see him going from team to team well into his 50's grabbing numbers right and left.

Just one more 'Sports Hero' sullying a stellar career by hanging on too long.

Edit to add:

Whew! Sure feel better now that I have that off my mind. :D

Edited by skylive5

Well I dunno. When he was sent up to Seattle, at first, he was going to be used - I believe - more as a "teacher". Then, when Koren Robinson had all his problems, and D-Jax got a case of the dropsies, Rice was looked to provide actual game production. Not gonna happen.

Now, consider my two "favorite teams":

Chargers: I could see him here. McCardell's a solid possession guy and Gates and Caldwell are emerging stars. Rice could definitely make a good impression on these guys.

Bears: God, where do I begin. Perhaps this would not good be a good fit. They have young receivers. That need help with route-running.

But yeah, the guy probably needs to hang 'em up, but I wouldn't turn him away if he landed in Sunny SD or the Windy City.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that ricky henderson is still playing minor league ball.

682454[/snapback]

Rickey played for the Newark Bears last year at age 45 and he was hoping that some MLB team would buy his contract and give him yet another shot in the bigs...I wouldn't be at all surprised if he planned on doing the same thing again this year.

As far as Jerry, he's without question the best WR ever to play in the NFL, and his longevity has allowed him to compile numbers that will never be matched. But when you consider the fact that he only caught 30 passes last season, didn't catch a ball in Seattle's playoff game this year (Honestly, I don't really remember him even being on the field), and had to take a backseat to guys the caliber of Bobby Engram, well, I think that he should probably take a cue from Emmitt and hang them up at this point.

Edited by Skrappy1

He is done... I have no idea why he won't walk away.... but I am sure he will find another team to go to where they will give him another retired number of another HoF'er he wants to disrespect. In fact, I can see him going from team to team well into his 50's grabbing numbers right and left.

Just one more 'Sports Hero' sullying a stellar career by hanging on too long.

Edit to add:

Whew! Sure feel better now that I have that off my mind. :D

682541[/snapback]

Dang sky, tell us how you REALLY feel.

Well I dunno.  When he was sent up to Seattle, at first, he was going to be used - I believe - more as a "teacher".  Then, when Koren Robinson had all his problems, and D-Jax got a case of the dropsies, Rice was looked to provide actual game production.  Not gonna happen.

682547[/snapback]

Robinson already had his problems, and Jackson had a serious case of the dropsies, and Engram got dinged....so, therefore, Rice had to produce.

According the the "play breakdown" stats provided by the huddle, he caught 25 balls with the Seahawks, was thrown to 46 times. Meaning he caught 54% of the balls thrown to him. That's around average from the looks of things. He averaged 13 yards a catch, and caught 3 TD in 10 games fluctuating between the #2 & #4 WR during the 2nd half of the season.

Not saying this is 1995 (but oh how I wish it were), but the guy put up some decent numbers. If I needed a possession receiver for a west coast offense/short pass system, I would extend the opportunity to him. Someone mentioned Detroit earlier, don't know if he and the moocher got along, and don't know if he's willing to get off the west coast, but that almost seems like a perfect situation with the offensive situation they have.

682541[/snapback]

That was all Whitsett's fault. Don't blame Rice (completely).

Dang sky, tell us how you REALLY feel.

682587[/snapback]

LOL ... all that pent up hostility just finally had to come out.

That was all Whitsett's fault. Don't blame Rice (completely).

682597[/snapback]

From my POV... if Rice was the decent person everyone keeps telling me he is he wouldn't have asked for, or taken, the number. It should have never been brought up in the conversation.

But that is just me... and I am over it now. :D

LOL ... all that pent up hostility just finally had to come out.

From my POV... if Rice was the decent person everyone keeps telling me he is he wouldn't have asked for, or taken, the number. It should have never been brought up in the conversation.

682614[/snapback]

I will look for the article, but Clare Farnsworth had a piece in the P-I (I think) that more or less said that Whitsett offered the # to Rice and called Largent for permission while Rice was in the room signing the contract, putting both guys in a bad spot. I'll try and find a link...

As a Bear fan.......I'd rather keep Terrell!  That POS is better than JR IS at this moment! :D

682623[/snapback]

:D

My thoughts exactly!

We have enough problems at WR, but thanks for the thought.

Now, consider my two "favorite teams":

682547[/snapback]

You'd better watch it. Some people here think that following two teams is "unethical." (cough... Menudo... cough) :D

As a Bear fan.......I'd rather keep Terrell!  That POS is better than JR IS at this moment! :D

682623[/snapback]

Terrell is worthless. He can't catch and seems to commit at least one stupid penalty every game. I'm going to be severely pissed if they don't cut him before next season.