[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper disses a kid

Guest Sores

Did you momos read the article?

In an unrelated note, Culpepper will appear in a 60-second NFL Network commercial to air during the Super Bowl along with several other players and coaches from around the league that didn't make it to the big game. They'll be singing Tomorrow, a tune from the musical Annie.

Kid's lucky. I woulda just brought him some ice water and taken it back after he had a sip.

Here's the Star Trib's version of the story.

Culpepper Deals With Changes

by Kevin Seifert

Star Tribune Staff Writer

Jacksonville, Fla. -- There was only one question from those assembled Wednesdayat an award news conference. It came from 17-year-old J.T. Townsend, wheelchair-bound because of a high school football injury, and included a small request.

"Hey, Daunte," Townsend said, "can I get some ice?"

"You wnat some ice?" Said Daunte Culpepper, holding his trademark diamond-encrusted Red Pepper necklace. "Here you go."

Culpepper then walked off the stage and put the chain, glittering like ice and worth about $100,000, around Townsend's neck. The crowd cheered, a light moment in what otherwise has been an unsettling offseason for the Vikings quarterback.

• Townsend returned Culpepper's "ice" after Wednesday's news conference -- in exchange for Culpepper's promise to send memorobilia. Culpepper left the building with Townsend's address tucked in his pocket.

Hmmm, I guess it's just in how the story is written on how it comes accross. I blame the liberal media. :D

Hmmm, I guess it's just in how the story is written on how it comes accross.  I blame the liberal media.   :D

683288[/snapback]

Yeah you know how the Liberal Media and black QBs work together. :D

Edited by WaterMan

Here is the whole story from the Star Tribune this morning:

Link

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. -- This is what happens when there is too much media and not enough stories.

One of the NFL's most genuine and kind players carried out a genuinely kind act Wednesday. And what did Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper get for his thoughtfulness?

National scorn, thanks to an Associated Press reporter who misinterpreted the scene and never bothered to follow up with the key players.

Here's what happened: While participating in a news conference Wednesday, Culpepper fielded an awkward question from a paralyzed 17-year-old boy. "Hey Daunte," said J.T. Townsend. "Can I get some ice?" -- a reference to the $100,000, diamond-encrusted necklace around Culpepper's neck.

With cameras rolling, Culpepper walked over to Townsend and thrilled him by hanging the necklace around his neck. Later, Culpepper sought out Townsend and put the chain back on. At Culpepper's request, Townsend's parents wrote down his address and contact information. Culpepper promised to send him gifts and memorabilia.

We were standing at Culpepper's side when the transaction took place. There was no animosity, no hurt feelings and no accusations of impropriety -- only thank-yous from Townsend, his parents and a doctor nearby.

The AP version of the story, however, in essence painted Culpepper as a spoiled athlete who "sheepishly" took away a gift from a paralyzed teenager once the cameras stopped shooting. Newspapers and Internet sites picked up the story nationally. One problem: Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Anyone who has met Culpepper knows he wears the necklace every day. He has for years. Garish as it might be -- its main ornament is a 6-inch hot pepper -- it carries sentimental and personal value. Since when is anyone -- athlete, actor, politician or average schmoe -- obligated to hand over personal possessions permanently when someone asks? Or should Culpepper have shot down the request and embarrassed Townsend on television?

If that's your story, then the next time someone asks you for your wedding ring or a sweater your grandmother knitted, you better cough it up. Or else find some real news to write about.

I love how we twist things just like the media does and bring the hammer down hard without knowing the whole story

I see nothing wrong with what he did. If anything he could have been a jerk about it ad just chuckled back at him and smiled and done nothing at all. Instead he went out of his way to put a smile on a kid's face. Ridiculous.

Yeah, however it went down, worst case scenario I can figure is that Daunte made a nice gesture, realized it may have been a mistake, and rectified it with no issues from the kid or his parents. No malice aforethought, no harm, no foul. Pep has never appeared to be anything but a class act from where I sit, why are they giving him sh*t?

Don't you love 3000 reporters covering jack squat?