[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

COMMENTARY FROM THE EDGE

rattsass

First off let me state my extreme boredom with the two week break between the league championships and the Superbowl. Hype hype hype, prod prod prod. Blah blah blah. zzz ZZZ zzz. The NFL wants to prolong the climax, but I think most of us men would rather just "get 'er done". Well, everyone except Bill Belichick.

The two week break affords both coaches ample opportunity to concoct their mad schemes against a team they have not faced in ages. This is not necessarily good news for Andy Reid. While Reid is certainly a talented coach in his own right, the football world has proclaimed the crafty Belichick the latest edition of NFL genius. Belichick is the golden boy, and Andy Reid is the unassuming fat cousin tagging along in this family outing.

A few weeks ago it seemed popular opinion that the Patriots run was about over. They wouldn't be able to hang with the Colts. Not this year. Even at Foxboro the Colts would pull this one off. It was "their year". And to tell you the truth, I kind of got caught up in it myself. Even though I had predicted just weeks earlier in this column that the Colts season would end when they hit the great outdoors, I almost started to believe it. But in the hours closing to game time, when it was time to lay the money down I took the Pats +2. By halftime I wished I had bet the house. Belichick did it again.

I don't talk much about the Patriots in my column. Mainly because my column is based on making fun of things that suck, and the Patriots certainly do not. My only problem with the Patriots is that they are just boring. I know all you Pats fans think I am a complete idiot right now at this moment (and many other moments I'm sure) for uttering such a statement. And if I was a Patriots fan I would probably think they were very exciting. But to a disinterested bystander this team just evokes no emotion from me whatsoever. I can't like them. I can't hate them. I can respect them. But I'm tired of watching them. I want them to go away now.

The Eagles aren't all that boring. Nope. Over there you have a "bust" wide receiver trash talking on the dirtiest player in the game. Freddie Mitchell living dangerously. Who is he again? Hey Freddie, why not just catch Mike Tyson with a few drinks in him and call him a wussy?

And then we have the star wide receiver with a broken leg telling everyone he's playing, after spending the championship game cheerleading on the bench. Terrell has visions of catching that game winning pass, ankle bleeding ala Curt Schilling, hoisted on his teammates shoulders and carted off the field a hero.

I have visions of Terrell limping around like grandpa, not being able to get open, and the bone and pins jutting out of his leg and carted off the field a former former player.

On media day I was witness to another unpleasant Eagles moment. On the NFL network an Eagle player who shall remain nameless crashed the set with Rich Eisen and Terrell Davis, blocking the camera while ripping off Eisen's tie and replacing it with this players "pimp tie" which he was busy pimping on the NFL's dime. Seems he has a website to sell his pimp ties and he used the Superbowl media day to hit it big in the garment industry. Only in America. Focus. Where is the focus here? And let me tell you something. I'm no fashion expert. But that ridiculous bowtie made Eisen look like Bozo the Clown. It's going nowhere. Eisen looked about as thrilled as though he had taken a bite out of a Athenae sandwich.

Obviously I have no idea what is really going on in the Eagles heads, but you have to wonder about a few of them.

Yet, that being as it may I still feel compelled to take the Eagles plus the points. An old betting axiom goes, bet with the streak or don't bet at all. The Pats have won both Superbowls by 3 points, and failed to cover as a favorite against Carolina last year. I took the points last year, I'll take the points this year. But the bet I really like is the teaser (yes, I know teasers are for fools) taking the Eagles + 14 1/2 and over 40.5.

Since 1992 only 2 Superbowls have scored under 40 points, and less than half have been blowouts. Betting the under in the Superbowl is dangerous territory. These teams didn't get here NOT scoring a lot of points. Of course, I am assuming there won't be a monsoon.

MISERY INDEX: (short version)

5) Terrell Owens: Yeah, I know he is playing. But it won't be what it was supposed to be. I will be stunned if he has much value to the Eagles in this game. The Patriots press him at the line and go for his ankles early and often, and he is in for a very painful day one way or another. Luckily for us, the injury will not affect his mouth.

4) Andy Reid: Okay, he has a built in pass for losing this game with T.O. limping around. But the fact remains Reid not only needs to figure out how to win this game, but to keep from being embarrassed by Loverboy's lead singer holding the other clipboard. Andy, you're in the big leagues now. Think outside the bun.

3) Freddie Mitchell: Rodney Harrison likes to break bones. Freddie Mitchell has bones.

2) Huddle Sig line novelists: Well, the jig is up. Too bad too because I was planning on using "War and Peace" for my sig line next season.

1) Non Huddle subscribers: For missing some of the best content in the Fantasy football world.

(the preceding was a shameless attempt to pimp The Huddle, and my contributions thereto. )

Edited by rattsass

He's a columnist for The Huddle, sparky.  :D

683994[/snapback]

Sorry, shoulda mentioned that I guess. I don't want any credit. Just putting it out there for the bored on the board.

Enjoyed reading it! Thanks!! :D

684023[/snapback]

Thanks!

Yeah it is Bill! I usually proofread when I am getting paid. Not today!

Edited by rattsass

4) Andy Reid:  Okay, he has a built in pass for losing this game with T.O. limping around.  But the fact remains Reid not only needs to figure out how to win this game, but to keep from being embarrassed by Loverboy's lead singer holding the other clipboard.  Andy, you're in the big leagues now.  Think outside the bun.

chuckle

2)  Huddle Sig line novelists:  Well, the jig is up.  Too bad too because I was planning on using "War and Peace" for my sig line next season.

chuckle x2

683961[/snapback]

Yet, that being as it may I still feel compelled to take the Eagles plus the points.  An old betting axiom goes, bet with the streak or don't bet at all.  The Pats have won both Superbowls by 3 points, and failed to cover as a favorite against Carolina last year.  I took the points last year, I'll take the points this year.  But the bet I really like is the teaser (yes, I know teasers are for fools) taking the Eagles + 14 1/2 and over 40.5. 

683961[/snapback]

Since I like to openly admit when I am wrong I think it's ok to point out when I am right. Thanks for your support!!