[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking back on a legend

schellin30

Let's think...

NFL all-time leader for:

Rushing yards

Rushing attempts

1000 yard seasons

rushing touchdowns

post-season rushing touchdowns

Three time NFL rushing leader season

Nine pro bowls

three super bowl championships

Objectively, who can come close to what Emmit accomplished?

Some defining words, by way of ESPN.com:

In 1993, the Cowboys and Giants were both 11-4. The winner got the NFC East title, home-field advantage in the playoffs and a first-round bye. The loser got a wild-card game the following week.

Smith separated his shoulder in the third quarter but returned to the game, which went into overtime tied at 13. He carried the ball on nine of the Cowboys' 11 plays in the extra period at one point raising his aching shoulder to stiff-arm Lawrence Taylor on his final run, which set up Eddie Murray's game-winning field goal.

He finished with 229 total yards and a touchdown on 32 carries and 10 receptions, the heaviest workload in team history, then spent the night in a hospital.

Had the Cowboys lost that game, Smith probably wouldn't have been able to play the following week in a wild-card game. That would have made the road much more difficult in what turned out to be the Cowboys' second of three Super Bowl victories in four seasons.

The greatest "all around" back in the history of the league. Barry was a more dynamic, Jim Brown was more powerful, but no back was more complete. Although only 5'9 205 pounds, he never ran out of bounds, he took on....and destroyed blitzing safeties and linebackers, and he caught over 500 passes. Never the biggest, fastest, or flashiest, he was a model of consistency who's heart and determination made him truly one of a kind.

The greatest "all around" back in the history of the league. Barry was a more dynamic, Jim Brown was more powerful, but no back was more complete. Although only 5'9 205 pounds, he never ran out of bounds, he took on....and destroyed blitzing safeties and linebackers, and he caught over 500 passes. Never the biggest, fastest, or flashiest, he was a model of consistency who's heart and determination made him truly one of a kind.

684004[/snapback]

Walter Payton is god.

684006[/snapback]

I would have to say Emmitt, although I was never a fan of the Cowboy's I was always a fan of his. He is also a class act in the NFL as was Walter... if Walter were on ateam that was consistently good like Emmitt his career may have been comparible. IMHO

Even though I never liked the Cowboys I've been a fan of Emmitt since he played for Florida. That said I think he'd rank higher on my list if he'd retired from the Cowboys the first time. Breaking the record was nice, but doing it when he obviously wasn't the player he used to be kinda tainted it for me.

By all means, Emmitt's got the numbers. All-time great, 1st ballot HOFer, no doubt about it.

That line he had in front of him....how many HOFers on it? 2? 3? HOF QB? HOF WR on the offense as well?

Not saying he didn't do his part, just he had a lot of help.

Sorry, but Walter had it all, records aside. Ya can't include playoffs and SB's. That's a team thing. Walter played on some of the worst teams and still played great! That has to account for sumtin'! :D

Walter will ALWAYS be #1!!!!!!!

DMD......your Cowboy pref is showin', and it ain't pretty!

And mebee my Bear pref is showin', but Walter was the best!

Objectively, who can come close to what Emmit accomplished?

683975[/snapback]

No one can match his career totals, but I don't think that his longevity allowing him to compile the most numbers means that he was the best...I mean, Hank Aaron is the all-time HR leader in baseball, but when you talk about the greatest hitter of all-time, his name doesn't enter the discussion.

The greatest "all around" back in the history of the league. Barry was a more dynamic, Jim Brown was more powerful, but no back was more complete. Never the biggest, fastest, or flashiest, he was a model of consistency who's heart and determination made him truly one of a kind.

684004[/snapback]

By all means, Emmitt's got the numbers.  All-time great, 1st ballot HOFer, no doubt about it.

That line he had in front of him....how many HOFers on it? 2? 3? HOF QB? HOF WR on the offense as well?

684124[/snapback]

I think the above two posts hit the nail right on the head. Picking one all-time great player at any position in any sport is too subjective...you can never rate players on even ground as there are just too many factors to consider (team around them, system they played in, era they played in, etc.).

I think Emmitt definitely has to be considered in the top 5 all-time. Many people whose opinions I respect greatly consider Jim Brown to be hands down the greatest RB of all-time, but I'm only 30 so I never saw him play. Emmitt was undeniably great, and he may have been more complete as far as blocking and all, but I still feel the greatest runner that I've ever seen is Barry Sanders.

Edited by Skrappy1

Sorry, but Walter had it all, records aside.  Ya can't include playoffs and SB's.  That's a team thing. Walter played on some of the worst teams and still played great!  That has to account for sumtin'! :D

Walter will ALWAYS be #2!!!!!!!

DMD......your Cowboy pref is showin', and it ain't pretty!

And mebee my Bear pref is showin', but Walter was the best!

684168[/snapback]

If career accomplishments don't count the most, then the greatest RB of all time must be Timmy Smith who set the rushing record in the Super Bowl. He was in the toughest venue and did the most. :D

Walter was outstanding on a variety of levels, just not quite as accomplished.

If I had to choose which back I would prefer to watch in a game, it would be Barry all season long! Emmitt is a great back, but as far as ability, speed and agility, it would be Barry! I think if Emmitt played in Detroit he would not be as big of a stud as he was in Dallas!

JMO!

The best all around back I ever saw ... Emmitt Smith.

He didn't come out on passing downs, Barry did.

He didn't come out on short yardage plays, Barry did.

He didn't come out in the red zone, Barry did.

684237[/snapback]

I think most are probably willing to concede the best "all around" argument to Emmitt, but you obviously didn't watch too many Lions' games. :D

1. Barry was a good receiver who almost always stayed in on passing downs.

2. Barry also didn't always come out on short yardage and red zone carries, mainly only the last 2 seasons of his career.

Edited by Skrappy1

It seems even in retirement this debate won't go away...at least now we can view their numbers in their entirety.

Career Totals:

Emmitt - 15 Seasons - 18,355 yards rushing w/ 164 TDs + 515 receptions for 3,224 yards receiving w/ 11 TDs

Barry - 10 Seasons - 15,269 yards rushing w/ 99 TDs + 352 receptions for 2,921 yards receiving w/ 10 TDs

Season Averages:

Emmitt - 1,223 yards rushing w/ 10.9 TDs + 34 receptions for 214 yards receiving w/ .7 TD

Barry - 1,526 yards rushing w/ 9.9 TDs + 35 receptions for 292 yards receiving w/ 1 TD

Emmitt's totals are better because he stuck around 5 years longer. Barry's seasonal averages are substantially better for much the same reason...it shouldn't go without note that Barry had easily his best statistical season two years before he retired, and his final season he still rushed for almost 1,500 yards and added another 289 receiving...he wasn't slipping in any way when he decided to hang them up.

They both won one regular season MVP award. Emmitt of course won a Superbowl MVP and 3 Superbowls with the Cowboys, Barry mostly played on horrible teams (though I do remember Barry and the Lions spanking Dallas in a playoff game in 1991, and I think I remember a Monday Night Football game with Detroit and Dallas around 1994 where I believe Barry torched Dallas for over 200 yards, but my memory may be a bit cloudy on that last one).

They're both among the top 5 RBs of all-time, I just feel Barry was the best, most exciting runner that I've seen in my life.

Edited by Skrappy1

I think I remember a Monday Night Football game with Detroit and Dallas around 1994 where I believe Barry torched Dallas for over 200 yards

I tried to find a game log of this, but to no avail...I did find that Barry had 194 yards rushing in that game and Detroit won 20-17 in overtime, but I can't find Emmitt's statistics for it.

Not that it would bring this old argument to any kind of conclusion, I just thought it would be fun to look back on it because I do remember that being a great MNF game...all the hype surrounding Emmitt and Barry and who was better. I think the large majority of people considered the better of the two to be Emmitt at that point (myself not included), but over time I think people began to appreciate more what Barry was able to accomplish while playing on a horrible team.

Edited by Skrappy1

684004[/snapback]

Traitor (haven't we been through this before Herd?)

I think Emmitt was the greatest of all time....even if he didn't break Payton's record....

he dominated his position for a decade...and also was not on what we technically call a run 1st team....

this team was teeming with talent all around the offense and it started with him while they offset eachother...he played great in the regular season, and in the playoffs...

on an average season, they made it to the nfcc and lost....

and it all started with him, neither Aikman nor Irvin would be what they were without Emmitt, just as he wouldn't have been as great with out the Moose shedding his own career for him....

It's crazy watching him retire, because not many great players are retiring in the fashion that he has anymore. I'll mention a few names.. Irvin, Aikman, Barry, even T davis had his career cut short due to injury and out of those names, Barry was the only one to leave because he didn't have the will to play anymore...

Emmitt retired because he simply went through and completed the 4 phases of his great career....a rookie who was very good early in his career, then he went to being a steady all-pro....then a legend....and then he used up his mileage and was forced to retire because his body couldn't endure it anymore and he faced the facts that it was time...

as an eagle fan...it's actually sad to see him go as he was the man who terrorized my childhood....ahah...

It was nice to see him go on his own terms, Aikman and Irvin were forced out and that's never the way you want to end it. Here's a quick observation on my part...in his press conference, Emmitt seemed genuinly sincere when he spoke of Jerry Jones and the Cowboys organization...but did it seem as if Jerry was kind of indifferent? I didn't sense the warmth from him, that I did from Emmitt. Now Jerry has had some platic surgery..maybe they closed his tear ducts, or just maybe his face won't move that way anymore, but I just thought he would be a little more emotional.

Ickey Woods

Extrapolate his rookie numbers for 15 years and see what you get.

The Ickey Shuffle is still one of the more popular endzone celebrations.

Seriously, this argument has to stop.

Emmit was a great RB, no doubt. But you Dallas fans don't give enough credit to the awesome team that was around him. And you anti-Dallas fans don't give enough credit to how good Emmit actually was, which is pretty freakin' good.

This same argument was had over Joe Montana being the best QB ever. He had more talent around him that any other QB in that argument, too. So that has to weigh in there.

Personally, I think Sanders, if he played a similar-length career, puts up similar numbers. If he plays them on a team of Dallas caliber, I think he'd have passed Emmit. Payton was awesome, too. So was Gayle Sayers. Where does he rank?

Jim Brown did some spectacular stuff in a pretty short career. That fact that he is rarely mentioned in this argument tells me this arguments is not at all objective.

How about this? ALL THE GUYS YOU MENTION ARE TOP 5 OR TOP 10. Can that PLEASE be good enough?

So put me down for Ickey Woods. Why not?

Emmit is my choice. He was the total package.

Barry is second for me - a class by himself as far as running style. Interesting bit of trivia: he has the record for most tackles behind the line of scrimmage....

By all means, Emmitt's got the numbers.  All-time great, 1st ballot HOFer, no doubt about it.

684124[/snapback]

You are correct sir!

He racked up alot of yards against some bad Eagles and Cardinals teams back in the 90's