[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Greatest Running Back Ever Is ...

Grits and Shins

Yep, it is.  :D 

However, it isn't gonna settle any arguments and it won't stop at least four threads being started on the topic every year.  :D

684467[/snapback]

While you're absolutely right with that point......this is clearly the best way to settle the argument.....breaking it down by running back category...... I'd forgotten that Payton did all of that......

Great article DMD. Very good explanation and layout of all the stats.

Unfortunately we will never know the numbers Sanders or Brown would have put up if they played as long a Payton and Emmitt. Or if Brown would have put up the same type of numbers if he played in the same era as Payton or Emmitt and Barry. Either way these guys have to be in any conversation regarding the top 4 or 5, I might put Sayers in that conersation too.

Great article DMD.  Very good explanation and layout of all the stats. 

Unfortunately we will never know the numbers Sanders or Brown would have put up if they played as long a Payton and Emmitt.  Or if Brown would have put up the same type of numbers if he played in the same era as Payton or Emmitt and Barry.  Either way these guys have to be in any conversation regarding the top 4 or 5, I might put Sayers in that conersation too.

684497[/snapback]

The NFL season was also shorter when Jim Brown played. Comparing stats from the first 9 seasons is irrelevant when you look at Jim Brown's games played compared to anyone else's over a 9 season time frame. I've rarely ever heard a current or former rb ever refer to anyone other than Jim Brown as the greatest rb of all time. It's a silly argument and I can't believe anyone would think Emmitt Smith is the greatest of all time. When he retired yesterday, I didn't hear a single person call him the greatest on ESPN or the NFL Network. No one wants to lose credibility over a silly statement like that.

When he retired yesterday, I didn't hear a single person call him the greatest on ESPN or the NFL Network.  No one wants to lose credibility over a silly statement like that.

684531[/snapback]

:D If Stewart Scott doesn't think so then well, it isn't the case. Please.

Since credibility is not an issue for me around here, let me make this simple for everyone.

The Greatest RB Ever is Emmitt Smith.

The NFL season was also shorter when Jim Brown played.  Comparing stats from the first 9 seasons is irrelevant when you look at Jim Brown's games played compared to anyone else's over a 9 season time frame.  I've rarely ever heard a current or former rb ever refer to anyone other than Jim Brown as the greatest rb of all time.  It's a silly argument and I can't believe anyone would think Emmitt Smith is the greatest of all time.  When he retired yesterday, I didn't hear a single person call him the greatest on ESPN or the NFL Network.  No one wants to lose credibility over a silly statement like that.

684531[/snapback]

I agree that Jim Brown is the best, unfortunatlely I am too young to have seen him play but the numbers he put up are incredible. Just about anyone I talk to that I respect their football knowledge (that is not a Cowboy homer) agrees that Brown is the best ever. Then the discussion is for number 2 and on.

:D If Stewart Scott doesn't think so then well, it isn't the case.  Please.

Since credibility is not an issue for me around here, let me make this simple for everyone.

The Greatest RB Ever is Emmitt Smith.

684548[/snapback]

He's 3 or 4 in my book. If Barry Sanders, Jim Brown or Walter Payton had retired yesterday you people would be saying the same thing that you're saying now just insert a different name. I wasn't talking about Stu Scott, I was talking about the former players that now work for these networks.

Jim Brown, despite his sometimes radical politics, surely was the best in my opinion, but Gale Sayers (sorry Barry) was the most exciting RB I ever saw. He could run at full speed, stop for almost a full second, and then be back at top speed all in the same move. It was incredible to watch that guy. Despite being a "speed and moves" type of a back, he rarely ran backwards to look for a rushing lane. 6 inches was enough of a hole for Sayers. The guy could slide through the opening under a door! Great article....

But not to slight Emmitt, he was a very good, tough durable back (remember the game he played against the giants with a seperated shoulder?), but he also ran behind what could have been the best O line in NFL history. Smith was a great back, but Brown will most likely remain the best of all time for all time.

Jim Brown, despite his sometimes radical politics, surely was the best in my opinion, but Gale Sayers (sorry Barry) was the most exciting RB I ever saw. He could run at full speed, stop for almost a full second, and then be back at top speed all in the same move. It was incredible to watch that guy. Despite being a "speed and moves" type of a back, he rarely ran backwards to look for a rushing lane. 6 inches was enough of a hole for Sayers. The guy could slide through the opening under a door! Great article....

But not to slight Emmitt, he was a very good, tough durable back (remember the game he played against the giants with a seperated shoulder?), but he also ran behind what could have been the best O line in NFL history. Smith was a great back, but Brown will most likely remain the best of all time for all time.

684711[/snapback]

The only thing I take issue with is when people say the line was the reason Emmit was so good (I know you didn't say that Rovers). Does no one remember the first three games of the 1993 season? That team still had every other healthy piece including its coach and couldn't win a game until Jerry was forced to eat crow and pay Emmit.

If being the greatest of all time is who you'd start a team with, I have to say Emmit (though I'm admittedly a biased 'boys homer). Until the last four years, they guy never gave way to a third down back. He finished a game with a 2nd-degree shoulder separation so his team could get the bye and he could be healthy for their 2nd SB run. And though he never busted off an 87-yard TD, he never got shut out from inside the five either. Like Priest and Marcus Allen, he was an incredible TD machine. I admittedly never saw JB, but his stats are impressive. But NO ONE has EVER had more class than #22, EVER.