[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you can't win the national championship trophy...

Pack Mentality

This must be the work of a student prankster(s), because there is no market for these hot potatoes. Either that or someone high on crack who didn't think it through very well.

Who would be willing to buy it? If you did, where could you proudly display it with impunity - offshore somewhere? But why? You didn't earn it yourself - I just can't see it at all....

Grits and Shins:

Kansas State 2000:

Grits and Shins:

It is awarded to the most popular team.

Or stolen from that team on the field by a pass interference call that was not pass interference.
Yeah right :D ... let's not talk about the 5 turnovers. It's just like the Pats/Raiders game, the refs cost them the game ON that one play. loco

Uh, what?? Of course they did - all the work that put you into being in the position to win it - i.e. the top 2-3 teams in the land - means you "earned it" if the voters choose your team.

Kinda like the Oscars - opinions may vary on who deserves the best picture/actor statue, but all the nominees "earned" the right to be there in the running. There is controversy of course, especially in recent years, but don't try to tell us those kids/coaches didn't "earn it", just because there is no playoff in college football...

...you sound bitter, dude...

Kansas State 2000:

Grits and Shins:

Kansas State 2000:

Grits and Shins:

It is awarded to the most popular team.

Or stolen from that team on the field by a pass interference call that was not pass interference.
Yeah right :D ... let's not talk about the 5 turnovers. It's just like the Pats/Raiders game, the refs cost them the game ON that one play. loco Wrong. The game is won or lost in it's entirety ... not on any single play, unless of course a perfect game is played.

Kansas State 2000:

One play does dictate the outcome ... the immaculate reception, Drew Pearson's hail mary catch, freemans Monday night play, Flutie at Boston College, Kordell to Westbrock at Colorado, etc.

Wrong ... that one play is the culmination of 60 minutes of play. Did the losing team convert on every drive? Did they have no turn overs? Did they stop the opponent's offense on every drive? Did they have no penalties?

Grits and Shins:

Wrong ... that one play is the culmination of 60 minutes of play.  Did the losing team convert on every drive?  Did they have no turn overs?  Did they stop the opponent's offense on every drive?  Did they have no penalties?

Was the FINAL Score posted after the play? thinking

Kansas State 2000:

Grits and Shins:

Wrong ... that one play is the culmination of 60 minutes of play.  Did the losing team convert on every drive?  Did they have no turn overs?  Did they stop the opponent's offense on every drive?  Did they have no penalties?

Was the FINAL Score posted after the play? thinking Did the FINAL score include earlier scores?

Grits and Shins:

Coffeeman:

Uh, what??  Of course they did - all the work that put you into being in the position to win it - i.e. the top 2-3 teams in the land - means you "earned it" if the voters choose your team. 

Kinda like the Oscars - opinions may vary on who deserves the best picture/actor statue, but all the nominees "earned" the right to be there in the running.  There is controversy of course, especially in recent years, but don't try to tell us those kids/coaches didn't "earn it", just because there is no playoff in college football...

...you sound bitter, dude...

It's a popularity contest, plain and simple. And, no, they didn't "earn it". They won the popularity contest. Based on this and your running battle with KS2K, let me get all this straight:

1) You don't feel the NC team has put in enough effort to say they "won" the title, just becuz a playoff system does not exist;

2) If playoff games are played, say like in the NFL, a game is NEVER decided by 1 or 2 key plays?

3) Therefore you are completely confident with the idea that the "right team/best team" ALWAYS wins because God, or the Universe, (or whatever you believe in,) always makes sure the deserving team wins?

Whoa, you are completely off your rocker....

Guest VoteQuimby

Just pissed at the topic as I stated in the tailgate. I agree with you and KS. I'm also quite sure that FSU deserved their championship in 99 when they went wire to wire.

KSU ... that home run was the culmination of 18 innings of play ... take any other run away from the Rangers and the game is over in 9 inning with the Rangers losing.

That home run was the LAST play of the game, the one that sealed the deal ... but the game could not have been won with out the other 7 runs.

Coffeeman ... yes, the NC is a popularity contest. The two teams that are the most popular make it to game that is deemed to be the championship game. The national championship is determined by a VOTE, note by what happens on the field.

There certainly are key plays in games ... but no play stands alone. No single play or no single error can be the "game loser" or "game winner". A single play can certainly be the one that finishes the game (like a walk off home run, or like a FG in OT) ... but there was a whole game of plays to get to that point. I would say that a game could be determined by one play when the game is ONLY 1 play long.

Certainly the best team does not always win. Teams make mistakes and have off days.

All I know is that I am a fan of Western Kentucky University. In 2002(not last season the year before) they won the National Championship. They won the 1-AA playoff. There is no one who can say that they didn't earn it. So until there is a playoff this debate will continue. And no one play can win or lose a game it can just feel like it. Or change the face of the game.

lynch:

All I know is that I am a fan of Western Kentucky University.  In 2002(not last season the year before) they won the National Championship.  They won the 1-AA playoff.  There is no one who can say that they didn't earn it.  So until there is a playoff this debate will continue.  And no one play can win or lose a game it can just feel like it.  Or change the face of the game.

We are talking about division 1A where the national champion is voted on and then declared.