[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboy bias strikes again!

quiveringnorm

The Dallas Cowboys have been to 8 Super Bowls and won 5 of them. Yet they only have 5 Hall of fame inductees. What a joke. Michael Irvin was the heart and soul of the early 90's Cowboys. Freakin' Lynn Swann and John Stallworth in???? They could not carry Irvin's jock. Thumbs down on the HOF committee. Pathetic. :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Feb. 5, 2005) -- Dan Marino and Steve Young made it a great day for quarterbacks when both were elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Marino, the most prolific passer in NFL history, and Young, whose accuracy and speed made him one of football's most versatile QBs, were joined Saturday by Benny Friedman, an early-era quarterback, and Fritz Pollard.

Each received at least 80 percent of the votes from the panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

Friedman and Pollard were nominated by the senior committee and chosen by the full panel.

Induction ceremonies will be Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio.

"It's an incredible honor," Marino said. "It's humbling to think of growing up wanting to be a professional football player.

"Let's overrun Canton with Dolphins fans. I invite you all to Canton and to have some fun."

Steve Young and Dan Marino congratulate each other on their HOF honors.     

When Marino left the Miami Dolphins after the 1999 season, he had NFL bests of 4,967 completions, 8,358 passes, 61,361 yards and 420 touchdowns. His record of 48 TD passes in a season was recently broken by Peyton Manning.

Although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was the 1984 league MVP, made three All-Pro teams and nine Pro Bowls. When he retired, he owned 21 NFL marks, including most seasons with 3,000 yards or more passing (13); most yards passing in one season (5,084 in '84, the only year he won a conference championship); and most games with 300 yards or more passing (63).

Young, the first modern-era left-handed quarterback elected, won the 1995 Super Bowl with San Francisco and was the league's most valuable player in 1992 and '94. A clever runner with a strong arm and great field vision, Young made seven Pro Bowls and was a three-time All-Pro. He held the highest passer rating in league history (96.8) when he retired in '99. He also set the highest single-season rating of 112.8, which Manning also broke this season.

"Not many Hall of Famers come out of Greenwich, Conn.," Young said with a chuckle. "I took a unique road, starting with being left-handed. I had a college coach, LaVell Edwards, who took a chance on a wild, crazy left-handed running quarterback from Connecticut."

Pollard not only was the first black head coach in the NFL, in 1921, but a superb player, too. A running back, he led the Akron Pros to the fledgling league's 1920 championship with an undefeated record.

He later organized the Chicago Brown Bombers, an independent team of black players that barnstormed the country from 1927-33.

Friedman played for four teams from 1927-34 and was one of the early NFL's great quarterbacks. A contemporary of Red Grange, he also was a strong draw at the box office. Giants owner Tim Mara purchased the Detroit Wolverines, for whom Friedman played in 1928, not only to get him in New York's lineup but to fill the stands.

"We both appreciate and honor the people who played in another era," Young said, speaking for Marino, as well. "You're talking about having a passion for the game. We're here on the backs of so many other players.

"This is important Fritz Pollard and what he meant for the game. There's a foundation there we are able to join arms with."

Michael Irvin and Harry Carson, the other two finalists, did not get the required votes for induction.

Irvin didnt get in

I believe Irvin will get in eventually (Art Monk...what are they waiting for) but I was a little disappointed, his numbers are first ballot in my opinion. Now, if for some reason he never gets in...then I'll say there is a bias, but I have to say..only two Cowboys offensive players in the HOF seems odd.

He' going to have to pay for the drug problems. I see Irvin getting in in the last year or two of eligbility.

Fair or not, it will influence the judges.....

As for more Cowboys being in the HOF, absolutely...... should be a bunch more then there is now.... :D

I'm pretty sure Irvin will get in

686240[/snapback]

I agree, Irvin will get in within the next couple of years, but his numbers are probably not first-ballot material as is...when you consider his off the field troubles, and a couple of the other first time eligibles he was competing aginst this year in Marino and Young, it just wasn't going to be his year. As a Giant homer (though not particularly a Giant fan), I think Harry Carson deserves to get in as well, though I'm not sure if he ever will.

Freakin' Lynn Swann and John Stallworth in????  They could not carry Irvin's jock.  Thumbs down on the HOF committee.  Pathetic. :D

686237[/snapback]

Stallworth:

John Stallworth played for the Pittsburgh Steelers for 14 seasons from 1974 through 1987.

Stallworth caught 537 passes for 8,723 yards and 63 touchdowns, all Steelers team records. A veteran of six AFC championship games and all four Steelers Super Bowl triumphs, Stallworth was named All-Pro in 1979 and All-AFC in 1979 and 1984. He also played in four Pro Bowls following the 1979, 1982, 1983 and 1984 seasons.

Stallworth, who scored the winning touchdown on a 73-yard reception in Super Bowl XIV against the Los Angeles Rams, holds the Super Bowl records for career average per catch (24.4 yards) and single-game average, 40.33 yards in Super Bowl XIV. He had 12 touchdown receptions and a string of 17 straight games with a reception in post-season play.

He also holds or held Steelers team records for career and single-season receptions and career reception yardage. His 64 touchdowns scored rank second behind Franco Harris. He led the AFC with a career-high 1,395 yards gained on 80 receptions in 1984, when he was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Swann:

Lynn Swann joined the Steelers in 1974 just as they were embarking on a winning binge that produced six straight AFC Central Division titles and four Super Bowl championships in six years.

Hhe recorded 49 catches for 781 yards and a league-high 11 touchdowns and then finished off the season with a flourish by winning Most Valuable Player honors in the Steelers’ 21-17 Super Bowl X victory over the Dallas Cowboys. For his part, Swann contributed four receptions for a then-Super Bowl record 161 yards. Included was a spectacular 64-yard catch and run that produced the winning touchdown.

Born in Alcoa, Tennessee, on March 7, 1952, Lynn played nine seasons with the Steelers. His lifetime chart showed 336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns. His combined total of 364 receiving yards in four games ranked first in Super Bowl history at the time of his retirement.

Named All-Pro in 1975, 1977, and 1978, Swann was also voted to the Pro Bowl after each of those seasons. One of the most exciting players of his time, Swann was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s, and to the Super Bowl Silver Anniversary Team.

Irvin hasn't even been chosen by the Cowboys for their Ring of Honor.

And he's a jackass.

The Dallas Cowboys have been to 8 Super Bowls and won 5 of them.  Yet they only have 5 Hall of fame inductees.  What a joke.  Michael Irvin was the heart and soul of the early 90's Cowboys.  Freakin' Lynn Swann and John Stallworth in????  They could not carry Irvin's jock.  Thumbs down on the HOF committee.  Pathetic. :D

686237[/snapback]

:bawling:

He recorded 49 catches for 781 yards and a league-high 11 touchdowns... Lynn played nine seasons with the Steelers. His lifetime chart showed 336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns.

:D Holy crap! Now I'm convinced that Swann couldn't hold Irvin's or Monk's jock. With those stats, the only way Swann should be admitted to the Hall of Fame is if he buys a ticket.

Irvin hasn't even been chosen by the Cowboys for their Ring of Honor. 

And he's a jackass.

686368[/snapback]

That Jackass almost has more yards than Swann and Stallworth combined, couple that with the fact that the Cowboys were a run first team ( you know, that #22 guy) makes Irvins numbers even more impressive. Lynn Swann was voted in on the strength of four games, his career numbers are NOT worthy of the Hall.

It's unfortunate that people's memories of how the game was played has faded. Why don't you guys go to pro football reference and see how many TD's, rec's and yards the leaders had during Swann's and Stallworth's career.

1974 league leaders

Rec's 72 Rec TD's 13 Rec yards 1092

1975 league leaders

Rec's 73 Rec TD's 11 Rec yards 1063

1976 league leaders

Rec's 66 Rec TD's 12 Rec yards 1112

1977 league leaders

Rec's 71 Rec TD's 12 Rec yards 870

Remember they played during the bump and run era when downfield contact was allowed and there weren't a ton of rules to give the offense (particularly WR's) an advantage..........

I believe Swann and Stalworth did not make it on their first time either.

Actually Swann quit in 1982 inducted in 2001

Stalworth quit in 1987 inducted in 2001

Irvin might have to wait for a while

Edited by jackshi17

Art Monk and Michael Irvin should have both been elected to the HOF this year, imo. Of course, in Irvins case, I believe the Hall already has filled its alloted quota of cokehead ghetto assclowns when Lawrence Taylor made it..

It's unfortunate that people's memories of how the game was played has faded.  Why don't you guys go to pro football reference and see how many TD's, rec's and yards the leaders had during Swann's and Stallworth's career. 

1974 league leaders

Rec's 72  Rec TD's 13  Rec yards 1092

1975 league leaders

Rec's 73  Rec TD's 11  Rec yards 1063

1976  league leaders

Rec's 66  Rec TD's  12  Rec yards 1112

1977  league leaders

Rec's 71  Rec TD's  12  Rec yards 870

Remember they played during the bump and run era when downfield contact was allowed and there weren't a ton of rules to give the offense (particularly WR's) an advantage..........

686489[/snapback]

True, but it's not like Irvin ran around and relied on his speed and agility. For the most part, Irvin was a possesion receiver, who went across the middle, made tough catches and was one of the best downfield blockers ever. Regardless of what era they played in...the numbers difference is staggering.

It's unfortunate that people's memories of how the game was played has faded.  Why don't you guys go to pro football reference and see how many TD's, rec's and yards the leaders had during Swann's and Stallworth's career. 

1974 league leaders

Rec's 72  Rec TD's 13  Rec yards 1092

1975 league leaders

Rec's 73  Rec TD's 11  Rec yards 1063

1976  league leaders

Rec's 66  Rec TD's  12  Rec yards 1112

1977  league leaders

Rec's 71  Rec TD's  12  Rec yards 870

686489[/snapback]

:D