[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb McSucked

Grits and Shins

I wasn't a fan of either team last night so I didn't particularily care who won.

I was surprised at how effective Owens was given his injury and I give him props for doing what it takes to get on the field.

Westbrook had a very nice game as well ... heck even Pinkston was doing his part.

But McNabb looked out of his element ... his interceptions were horrible throws and he one called back and NE dropped another one. He threw several balls behind his players or at their feet.

That loss can be placed right at the feet of Donovan McNabb and his coach Andy Reid IMO.

I disagree that McNabb "sucked." Along with those 3 picks, he threw 3 TDs, 357 yds, and had a respectable 59% completion percentage. That's not bad, considering the defense that he was facing. How many QBs have actually had good games against NE in the playoffs? Jake Delhomme is the only one that I can think of. Also, Philly couldn't run the ball for crap, which put even more pressure on McNabb (51 passing attempts). If you discount Westbrook's "trick" run at the very end of the first half, he and Levens averaged a laughable 1.53 yds/carry. Outside of his interceptions (one turnover is almost inevitable against NE), McNabb did relatively well, IMO.

I disagree that McNabb "sucked."  Along with those 3 picks, he threw 3 TDs, 357 yds, and had a respectable 59% completion percentage.  That's not bad, considering the defense that he was facing.  How many QBs have actually had good games against NE in the playoffs?  Jake Delhomme is the only one that I can think of.  Also, Philly couldn't run the ball for crap, which put even more pressure on McNabb (51 passing attempts).  If you discount Westbrook's "trick" run at the very end of the first half, he and Levens averaged a laughable 1.53 yds/carry.  Outside of his interceptions (one turnover is almost inevitable against NE), McNabb did relatively well, IMO.

687522[/snapback]

Uh, until the end of the game, where he decided he had all the time in the world to score 10 points, so he should take his time and mkae sure to have a huddle rant, rant, :D:D

I disagree that McNabb "sucked."  Along with those 3 picks, he threw 3 TDs, 357 yds, and had a respectable 59% completion percentage.  That's not bad, considering the defense that he was facing.  How many QBs have actually had good games against NE in the playoffs?  Jake Delhomme is the only one that I can think of.  Also, Philly couldn't run the ball for crap, which put even more pressure on McNabb (51 passing attempts).  If you discount Westbrook's "trick" run at the very end of the first half, he and Levens averaged a laughable 1.53 yds/carry.  Outside of his interceptions (one turnover is almost inevitable against NE), McNabb did relatively well, IMO.

687522[/snapback]

Don't forget the 2 more turnovers that were given back...

Aren't coaches allowed to call timeouts from the sideline now?  Where was Reid?

687531[/snapback]

That's my point, Reid has programmed Mcnabb. Make no mistake McNabb and Reid are 2 peas in a pod.

Props to NE for having McNabb pressured all game long...he never really looked like he settled into the pocket...I kept hoping for ONE scramble to maybe help keep the Def Honest to give him more time in the pocket...I also expected some controlled roll outs :D ...put the blame on Dmac and Andy that is firmly where it belongs...but also give props to the NE Def for causing the pressure(they seemed more like the philly def then the philly def did)

It was impressive to see NE stuff the run so effectively and then, when needed, still be in the right package to pressure McNabb almost everytime he threw the ball.

It was also impressive to see a team play so well in every aspect of the game, Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That last punt in the 4th quarter was executed perfectly. Pinning the Eagles inside the 5 yd line at that time with every thing that was at stake was just impressive. I mean just for the punter to be able to comtrol his adrenaline enough to keep from punting the ball all the way to the endzone was impressive but then as soon as the ball hit the ground there's a player in perfect position to down the ball.

But as well as NE played, and they played very well, Philly managed the last 5 minutes of the game just about as poorly as the last 5 minutes of a game could be managed by a team that was down 10 points with 5 minutes to go in the Super Bowl.

I remember thinking that they were acting like they were the team that was up by 10 points. I was starting to think maybe Martz was coaching the eagles and he had lost track of the score again.

I firmly believe that better clock management by the Eagles in the last 5 minutes may have led to an Eagles win.

Props to NE for having McNabb pressured all game long...he never really looked like he settled into the pocket...I kept hoping for ONE scramble to maybe help keep the Def Honest to give him more time in the pocket...I also expected some controlled roll outs :D ...put the blame on Dmac and Andy that is firmly where it belongs...but also give props to the NE Def for causing the pressure(they seemed more like the philly def then the philly def did)

687593[/snapback]

Seems obvious, but I think this game showed just how vital Seymour is to the Pats d-line. The guy seemed to be in the backfield/McNabb's face all night long. And a honorable mention to Rosey Colvin. I was like, That's why we signed him! (to disrupt everything he gets near; he had a very effective game even if his stats weren't overwhelming on paper). I was surprised Philly didn't throw a few more of those screens to Westbrook...no play scared me more all night than Westbrook catching out of the backfield. :D

Edited by msaint

The Eagles had that one drive where they used Westbrook early and often. I think he had 40 yards combined in that drive that culminated in his TD catch. So why didn't they keep doing that? :D Sure, it's not going to work perfectly all the time, but it sure worked well in that drive.

I disagree that McNabb "sucked."  Along with those 3 picks,

687522[/snapback]

You glossed right over the most important part. 3 picks. And a couple of others that could have been. Turnovers are the biggest part of winning and losing in football.

How many points did the Eagles lose by?

And how many points did they come up with on that drive that when Mcnabb threw that duck to Westbrook and Harrison INT'd it.

Key point in the game when they could have gone up early.........

687522[/snapback]

His 3 TDs and 357 yards pale when you consider HE HAD 3 INTERCEPTIONS. And these interceptions weren't tipped balls ... they were lame ducks thrown up for grabs. It absolutely astounded me when he got that INT called back and then proceeded to throw the same lame duck for an INT on THE VERY NEXT PLAY. The interceptions weren't really even good plays by the NE defense ... the balls were thrown up for grabs or right to NE players. AND it would have been 4 INTs except that a NE player dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands.

Rolling up statistics is meaningless when you turn the ball over ... especially when you turn it over in the red zone. Game was tied 7-7 ... Philly had the chance to take the lead when the worst possible thing happens ... McNabb throws a duck up and it gets intercepted. But wait, they get a reprieve ... defensive penalty ... they get the ball back AND a first down. So what does McNabb do ... throws the exact same duck and this time the interception stands. Even 3 points there would have been huge in this game.

McNabb choked in a bad way and sucked last night. He is a VERY BIG reason that his team lost ... in fact I'd say that McNabb plus Reid = Philly loss ... all other players did their part.

I disagree that McNabb choked. IMO, he played like he always does. Flashes of brilliance, some luck and some frighteningly bad decisions. He's never been a very accurate passer and under pressure will make some lousy throws. I guess he never really got the opportunity to scramble at all last night, but I surely expected him to give it a try. I think it could have opened things up for him a little if he had.

I disagree that McNabb choked. IMO, he played like he always does. Flashes of brilliance, some luck and some frighteningly bad decisions. He's never been a very accurate passer and under pressure will make some lousy throws. I guess he never really got the opportunity to scramble at all last night, but I surely expected him to give it a try. I think it could have opened things up for him a little if he had.

687711[/snapback]

You may have a point ... but my original statement stands ... McNabb McSucked.

And how many points did they come up with on that drive that when Mcnabb threw that duck to Westbrook and Harrison INT'd it. 

687637[/snapback]

The INT thrown to Harrison was especially bad. McNabb locked on to his receiver, Harrison read it all the way and McNabb just lobbed it right to him.

687711[/snapback]

That sums up exactly what McNabb is as a QB.

Yea his stats were good without those 3 picks but the point is that he threw them.

lets see now, his first pick was in the red zone in the first quarter and the second one was on the NE 36 yard line in the 4th quarter which just about would put them in the range for a field goal. If those two mistakes were not made by McNabb it totally changes the game and the Eagles win.

Without the picks McNabb was great.

It was impressive to see NE stuff the run so effectively and then, when needed, still be in the right package to pressure McNabb almost everytime he threw the ball.

It was also impressive to see a team play so well in every aspect of the game, Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That last punt in the 4th quarter was executed perfectly. Pinning the Eagles inside the 5 yd line at that time with every thing that was at stake was just impressive. I mean just for the punter to be able to comtrol his adrenaline enough to keep from punting the ball all the way to the endzone was impressive but then as soon as the ball hit the ground there's a player in perfect position to down the ball.

But as well as NE played, and they played very well, Philly managed the last 5 minutes of the game just about as poorly as the last 5 minutes of a game could be managed by a team that was down 10 points with 5 minutes to go in the Super Bowl.

I remember thinking that they were acting like they were the team that was up by 10 points. I was starting to think maybe Martz was coaching the eagles and he had lost track of the score again.

I firmly believe that better clock management by the Eagles in the last 5 minutes may have led to an Eagles win.

687619[/snapback]

I think it would have prolonged the game, not the outcome of the game.

You can all have your theories about McNabb being a horrible QB, blah, blah, blah. And, I am not gonna jump on somebody's jock strap after they threw 3 INTs in the SuperBowl, and called everyone into a huddle down by 10 and the clock dripping away, running on 3 minutes. But, nobody here is giving credit to the Patsies, and that's where the credit/blame lies.

The run game was netting absolutely nothing. Zero. Bupkus.

How many freaking passing attempts did McNabb have? 51.

The Defense had McNabb under pressure way too much, and he was obviously trying hard (too hard) to give the Eagles a chance. But remember, this is the same Defense that made Peyton look like a frightened schoolgirl, right on the heels of his record-breaking season. These guys are no slouches-- they play disciplined schemes, put pressure on the QB, and everyone fills their assignments. He still managed 30 completions and 3 TD's, and we still had a shot at the end of the game when poor clock management cost us the game.

Some things I thought were mistakes on the Birds part:

1)Having a bunch of second-string Defenders on the field in the 3rd Quarter, when Dillon was obviously gouging us with the run.

2)Lack of screen plays called on Offense. They worked when they were called. I thought for sure, with the amount of passing that we were doing, and the way the Pats were folding back their ears and charging upfield, that we would see a lot more screens called in the 2nd Half. I think this was a missed adjustment on Reid's/Childress' shoulders. :D

3) Time Management in the 4th Quarter. This was just too painful and gut-wrenching to watch. I have no idea what McNabb or Reid or anyone on the team was thinking-- just horrible. Piss poor execution.

My hat is off to the Pats. They did not play anywhere near a perfect game yesterday, and still got it done. I am proud of the way the Eagles played them for most of the game, aside from the couple of things mentioned above-- I am not about to hang my head over a tough loss to a great opponent. Just saddle up and wait for next year.

Without the picks McNabb was great.

687902[/snapback]

Pinkston pulled down an amazing catch that was a long pass, TO caught a few balls that he took for big yacs. Those 3 plays gave McNabb's numbers a huge boost. McNabb throws up ducks all the time and a bunch more into the ground. I think it's time for McNabb to get back to the fundamentals on how to throw a football. While that TD pass to Westbrook looked great, it was a pass that should never have been thrown. I was so surprised after seeing the replay that the ball even fit in between the 2 Pats players.