[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just a question

SLAYER

repeat without Weiss and Crennel?

I realize almost there whole team will be back, but with a new OC( if not promoted from within) they will have to learn a new system. Doubt they will find one that runs the exact system.

The DC maybe DB coach Mangini, but Crennel has offered him th DC job in Cleve.

Does anybody see this as a possible problem for them next year. :D

repeat without Weiss and Crennel?

I realize almost there whole team will be back, but with a new OC( if not promoted from within) they will have to learn a new system. Doubt they will find one that runs the exact system.

The DC maybe DB coach Mangini, but Crennel has offered him th DC job in Cleve.

Does anybody see this as a possible problem for them next year. :D

689159[/snapback]

Too early to tell....have to see how FA and the Draft shake out

This is from a piece in the Boston Herald:

Crennel's representatives have received calls from more than a dozen assistant coaches looking for work. Mangini was not one of them.

My thinking is that Belichick has been lobbying for Crennel to get a HC job, and if Crennel knows that Mangini is Belichick's 1st choice, you don't thank a guy by stealing his 1st choice. Just my opinion.

Mangini reportedly turned down opportunities to discuss DC positions last year because there was an understanding that he was being groomed for the Pats DC position. :D I'm sure he'll be heavily courted.

Edit to add that I don't really know if they can keep going where they left off from. But honestly, even if they didn't lose both coordinators you don't know, since the other teams in the league are also changing and hoping to improve. If the Colts could get their early season acts together, they could end up with homefield advantage in the playoffs. It's the leg up they need to get to the SB.

Any new DC/OC combo they go with is going to change things. Who doesn't get a coaching job at that level with the sort of ego that says, "I don't need to change a thing or put my own mark on things?"

Edited by Czarina

The DC maybe DB coach Mangini, but Crennel has offered him th DC job in Cleve....

689159[/snapback]

So Mangini has the choice of following Crennel to a bad Cleveland team with a new HC (with no HC experience) or stay with the defending world champs and Belichick??? Tough call......

So Mangini has the choice of following Crennel to a bad Cleveland team with a new HC (with no HC experience) or stay with the defending world champs and Belichick???  Tough call......

689817[/snapback]

The only temptation is that Cleveland will give him more dough than New England.

I think he'll stay.

Why do you assume NE won't pay as much? Coaches aren't part of the cap. :D

689851[/snapback]

I've read and heard that Cleveland has offered more money than New England is likely to pay. I have no special knowledge as to whether that's true of not.

Regardless of money, I think Mangini stays in New England.

Edit to add: I do know that the Jets wanted to interview Mangini last year for their DC job, and I thought the Pats wouldn't grant him permission. I found this strange, because I thought for a promotion, the team had to let assistant coached interview with other teams. Luckily for the Jets, Donnie Henderson turned out to be a great DC.

Does anyone know the actual rules regarding teams allowing coaches to interview with other teams?

Edited by Vet

I don't see Pats winning 14 games again, but I don't think the drop-off will be huge.

I'm also more concerned about the loss of Weis than RAC. Beli was a leading DC for eons - I think you could plug in just about anyone there and they'd be fine. Losing Weis could result in a brand new offensive scheme - while I wasn't a huge fan of Weis' play calling, it worked and it's what the Pats know. If they have to adjust to a new style of play, it might take them a while.

Why do you assume NE won't pay as much? Coaches aren't part of the cap. :D

689851[/snapback]

I think that the general thought around the league was the Crennel and Weis were very underpaid.

That leaves many people to believe that NE isn't going to pay $1M Plus to coordinators like some teams have been doing.

Will they step it up? I think they have to.

I've heard they may very well look inside for a defensive and offensive coorinator. It was mentioned the Pats like to try to keep things consistent. Also, the leading internal candidate was mentioned because he works closely with Brady and of course, you don't want to upset that chemistry.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the Pats can maintain focus with these changes. My bet is they will.

This is from a piece in the Boston Herald:

My thinking is that Belichick has been lobbying for Crennel to get a HC job, and if Crennel knows that Mangini is Belichick's 1st choice, you don't thank a guy by stealing his 1st choice.  Just my opinion.

689273[/snapback]

BS the loyalty stops as soon as he takes on the CLEV job and if he could have a DEF COORD he thinks is the best avail and just lets NE keep him cause Bill helped him get a job then he aint doing that job very well

BS the loyalty stops as soon as he takes on the CLEV job and if he could have a DEF COORD he thinks is the best avail and just lets NE keep him cause Bill helped him get a job then he aint doing that job very well

689910[/snapback]

Actually, I don't think that's the way it works in real life.

Crennel will probably need another job someday and he knows it. So, he's not going to burn any bridges.

I think that the general thought around the league was the Crennel and Weis were very underpaid.

That leaves many people to believe that NE isn't going to pay $1M Plus to coordinators like some teams have been doing.

Will they step it up?  I think they have to.

689875[/snapback]

Why would they 'have to' pay more for coordinators? :D

Not sure if they 'were very underpaid' by league standards or not, but that only refers to salary anyway. What is the opportunity to gain a few rings and a long-term, multi-million dollar head coaching deal, worth? :D

The fastest way to that big payday goes right through Foxboro and any young aspiring HC knows it. They will take less money to come to a winning organization because of the long-term benefits. NE will probably pay less for new coaches, not more. It is the same with players. They come here, and stay here, for less money because of the other benefits. :D

The beauty of it is that is exactly the kind of players and coaches NE wants. They want and get the 'we' kind, not the 'me' kind. It is a brilliant strategy and permeates the whole organization. B)

I think the true genius of a head coach is the ability to evaluate talent and potential, not only in players but in his staff as well. IMO head coaches get an awful lot of credit for the hard work and dedication of their staffs. I think we will see just how important Weiss and Crennel were to New England's success.

689910[/snapback]

A writer on one of those local TV sports show last night said he asked someone in the Browns organization if they were going to try to hire Mangini.

The answer he received was "if he becomes available, they will make a run at him."

Given the fact that Mangini is no longer under contract, he is available, which leads the writer to believe that Crennel is giving the Patriots the opportunity to sign him. If the Pats can't come to an agreement, Cleveland will make a move.

That is loyalty, again, as someone else stated, if Crennel doesn't work out in Cleveland, he might want to come back to work for Belichick, so you can't burn those bridges.

Why would they 'have to' pay more for coordinators? :D

689961[/snapback]

Just that if they want to keep Mangini, for instance, if the Pats offer him $500K, which is approx what Crennel and Weis made, and Cleveland offers him $1.25M, they might lose him.

So, when Crennel and Saban put together their staff, they might be taking some lower level assistants on the Pats. So not only do you lose your 2 coordinators, but you lose some positional coaches as well. To keep the folks they want to keep, the Pats might have to open their purses more than they have in the past to keep assistants.

Edited by Patsfan04