[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts vs Pats

Patsfan04

I had the below post in the Vandergagt thread:

Enough with the talk and stat comparison, Pats fans think the Pats will win, Indy and neutral fans think the Colts will win.

Wouldn't it be ironic that the Colts ended their 2003 season in Foxboro, opended their 2004 schedule with a loss in Foxboro, and ended their 2004 season in Foxboro?

Does something like this happen often?  With the Colts on the Patriots home schedule next year, would the NFL be cruel enought to subject the Colts to another World Champion banner unveiling on opening night? (if it all plays out as hoped)

649906[/snapback]

The NFL changes year to year, but at 1st glance, the Pats have a pretty tough schedule.

Home...........Away

MIA..............MIA

BUF..............BUF

NYJ...............NYJ

OAK..............DEN

SD................KC

NO................ATL

TB................CAR

IND..............PIT

The NFL seems to be committed to this Thursday night opening game at the SB Champion, and the marquee home game seems to be Indy.

So is the NFL cruel enough to have Indy present for another championship banner?

I would think it would be Pittsburgh.  That seems to be the trend...

689390[/snapback]

Opening weekend this past year, I read an article where the NFL was trying to link the Superbowl winner (neutral site) and opening night/weekend. I could have sworn I read that they want the Superbowl winner to kickoff opening weekend on Thursday night at home.

It was a pretty big production with Toby Keith, Elton John, Destiny's Child, Lenny Kravitz, unveiling of the Championship Banner, etc.

Again, based on what I read last September, the Patriots will be hosting that opening Thursday night game this September. They play @ Pittsburgh. They host Indy, so that is my guess.

Edited by Patsfan04

Where do you get that listing showing who each teams plays next year?

689401[/snapback]

I got mine at patriots.com.

Your team might have something similar.

Otherwise, someone here sent a link out a few months ago where you can pick any team, maybe Big John linked it?

My apologies to the folks that are sick of the Patriots, but the Patriots will be hosting the Thursday night game NFL opening weekend.

This is based on the following text in this NFL.COM article.

The game at Gillette Stadium and the link to Jacksonville on "NFL Opening Kickoff" starts a tradition of holding the NFL's season-opening event at the home of the Super Bowl champion and connecting it to the site of the next Super Bowl.

Home

MIA

BUF

NYJ

OAK

SD

NO

TB

IND

Which above team will the NFL pick? My guess is Indy.

Which brings me back to my original point.......

Indy finished the 2003 season with a LOSS at New England

Indy opened the 2004 season and closed their 2004 season with a LOSS at NE.

Will the NFL be cruel enough to have Indy watch another Championship banner raising celebration at NE on opening night?

Consider that NE and Indy could both be in the running for the playoffs, and Indy's problems at NE, it just seems like bad luck as far as scheduling for Indy.

The only time they've had the reigning champ open the season was last year. I doubt they'd do it again. It's like a moving party to kick off the season. I agree with the earlier thought that they'd want to move the experience around.

My apologies to the folks that are sick of the Patriots, but the Patriots will be hosting the Thursday night game NFL opening weekend.

This is based on the following text in this NFL.COM article.

Home

MIA

BUF

NYJ

OAK

SD

NO

TB

IND

Which above team will the NFL pick?  My guess is Indy.

Which brings me back to my original point.......

Indy finished the 2003 season with a LOSS at New England

Indy opened the 2004 season and closed their 2004 season with a LOSS at NE.

Will the NFL be cruel enough to have Indy watch another Championship banner raising celebration at NE on opening night?

Consider that NE and Indy could both be in the running for the playoffs, and Indy's problems at NE, it just seems like bad luck as far as scheduling for Indy.

689768[/snapback]

My guess will be either SD or NYJ. As much as Indy vs NE would be a great matchup again, my guess is that the NFL will want to attempt to showcase a different playoff team in the spotlight. No reasoning to back this up, JMHO.

The only time they've had the reigning champ open the season was last year.  I doubt they'd do it again.  It's like a moving party to kick off the season.  I agree with the earlier thought that they'd want to move the experience around.

689772[/snapback]

Yes, that was the only time, but in the announcement for that time, the NFL states that the September 2004 game....."starts a tradition of holding the NFL's season-opening event at the home of the Super Bowl champion and connecting it to the site of the next Super Bowl"

This means that the Patriots will be hosting this game.

Yes, that was the only time, but in the announcement for that time, the NFL states that the September 2004 game....."starts a tradition of holding the NFL's season-opening event at the home of the Super Bowl champion and connecting it to the site of the next Super Bowl"

This means that the Patriots will be hosting this game.

689787[/snapback]

Interesting. I didn't realize that they were trying to start that tradition.

I hope it's not the Jets. San Diego would be a good matchup. It would also allow the Chargers to have 10 days to prepare for their week 2 opponent after having traveled cross country and back. I bet that's what they do.

I bet they drag out Aretha Franklin and dust her off as part of the musical attraction in Detroit - if she's still alive.

My guess would be SD. No one expected much of them this year so I don't think they had any any prime time games during the season (I could be wrong). They had a great year and will get a couple shots at MNF this year. Why not let them start the season out that way. They have to play the Pats at some point.