[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charging for Autographs

DMD

Is it okay for a player to charge for an autograph?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for a player to charge for an autograph?

• Yes - free market, don't pay if you don't want it
    • No - Millionaires just being greedier and unfair to kids

Is it okay for a player to charge for their autograph?

I have a few signed memorabilia items that I bought which naturally cost money, but for live situations - should an NFL player charge money to get their autograph? At some card shows, etc., I know some players will charge up to $50 for their signature on something and a lot of people pay. I personally have never paid for an autograph in the presence of the person and I probably never would, but what do you think?

Apparently, I'm the only yes voter. People should be free to do whatever they want. However, I think the ones that charge are greedy a$$holes. Don't forget, many people buy autographs just to sell them for a profit. Even bigger losers. Why do people care about autographs anyway? I'd rather have my picture taken with them.

When I was a kid, autographs meant something. They had value, and I'm not talking about the monetary aspect. You went to the park early, and prayed you could catch your favorite player to sign something for you. It was something that had value, something you would cherish.

In large part, the fans and collectors (dealers, as in used cars) who are in it for monetary gains ruined that innocent part of being a fan, especially for the yougsters.

I frankly, have little respect for sports figures who will only sign for cash. Sure, it's part of the buisness world they are so stuck on, but I can give a guy a break on it, if he still signs during batting practice, for free, that sort of thing. I've read stories about BB players who choose and pick who they will sign for..... if they think it's a collector, or worse, the son (call em mules here) of a collector they won't sign.

I have several "signatures" that might be worth money on EBay, but I havent bothered to even try to get one for over 20 years. Once it became all about the money, it meant nothing anymore. To me, at least.

With the money they make already, I think they should charge for a signature only when the proceeds go to a worthy charity. I guess i'm just an old school fossil. But, that is my take on it.

As much as I hate it, I voted yes. I don't really blame the players as much as the people who get them for profit. There is so much of that going on that I can see the players point. Why should some autograph dealer may tons of cash off of the player without paying for it? Unfortunately, the by-product of this is that people who really want the autograph just for their collection suffer.

That being said, the few times I happened to cross paths with a local sports celebrity (Alan Trammell in a restaurant, Barry Sanders and Charles Barkley at the airport), I was happy just to say hi. I don't want an autograph.

I have a few signed memorabilia items that I bought which naturally cost money, but for live situations - should an NFL player charge money to get their autograph? At some card shows, etc., I know some players will charge up to $50 for their signature on something and a lot of people pay. I personally have never paid for an autograph in the presence of the person and I probably never would, but what do you think?

695671[/snapback]

Hmmm, I find that really interesting. You'll pay for a signed item that you have no real guarantee is authentic (I'm sure I can affix a hologram and print up a "letter of authenticity" as well as the next guy), but you won't pay for an item which is being signed right in front of you, thus guaranteeing its authenticity? For some reason, I find that odd.

And the most I've paid is $30 for Emmitt Smith's autograph back in '94.

As much as I hate it, I voted yes.  I don't really blame the players as much as the people who get them for profit.  There is so much of that going on that I can see the players point.  Why should some autograph dealer may tons of cash off of the player without paying for it?  Unfortunately, the by-product of this is that people who really want the autograph just for their collection suffer.

695777[/snapback]

Agree 100%

When I was a kid, autographs meant something. They had value, and I'm not talking about the monetary aspect. You went to the park early, and prayed you could catch your favorite player to sign something for you.  It was something that had value, something you would cherish.

In large part, the fans and collectors (dealers, as in used cars) who are in it for monetary gains ruined that innocent part of being a fan, especially for the yougsters.

I frankly, have little respect for sports figures who will only sign for cash. Sure, it's part of the buisness world they are so stuck on, but I can give a guy a break on it, if he still signs during batting practice, for free, that sort of thing. I've read stories about BB players who choose and pick who they will sign for..... if they think it's a collector, or worse, the son (call em mules here) of a collector they won't sign.

I have several "signatures" that might be worth money on EBay, but I havent bothered to even try to get one for over 20 years. Once it became all about the money, it meant nothing anymore. To me, at least.

With the money they make already, I think they should charge for a signature only  when the proceeds go to a worthy charity. I guess i'm just an old school fossil. But, that is my take on it.

695768[/snapback]

I agree with you. I have many items that are probably worth thousands. I even have a world series ring given to me by a player that passed away some time ago. As a kid I had access to many major league BB players and some football. My father played AAA with a lot of pro guys. Some of the things I have as I've said are worth big dollars but, I would never sell any of them. They mean something to me and when I die they go to the kids. What they do with them is their business. But I'm against charging for Auto's just for the sake of the kids. If the guy is at a card show, giving an autograph to a kid isn't that big a deal for him.

I voted yes. How many people take the autograhs and turn a profit on them my selling them? How many people use kids to get free autographs now, and how many more would do so if athletes were prohibited from charging kids for them? Sure, I'd like to see them be nice guys and sign for free, but they should not be required to do so, just as none of us are required to provide any goods and services to kids for free just because we have enough money to do so. If you don't want to pay for the autograph, then don't.

40 years ago these guys were makin' $80K per max and lovin' it. Now they're makin' $20 mil and complainin'. :D

Should they be able to sell their sigs......YES!

Am I an idiot if I buy them....YES!

Nuff said!

If a professional athlete ever disappointed my son by not giving him an autograph because my son didn't have enough money, I would be very outspoken about my opinion on the matter. Until then, I'll just quietly think a lot less of the guys that charge than the guys that don't.

If you charge someone who wants an autograph because you're their role model, you're a schlep, unless you're Donald Trump -- and then you're probably making them even more inspired by charging them.

If you charge someone who wants an autograph to sell to someone else, then its just a normal cost of doing business.

695671[/snapback]

In buying the memorabilia from a dealer rather than a player, you are paying the dealer who has paid the player...or received it free. Of course, the dealer should be deemed very reputable in the business or else you are buying junk that his family has probably helped him "authentically" sign them.

I would have to vote yes on this, because as long as there is demand, it is going to happen. How do you stop this? It is a fundamental freedom we have for the player to decide to sell his/her own autograph as well as ours to buy it.

I would certainly hope that given a situation where a child who is really a fan of the player asks for an autograph (by being at the game, just happened to run into the person, whatever) would get an autograph. If a player stiffs a kid because he only charges, then that would suck.

Dealers also use kids to get autographs they know they cannot get themselves at golf tournaments, shows, etc. Some athletes enter a contract with companies where they cannot sign for the general public for free (which all revolves around profit for the player and company, obviously).

The level of pricing also does limit the opportunity for a real fan to get an autograph they would like to have, which is also bad. But, sometimes, that is what a player wants. "Hell, I don't want to do autographs, but if people are willing to pay for it, I'll charge a price that will limit the amount of autographs I do and put the money in my pocket."

So I'll just park myself in the "Yes" column and decide whether I do, or do not, want to pay for it. I tend to be more willing if the price is right for me and the dollars for the autographs are going toward a worthy cause.

If a professional athlete ever disappointed my son by not giving him an autograph because my son didn't have enough money, I would be very outspoken about my opinion on the matter.  Until then, I'll just quietly think a lot less of the guys that charge than the guys that don't.

696270[/snapback]

Absolutely. It's always seemed pretty bush league to me...

Personally, I would never pay for an autograph, but if people are stupid enough to pay for them, then the player should be able to charge for them. Free enterprise at work. Separating the suckers from their money.

I reluctantly voted that it's ok for players to charge.  The value of merchandise or football cards increase significantly when players sign them.  Otherwise it wouldn't be any better than having the Gilligan crew not getting paid for syndicated reruns.

696602[/snapback]

Actually, I think the value of a card goes down when it's signed. My son was pretty big with that card stuff when he was younger and found that the cards he had signed were significantly depreciated by marking the card up with the signature. The balls and helmets however do go up because of the auto.

I wouldn't pay for and autograph from ANYONE.

If the bassturds are charging, they should also be providing a "certificate of authenticity" with the signature.

In the collector world, an autogragh without this is just a stain on the paper! :D