[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bledsoe out in Buffalo

the_lung

Bledsoe out in Buffalo, will be released

By Bill Burt

Staff Writer

What was supposed to be a storybook career in Buffalo has instead ended in a thud for former Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

According to a source in Bills management, Bledsoe was informed last week that he was out as the starting quarterback for 2005. General manager Terry Donahoe told Bledsoe that J.P. Losman, who will enter his second season in the fall, would be the No. 1 quarterback.

Bledsoe was offered the opportunity to remain with the team as a backup, which would have meant forgoing a $1 million bonus in March and cutting his salary from $3.3 million to about $1.5 million.

Bledsoe refused the request, saying he wanted to be a starter. He asked the Bills to cut him soon and allow him to become a free agent. The Bills said they would honor his request and probably release him in the next two weeks.

It's a far cry from the red-carpet treatment Bledsoe received soon after the trade with the Patriots was finalized just before the 2002 NFL Draft. The Bills expected big things from Bledsoe's leadership, but it never transpired. The Bills were only 23-25 under the former No. 1 overall draft choice with no playoff appearances.

Apparently the last straw for Bills management was the final regular-season game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, a game the Bills needed to win to make the playoffs. Going against Steelers backups for most of the day, Bledsoe turned in an uninspired performance (16 for 30, 189 yards, 1 INT) and was sacked three times. On one of the sacks Bledsoe was blind-sided before fumbling the ball, which was returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Before the loss to Pittsburgh, the Bills had won six straight games, but it wasn't enough to save Bledsoe's job.

As for Bledsoe's next stop, the obvious choice is the Dallas Cowboys with head coach Bill Parcells. Parcells does not have a starting quarterback he is comfortable with in Drew Henson or Vinny Testaverde.

The Patriots will go down as the big winners in the trading of Bledsoe to the Bills. New England received a 2004 first-round pick, selecting defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, a key performer for the Patriots during their recent Super Bowl run.

Edited by the_lung

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the story regarding possible destinations suggests, the Bledsoe / Parcells connection will probably come into play via Bill's own private hotline.......1 800 QB.

Also I consulted with Madame Cleo who further solidified the Bledsoe / Cowboys connection. After referring to her Astrological Maps and Charts, rolling some bones and walking back wards three times around a Pentagram, all the while chanting Eosdelb (Bledsoe back wards), she told me that she saw a Star in Bledsoe's future.

Can't argue with Madame Cleo now, can we! :D

:bigshock: Holy shlt!!! :bigshock:

699121[/snapback]

Perhaps he is referring to the avatar?  :D

699141[/snapback]

...which has now been gunned!!! :D

I can't imagine he'll be out of a job for too long.

Dallas

Detroit

Chicago

Arizona

Cleveland

Miami

San Francisco

...at least could all use a QB as a potential starter/solid back-up, and also maybe Washington or even Seattle (isn't Hasselbeck a free agent?).

No way.  The Cowboys might be interested though.

699528[/snapback]

Rumor has it, the Cowboys had a deal already worked out a deal with Bledsoe in January, so from where I sit, its a foregone conclusion he will be in Dallas.

At our league awards banquet, a member cited the source but I can't remember it off-hand. I will try and get more details, as I know everyone likes to consider the source.

For what its worth, you can mark it down IMO.

It was an expected move, Buffalo wants to get on the Losman train.

And he'll but just fine, regardless how he played in his limited role this year..

Parcells likes Bledsoe, and he is an upgrade from Vinnie.

I think that's why Parcells hasn't re-signed Vinnie yet, cause

he knew Buffalo would be cutting Bledsoe.

Press Conference Today

Edit: to fix link

Edited by Piranha

In my opinion Bledsoe is an upgrade of Testaverde.

699935[/snapback]

Dallas can have Bloodstone. Washington does not need another washed up, overpriced QB backing up Ramsey.

Maybe SF gets into the mix here. They need a QB badley and need something to get some excitement back into that franchise. I think Garcia will probably go back to be with Mariucci in Detroit.