[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks sign Walter Jones!

Bonehand

We still don't have a President, but something's getting done in Kirkland...

"FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL. "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3400460

Edited by Bonehand

Pre-season just won't be the same without the annual holdout.

Wonder if he realized that he has to show up for training camp now?

700099[/snapback]

No doubt! That's kind of a big deal actually. Holmgren has been complaining for years that they've wanted to groom Pork Chop Womack as 'Hawks right guard of the future, but Jones holdouts have forced 'Chop to play in place of Jones in camp, thus limiting Womack's long term development at guard. Signing Jones is huge in terms of solidifying the line for the future.

My guess, Hasselbeck signs, Alexander is Franchised and traded.

700346[/snapback]

Well, I agree, signing jones pretty much ensures Alexander will be franchised, but I don't think the Hawks trade him.

IMO, this guarantees he will toting the rock for Seattle next season.

Well, I agree, signing jones pretty much ensures Alexander will be franchised, but I don't think the Hawks trade him.

IMO, this guarantees he will toting the rock for Seattle next season.

700395[/snapback]

Although Shaun doesn't seem to be the hardest runner, he is too talented to not keep. I think Hasselback signs and Alexander is slapped with the franchise and runs the ball. It's tough to get fair value for trades. What did Cincy get for Dillon last year?

Although Shaun doesn't seem to be the hardest runner, he is too talented to not keep.  I think Hasselback signs and Alexander is slapped with the franchise and runs the ball.  It's tough to get fair value for trades.  What did Cincy get for Dillon last year?

700410[/snapback]

Dillon was, supposedly, washed up... past his prime. Alexander is in his. Not saying that is immpossible for Alexander to wind up back in Seattle. Just don't get the feeling it is likely based on the way he has acted. Be more than happy to be wrong and see him riunning the ball here next season.

Dillon was, supposedly, washed up... past his prime.  Alexander is in his.  Not saying that is immpossible for Alexander to wind up back in Seattle.  Just don't get the feeling it is likely based on the way he has acted.  Be more than happy to be wrong and see him riunning the ball here next season.

700449[/snapback]

I also heard that a player has never been franchised and then trades. So it may be unlikely they do this. Wouldn't you be trading for a one-year contract?

Soooo, who is going to run the ball behind the great offensive line if Alexander is gone? I think the Seahawks do not appreciate how much Shaun means to that team. Especially in the red zone, and particularly inside the 5 yard line.

Edited by CaptainHook

Wasn't Champ franchised and then traded last year?

700482[/snapback]

Yes. Redskins gave up Champ and second round draft pick for Portis.

February 23, 2004

Blockbuster Deal in the Works?

Monday's Denver Post indicates a blockbuster trade is in the works between the Washington Redskins and the Denver Broncos. The Redskins have been looking to deal recently-franchised cornerback Champ Bailey for some time now, and it looks as if they may be able to do just that and fill their hole at running back with one move.

According to the report, the Broncos would send Clinton Portis, one of the league's premier young backs, in exchange for Bailey. Apparently, the only hitch in the deal at this time involves a draft pick, believed to be a second-rounder, that Denver would like thrown into the trade.

Soooo, who is going to run the ball behind the great offensive line if Alexander is gone?  I think the Seahawks do not appreciate how much Shaun means to that team.  Especially in the red zone, and particularly inside the 5 yard line.

701264[/snapback]

I think the Seahawks fully appreciate Alexander and would love to have him back. I just don't think Alexander wants to be back... to the point he may cause problems if forced to stay. Again I really hope I am wrong about that, but its the impression I am getting.

It would be hilarious if they had their OL intact for once at the beginning of the season but had no running back for it to matter.

701379[/snapback]

As the Broncos have shown over the years, a good line can MAKE a good running back. Even if Alexander is gone there's no reason to think they can't get 1200 yards from some combination of players (Morris, Carter, a draft pick, etc)

While there is no argument that Alexander is a talented back, he has his limitations. The fact that he is unable to pass block (it's unclear whether this is because he is unwilling or just sucks at it, but the result is the same) forces the 'Hawks to take SA out on 3rd downs, just the time when you would want the option of having your feature back available to catch passes out of the backfield.

As it is, he can't even be used as a decoy.

Franchising SA is the right move IMO. If he stays, great, you have him playing for a contract for another year. If he gets traded, the Hawk's get a first round pick, & that's fine too.