[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players and longterm deals

phenom

Is there some reason why players push for longterm deals? I don't understand why players push for anything over 4 years unless you are in Peyton Manning/Michael Vick territory.

Contracts are not guranteed. But guys are negotiating for longterm deals. Why? They can still get cut before their roster bonus kicks in or contract incentive is reached.

Why not negotiate for more guranteed money upfront and worry less about the length?...........

Is there some reason why players push for longterm deals?  I don't understand why players push for anything over 4 years unless you are in Peyton Manning/Michael Vick territory.

Contracts are not guranteed.  But guys are negotiating for longterm deals.  Why?  They can still get cut before their roster bonus kicks in or contract incentive is reached.

Why not negotiate for more guranteed money upfront and worry less about the length?...........

700409[/snapback]

I think that's what players are starting to do. They are asking for more of

'signing bonus' since that seems to be the only real guaranteed money from

any contract.

My guess is that most players that sign those kinds of contracts don't

expect to play poorly, or be cut, at the time that they sign.

Just simply 'hoping for the best' - IMO

I think that most players want to stay with one team throughout their career,

as opposed to jumping teams every other year trying to hold on to a job.

Thus, the long-term contract.

Edited by Piranha

Is there some reason why players push for longterm deals?  I don't understand why players push for anything over 4 years unless you are in Peyton Manning/Michael Vick territory.

Contracts are not guranteed.  But guys are negotiating for longterm deals.  Why?  They can still get cut before their roster bonus kicks in or contract incentive is reached.

700409[/snapback]

this is strictly salary cap related...the longer the deals, the higher the signing bonus...because that bonus can be spread out the length of the contract, which lowers the cap hit...

so by negotiating longer deals, they get 'more guarenteed money upfront'... :D

this is strictly salary cap related...the longer the deals, the higher the signing bonus...because that bonus can be spread out the length of the contract, which lowers the cap hit...

so by negotiating longer deals, they get 'more guarenteed money upfront'... :D

700856[/snapback]

Yeah I see how the team is benefitted by negotiating a longterm contract to spread out the signing bonus.

But this question is really brought on because of Jeff Garcia's release. He signed a 4 year 25 million dollar contract.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerProfile.cfm/pid.1239

Contract Details

Garcia signed a four-year deal with Cleveland in March 2004. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the deal is actually a two-year, $10 million contract, as either side could void the final two years of the agreement. Garcia received a $5 million signing bonus and will earn a $500,000 salary in 2004 and $4.5 million in 2005. The remaining two years, worth another $15 million in bonuses and salaries, can be voided by either party.

So even though his signing bonus was 5 million and his salary was 500,000 last year. So now his signing bonus shouldn't be prorated over the next 3 years but applied to the 2004 year.

Now the contract said Garcia or the Browns could have voided the final 2 years of the contract but they didn't even make it that far. He was let go after 1 year. So Garcia only got 5.5 million (funny that I say only, I'll never see that much money in my lifetime) and lost out on the other 19.5 million.

So he negotiated for 4 years but none of that money is guranteed unless the team keeps bringing you back year after year..............