[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees gets the franchise tag

DMD

from the AP

SportsTicker

SAN DIEGO - Last April, the San Diego Chargers were willing to give away Drew Brees for a fourth-round pick. Now they are about to name him their franchise player.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith is expected to announce at a 6 p.m. EST news conference that the team will slap a franchise tag on Brees, giving the Pro Bowl quarterback a salary of $8.078 million in 2005 - the average of the top five players at his position.

Brees won the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award after passing for 3,159 yards and 27 touchdowns. He led the Chargers to a 12-4 record and the AFC West title this past season.

A second-round pick in 2001, Brees started 27 games over his first three years with San Diego and threw for 29 touchdowns with 31 interceptions.

Those numbers convinced Smith to make a change at quarterback. With the first pick in the 2004 draft, Smith selected Eli Manning, who told the Chargers he did not want to play for them. Smith then traded Manning to the New York Giants in a deal for quarterback Philip Rivers, the fourth overall pick in the draft, and attempted to trade Brees.

However, Rivers was a holdout for most of training camp before signing a six-year contract worth at least $40 million. That holdout enabled Brees to keep his starting job and he took full advantage, recording a quarterback rating of 104.8 - second only to Peyton Manning of Indianapolis in the AFC - and earning a Pro Bowl selection.

The 26-year-old Brees would be a hot commodity as an unrestricted free agent. By placing the franchise tag on Brees, the Chargers would receive two first-round picks as compensation if they elect not to match any offer he would command.

Good for him, seems like a good dude...  Maybe now he can afford to have that thing on his face removed. :D

702090[/snapback]

You kidding? First of all, that would be major surgery and leave a scar comparable to what he has now.

Second of all, during the playoff madness here in San Diego, people were wearing a thing called the "Brees-a-moley" on their faces. Drew was supportive of the whole thing and the proceeds went to a charity.

this is interseting. Not the mole.... but he has had ONE good year as an NFL QB. Garcia had several, but how good is he now? Add Bledsoe, and a ton of others to that list. I certainly give the guy credit for having a great year, but one year does not a franchise QB make. I think like Garcia, he is an ok QB when on an ok team. When SD was pitiful, so was Brees. Just like Garcia this year, on a bad team.

I think Rivers is the future, but Ive been wrong lots of other times too. On the other hand, Ive been right more often than wrong. Time will tell.

this is interseting. Not the mole.... but he has had ONE good year as an NFL QB. Garcia had several, but how good is he now? Add Bledsoe, and a ton of others to that list. I certainly give the guy credit for having a great year, but one year does not a franchise QB make. I think like Garcia, he is an ok QB when on an ok team. When SD was pitiful, so was Brees. Just like Garcia this year, on a bad team.

I think Rivers is the future, but Ive been wrong lots of other times too. On the other hand, Ive been right more often than wrong. Time will tell.

702419[/snapback]

He did pretty good with the passing game. Ya I know he has LT to take the pressure off and a great TE but, he aslo got the ball to his WR's and there are some other QB's in the league touted as being "the next best thing to..." that can't seem to find anyone in the passing game. He did great, and yes the people around a QB does influence his play.

702419[/snapback]

The positive is that he is still young, and we all know it takes a little time for QB's to really develop. Still a ton of money to have at your QB position, but San Diego was stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

The positive is that he is still young, and we all know it takes a little time for QB's to really develop.  Still a ton of money to have at your QB position, but San Diego was stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

702698[/snapback]

Yeah, it was about all they could do ...

What's interesting is that this is a 'non exclusive' franchise tag, which means that he can still negotiate with other teams. SD can then match or recieve 2 first round draft picks for Brees. Depending on what team would be going after him (i.e. where the picks are) I might let him walk for 2 #1s.

Yea, I didnt realise it was the non-exclusive tag they slapped on him. That would be a convenient way out of this pickle for SD. Someone picks him up, they dont match the offer, and get a couple first round picks in the deal. They could also deal Rivers at some point, too.

Any chance that Miami makes a run for Rivers?  What would it take?

703087[/snapback]

Their 1st rounder for starters, I don't think Miami would be willing to give that. San Diego could also use a DE but Miami doesn't have one of that caliber to spare. In fact I can't think of much Miami has that San Diego would want past that 1.2 pick. It could be a possibility but I think Miami needs a RB much worse.

ESPN said: His agent got permission to shop offers from other teams. I'd trade him even for a number one. If he does get traded, does the trading team have to pay him the franchise amount? And the Chargers possibly can take less than the two first round pick? I'd trade him for something, gives the keys to Rivers, spend some money on the D, and hand off to LT, and chuck it up to Gates. Heck, I could probably do that. :D

rivers = leaf.

703531[/snapback]

No way.  Rivers has a ton of character.  He has the skills, but his skills are not top notch or not what made him a great QB at NC State.  It was his leadership and character.

703593[/snapback]

I agree. NO WAY they're the same. Rivers is a stand-up type guy, Leaf was a jerk. They're night and day in my book.

No way.  Rivers has a ton of character.  He has the skills, but his skills are not top notch or not what made him a great QB at NC State.  It was his leadership and character.

703593[/snapback]

So what makes him different from Brees?

I think what the Chargers will do is either hope Brees nets them 2 1sts or happily go into next season with him at the helm. If they keep him I really think they're hoping he can repeat his performance because then they can feel comfortable with trading Rivers for another pick or a good player next season. Then they would franchise Brees again & try to lock him up long term. The only way they don't come out on top is if Brees doesn't get traded & then tanks next year. Then he's not worth the franchise tag & he's a UFA so they get nothing for him. The only good side to that is they have Rivers to replace him with & he's had 2 years to get ready.

I think the Chargers would prefer to keep Brees if they can't work a trade for the two 1sts since everyone on the team likes playing for him & they have the most to gain by keeping him.

Any chance that Miami makes a run for Rivers?  What would it take?

703087[/snapback]

Nobody will make a run at Rivers. See THIS THREAD for the article I posted that will tell you why. AJ is NOT trading the kid, he IS the future of this team.

I think they were smart in using the "non-exclusive" tag. This gives Brees the opportunity to go out and negotiate a long term deal with another team. Then, the numbers do not have to be published for purposes of clearing the franchise "2 #1 picks" rule that would come with signing him.

Brees takes his deal to the Chargers and says to the effect, "I have a contract workied out with the "Other Team", now go ahead and work out a trade. Say it was Dallas. AJ can now try to work out a trade to the Cowboys for a #1 and "other considerations" without having to force the two first round pick deal. Might be a number one, a player and another #2 or #3. The Chargers then pull the trigger on a "trade pending a contract can be worked out between the Cowboys and Brees" and miraculously, one is reached quickly.

Had they used the exclusive rights, they would have to have paid him more money against the cap AND Brees would not have been allowed to talk to other teams.

I still say, sell high while the getting is good. He is a great kid, and a solid NFL QB. I chose Dallas because I think it is a great fit and think something could be worked out. The Chargers are at least two years away from putting a championship defense together, and I say we let RIvers take the helm now, so that when all the pieces are in place the Chargers don't end up like the Steelers did with Big Ben at playoff time.