[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is it about Peerless Price that

Fatman

I know he flourished in Buffalo because he was the No. 2, but it seemed like he had great speed and elusivness in the open field. Now that he's in the ATL, he's been one of the bigger FA busts of the past 3-5 years (only behind Joe Johnson and the Packers :D ). I haven't had a chance to watch Peerless much in the past few years, but what, specifically, makes him so poor in Atlanta? Sloppy routes? Dropped passes? Not physical? Inaccuracy from Vick? Hard to believe that he could be THIS ineffective as No. 1, but it certainly appears to be the case. Why is it?

There are a few reasons ...and I was definitely one who said the Falcons overpaid for this guy when he was shipped to ATL. He had ONE GOOD YEAR . You can't just pay out the arse for a WR because he has had one good year and is one of the only Free Agents out there , it was absurd. Bledsoe takes a lot of sacks , but this is in part because he is waiting for the WRs to get open. Vick does not do this. He glances for open WRs then runs. He doesn't wait for his WRs. Price never had #1 coverage on him until ATL. And all the points you mentioned , he is not physical enough and can't get open.

I've watched him quite a bit during his career. In Buffalo he got a lot of deep balls thrown his way, and was never double covered and did not draw coverage from #1 corner.

In Atlanta, Vick does not have the patience to wait for the deep routes to develop. If there's nothing available after he drops, he either looks to Dunn or Crumpler or simply takes off running.

I also don't think Price runs good routes, certainly not good enough to get open consistently against good defenders. He should go back to the #2 role.

When I first heard we were getting price i was pretty happy. But after watching him the last coupla' years, I'm nowhere near as enamoured. One thing he has a terrible habit of is not coming back for the ball after he's broken off his route. The #1 CB's that are on him these days have the speed to recover and knock the ball away while Price just stands there like a big dummy. He does not help his QB out at all, except for broken plays when he's ad libbing.

Vick's lack of pocket patience and inaccuracy also contribute, but honestly, as stated above, there have been times where the ball is delivered right on the money, but Price does absolutely nothing to sheild the defender off. You watch the great WR's and they'll help their QB out, coming back for the ball or at least physically sheilding the defender off. Half the time Price remembers to do that, the other half the time he'll just stand there like a big dork and then have this stupid puzzeled look on his face as he trots back to the huddle because at the last second, the pass got batted away by the CB.

Makes me mad as all get out when I see him do that.

Michael Irvin thinks the guy is not a true #1.  I'd agree.

703328[/snapback]

I can't imagine that Irvin said something that made sense!!!

He's right. Price would have had a really solid career if he'd stayed in a role within his abilities. Just because you are a solid #2 doesn't mean you're cut to be a #1 -- it's not oppression, it's talent and effort. Put Price on a team with an accurate passer and a true #1 WR, and he'll do fine for you. Ask him to lead the way as the top WR and you'll just make his momma and the opposition defense smile.

1- not a physical enough WR

2- a qb that gives the WR 2 seconds to get open and then runs/gets sacked

703405[/snapback]

Ditto  :D  :D

703847[/snapback]

What he said.

A lousy quarterback (who couldn't hit water if he was on the beach) throwing to him?

703346[/snapback]

:D:DB):D:DB)

Do you even watch Falcon tape?????

Peerless is unable to get open on numerous chances with the time that Vick gives him. Also west coast offense is limiting him to little deep routes where he is very effective

(who couldn't hit water if he was on the beach)

703346[/snapback]

I think this is an unfair analogy. You say, "the beach". I have to ask, which beach? I have been on some pretty expansive beaches so a lot would depend on the size of the beach and how far onto it he were actually standing. That said, he has a pretty strong arm so unless he was just throwing in the wrong direction... oh, I get it.

In Atlanta, Vick does not have the patience to wait for the deep routes to develop. If there's nothing available after he drops, he either looks to Dunn or Crumpler or simply takes off running.

703465[/snapback]

BINGO.......

703465[/snapback]

So how did Vick get sacked 46 times if he doesn't have the patience to wait for the deep routes to develop?

Defenses blitz Vick because they feel that is the best way to contain him is to attack him............

So how did Vick get sacked 46 times if he doesn't have the patience to wait for the deep routes to develop? 

Defenses blitz Vick because they feel that is the best way to contain him is to attack him............

704639[/snapback]

Come on now . Vick gets sacked because he is trying to escape and looking for the run. Rarely is he sacked because he is looking for open WRs.

Come on now .  Vick gets sacked because he is trying to escape and looking for the run.  Rarely is he sacked because he is looking for open WRs.

704791[/snapback]

That's funny because 75% of the time when Vick runs, it is because his O Line doesn't give him enough time to wait for Peerles Price to get open.

The answer in a nutshell is that Price isn't a #1 WR. There's not a quality #2 there to take some pressure off and if there was, the QB doesn't wait long enough in the pocket to get the ball to either of them. Yes Vick was sacked many times this year and, while his line should take some of the blame so should he. Many of those sacks were stepping out of the pocket to run only to run into his shadow on def. If Vick just had some patience and hung a little longer in the pocket would we still be having this discussion? Ya, we probably would but there wouldn't be so much to talk about.

I'm a huge FalCANs fan and I've watched every single game for years. Even the few Monday night games the FalCANs would have, if I wasn't at the dome itself and they were blacked out, I'd go find an under the radar bar getting an illegal feed to watch them.

More often than not, it was painful, but I watched 'em none the less.

There's actually a few reasons Price has under whelmed.

#1 Read my post on him above. He is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a #1 WR, nor do I think he has the intangibles to ever become one.

#2 Remember Price has only been with the FalCANs two seasons and for his first season with the team, he had the likes of Doug Johnson :D and Kurt Kittner :D throwing to him for 12 out of the FalCANs 16 2003 games. Price actually had semi decent numbers once Vick got back under center the final 4 games of 2003;

Game 13 against the Panthers: 4 for 57 = Win 20 to 14 in OT

Game 14 against the Colts: 1 for 17 = Loss 7 to 38 B)

Game 15 against the Bucs: 4 for 76 = Win 30 to 28

Game 16 against the Panthers: 4 for 74 + 1 TD = Win 21 to 14

#3 The emergence of Alge Crumpler. Crumpler has been bubbling for awhile now. Before this year Kozlowski, had still been on the FalCANs roster and Reeves just plain flat out loved the guy. Rightfully so as Kozlowski would do whatever Reeves asked of him. HB, FB and his natural position TE. This year Crumpler had the role of pass catching TE all to himself and he responded by exploding for a career sesaon of 48 for 774 + 6 TD's.

#4 The Offensive Game Plan itself. The FalCANs did not have the NFL's number one ranked Rushing Offense because they threw the ball a lot. From my understanding of the game, it's extremely difficult to catch balls that are not thrown.....dontcha know :D

#5 As much of a Vick supporter as I am, I do have to admit he needs to develope more touch on his passes...and a tad more accuracy wouldn't hurt either. For every two or three beautifully thrown balls by Vick, with zip, tight spiral and threading the needle right on the numbers passes, there would be a head scratching, jaw dropping, what the heck was that, type of pass.

You put all of the above together and that's why Peerless Price blows.

Edited by Big Score 1

He is "peerless". He pays the price of having no friends. Now that the other kids bring their own ball he cannot threaten to take his home if they don't let him play.

Someone above mentioned all the time Vick gives him. Watching the Falcons reminds me of watching a backyard game with a bunch of kids. Vick takes off when he doesn't let the play develop and then everyone has to run around aimless trying to get open. Price should just be the "and you go long" guy.

While a lot of Posters in this thread point to Vick being out of control and simply running at the first opportunity, I would have to say these posts would be from people who didn't actually watch all the FalCANs games this year.

The first half of the 2004 season had both Head Coach Jim Mora Jr & Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp demanding Vick stay in the pocket looking for the pass. It was only the last half/third of the season, as they became more comfortable with Vick, that they loosened up the reins a little and gave Vick the green light to freelance with his legs more.

Sorry, but for those of you saying Vick would only look to the pass for maybe 2 seconds or so and then take off running, you just don't know what you're talking about. I get the feeling that you're basing these observations on the ESPN Vick highlights and nothing more.

While some of the blame for Price's poor numbers do indeed reflect the play of his QB, an equal, if not larger share of the blame, must go to the play of Price himself.

He is plain & simply simply, NOT capable of being a #1 WR, with his current level of play.