[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Red McCombs signs...

CaP'N GRuNGe

Name in snow along with a big F U to all the Minnesota fans. Thanks for the "aggressively patient" approach to pocketing all your profits again Red. Now get the hell out of Minnesota already.

:D

If this nightmare of an offseason keeps up, i'm about ready to say I'm a Vikings fan NO MAS! :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bawling:

Time to move on, Capn.

Another step in building up the defense....

Vikings | Williams Agrees to Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:42:03 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent DT Pat Williams (Bills) to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million.

:bawling:

Time to move on, Capn.

Another step in building up the defense....

Vikings | Williams Agrees to Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:42:03 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent DT Pat Williams (Bills) to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million.

718519[/snapback]

We signed an old fat guy. Yippee. I'm sure his bonus will be a roster bonus so we can eat up as much cap space as possible. What was I thinking? This stellar signing more than makes up for losing the best WR in the game for peanuts. We almost lost out on this guy because Red is unwilling to spend any money now and wants these FA to wait and accept their money later this summer (assuming he hopes then that it's Fowler's bill). Sounds like we'll miss out on the LB Pierce because of this reason. Great job Red. :D

We signed an old fat guy. Yippee. I'm sure his bonus will be a roster bonus so we can eat up as much cap space as possible. What was I thinking? This stellar signing more than makes up for losing the best WR in the game for peanuts. We almost lost out on this guy because Red is unwilling to spend any money now and wants these FA to wait and accept their money later this summer (assuming he hopes then that it's Fowler's bill). Sounds like we'll miss out on the LB Pierce because of this reason. Great job Red.  :D

718903[/snapback]

Which is it? You state that Red is going to use his signing bonus as a roster bonus so he can use up cap space...or he's making them wait for their bonus so it will be on Fowlers tab. Which is it? Can't be both.

I was just as upset as anyone when they announced the trade last week, but it's done, he's gone, nothing you can do about it except whine like a little ***. So if that's what you want to do, go ahead, but you might fit in better over at the kfan board where there's tons of whiny bitches.

Which is it? You state that Red is going to use his signing bonus as a roster bonus so he can  use up cap space...or he's making them wait for their bonus so it will be on Fowlers tab. Which is it? Can't be both.

I was just as upset as anyone when they announced the trade last week, but it's done, he's gone, nothing you can do about it except whine like a little ***. So if that's what you want to do, go ahead, but you might fit in better over at the kfan board where there's tons of whiny bitches.

718917[/snapback]

From my understanding, it is both. A roster bonus that will be paid later this summer. Call me whiny if you like, but the Moss trade was simply the last straw from an organization that's motto has become "just profit baby." :D

:D @ the censor blocking *** but then letting me pluralize it.

Pat Williams has been one of the top DT's on one of the top D's the last 5 years. In the last 5 years he's averaged over 50 tackles a year. Two of those years over 80 tackles. That's alot of tackles for a DT. In comparison, the great Warren Sapp only broke 50 tackles twice in his career....barely.

Billy,

Have to side a little bit with CaP'n on this. Red needs to leave and the sooner the better. We need defensive help now and Red is low balling the top FA's out there. I would have rather had Pierce at LB then Williams at DT. Looks like the money was similar. Seems the Vikings made an offer on Pierce it was just too low.

The Vikings have enough CAP $ to get whomever they wanted in this years FA. We have almost $20 million more than anyother team. So why are we not signing FA's????

The problem (IMO) with trying to sign FA's right now is everyone knows the Vikings are getting sold, the coaches are on one year contracts, and we currently have a tight a$$ as a owner.

However, if the team was aggressively signing good players, guys would feel ok about coming here and playing, at least for next year.

No way do I want to go into the season with Burleson and Robinson as the receiving corps.

I guess Red is planning on spendng the new owners $$ during the draft???

No offense meant Capn. Just getting tired of some of the complaining going on. Like I said, I was just as upset as anyone last week. In fact I placed 5 calls to Winter Park that day to voice my displeasure.

But it's the same old crap whining that annoys me. Everyone complains about the "roster bonus" ploy, but I happen to like it, as it removes a lot of salary cap concerns down the road by not backloading big contracts and forcing teams to cut still valuable players because of the way their contracts are structured.

I'm sure there will be more piling on about Reds cheap ways. And again I am no fan of his by any means...but all the whining going on about how cheap he is, isn't entirely accurate either.

Vikes had the 8th highest payroll last year.

_____  2004 NFL Payrolls  _____Team Payroll(Millions) Redskins $117.9 Eagles* $105.1 Texans $97.5  Lions $94.6 Seahawks* $94.0  Dolphins $93.9  Jets* $93.9 Vikings* $92.4 Colts* $92.1  Panthers $87.8  Bears $87.8 Browns $87.7 Ravens  $86.5  Chiefs $84.6 Falcons* $82.6  Buccaneers $82.0  Giants $81.6 Packers* $80.4  Bills $80.2 Titans  $79.0 Cardinals $79.0  Raiders $78.4 Steelers* $78.1  Patriots* $77.0  Rams* $76.5  Chargers*  $76.2 Saints  $73.4 Broncos* $72.4 Jaguars $72.1  Bengals $68.8  Cowboys $65.4  49ers  $62.6 

Edited by BillyBalata

Billy,

Have to side a little bit with CaP'n on this.  Red needs to leave and the sooner the better.  We need defensive help now and Red is low balling the top FA's out there.  I would have rather had Pierce at LB then Williams at DT.  Looks like the money was similar.  Seems the Vikings made an offer on Pierce it was just too low.

The Vikings have enough CAP $ to get whomever they wanted in this years FA.  We have almost $20 million more than anyother team.  So why are we not signing FA's????

The problem (IMO) with trying to sign FA's right now is everyone knows the Vikings are getting sold, the coaches are on one year contracts, and we currently have a tight a$$ as a owner.

However, if the team was aggressively signing good players, guys would feel ok about coming here and playing, at least for next year.

No way do I want to go into the season with Burleson and Robinson as the receiving corps.

I guess Red is planning on spendng the new owners $$ during the draft???

718951[/snapback]

Sorry...the articles I have read so far are saying we offered Pierce MORE money then the Giants. $30 mill versus their $26 mill.

And for christs sake...the FA period isn't even two days old yet!

Pat Williams has been one of the top DT's on one of the top D's the last 5 years. In the last 5 years he's averaged over 50 tackles a year. Two of those years over 80 tackles. That's alot of tackles for a DT. In comparison, the great Warren Sapp only broke 50 tackles twice in his career....barely.

718922[/snapback]

the key here to me is that if the Vikes decide to go to a 3-4 D....... this will move Kevin Williams back outside to DE where he belongs.

Udeze, Williams & Williams across the frontline is formidable. Now they just need some LB's that can tackle. :D:D

Everyone complains about the "roster bonus" ploy, but I happen to like it, as it removes a lot of salary cap concerns down the road by not backloading big contracts and forcing teams to cut still valuable players because of the way their contracts are structured.

718962[/snapback]

Right on Billy. This is exactly what the Vikings should be doing with all that cap space - as opposed to the teams that are stuck at or over the cap right now. Those teams have to use signing bonuses & backloaded contracts to fit under the cap now, which puts them in a bind down the road (like Miami & Tennessee did). The Vikings can take the cap hit now & still be in great shape in the future.

Now whether the Vikes are spending enough money on the right players is a different question. The jury is still out on that.

Sorry...the articles I have read so far are saying we offered Pierce MORE money then the Giants. $30 mill versus their $26 mill.

And for christs sake...the FA period isn't even two days old yet!

718967[/snapback]

I just read that too...I guess maybe might point about FA's not wanting to come here because the team is in transition may be valid??

Hopefully with Pierce we can pull a Winfield????

718922[/snapback]

Exactly, the Vikings have been horrible against the Run & Pass. Getting a run suffing, middle clogging, land mover DT like Williams will help the entire defense. Williams was a great first step and will help the Corners and LBs by making it more difficult to run and freeing up the LBs to run freely to the ball.

You have to look no further than GB without Grady Jackson, the Bills D, Baltimore, and the Pats of 03, to find out how much a mammoth unmoveable DT can do for a defense.

I agree, they should sign a LB, CB, and safety, but Williams is a fantastic first step.

Everyone keeps crying over losing Randy MOss, when a lot of people think it was a great move. Harris will improve the LB position and they now have 2 first rounders, with one in the top 10. All for a guy who is entering his 8th year in the league.

Considering the Vikings averaged like 30 points/game while Moss was off the field, its addition by subtraction for me. At least now, you might have a player who blocks, actually runs on every play, and doesn't forecast the play to the defense!

Exactly, the Vikings have been horrible against the Run & Pass.  Getting a run suffing, middle clogging, land mover DT like Williams will help the entire defense.  Williams was a great first step and will help the Corners and LBs by making it more difficult to run and freeing up the LBs to run freely to the ball. 

You have to look no further than GB without Grady Jackson, the Bills D, Baltimore, and the Pats of 03, to find out how much a mammoth unmoveable DT can do for a defense. 

I agree, they should sign a LB, CB, and safety, but Williams is a fantastic first step.

Everyone keeps crying over losing Randy MOss, when a lot of people think it was a great move.  Harris will improve the LB position and they now have 2 first rounders, with one in the top 10.  All for a guy who is entering his 8th year in the league.

Considering the Vikings averaged like 30 points/game while Moss was off the field, its addition by subtraction for me.  At least now, you might have a player who blocks, actually runs on every play, and doesn't forecast the play to the defense!

719053[/snapback]

This is what suprises me the most about the Moss move. People think that the offense will continue to move the football and just rack up points next year and that the only thing they need is defense. After watching games last year without Moss, I will tell you that they have an entirely different offense without him, and Burleson scares no one. They better put together a tough D, because that offense will not produce like it did last year.

This is what suprises me the most about the Moss move.  People think that the offense will continue to move the football and just rack up points next year and that the only thing they need is defense.  After watching games last year without Moss, I will tell you that they have an entirely different offense without him, and Burleson scares no one.  They better put together a tough D, because that offense will not produce like it did last year.

719093[/snapback]

While admitadly not a Vikes fan, I watched almost if not all of their games, because I had Cpep in 3 or 4 leagues last year. The loss of Moss takes away some of the big play capability, but while he was out, the offense appeared to be more consistant, if not quiet as explosive. While there is not doubt that Moss is a great player, he is also a cancer. I don't see the Vikes being quite as good on the O side, but if they make up for it on the D side, with a few additions, plus are more consistent (read longer drives) on the O side, it is porbably a net push.

The pass "D" is horrible for the Vikes!  Better get Law or someone to play the pass or any "D" will light them up....

:D

719113[/snapback]

The line and linebackers are great, but I agree. Without someone in the secondary that can cover down the field all the run defense in the world will not help.

the key here to me is that if the Vikes decide to go to a 3-4 D....... this will move Kevin Williams back outside to DE where he belongs.

Udeze, Williams & Williams across the frontline is formidable. Now they just need some LB's that can tackle.  :D  :D

719031[/snapback]

With this signing..and the acquisition of Napolean Harris...it almost seems like its certain they will switch to 3-4...Williams is that big body that can play nose in the 3-4..Udeze and Williams at the ends..I think Williams can excel out there, much like Richard Seymour has, even though both started out inside and played very well there.He wont put up big tackle or sack numbers, but hell be disruptive and stout against the run on the edge. the linebacking corps of thomas, claiborne, henderson, and harris could be very good. if the vikes add some more help via free agency and the 18th pick(and maybe with the 7th if they go after a receiver in free agency), they are moving in the right direction.

With this signing..and the acquisition of Napolean Harris...it almost seems like its certain they will switch to 3-4...Williams is that big body that can play nose in the 3-4..Udeze and Williams at the ends..I think Williams can excel out there, much like Richard Seymour has, even though both started out inside and played very well there.He wont put up big tackle or sack numbers, but hell be disruptive and stout against the run on the edge. the linebacking corps of thomas, claiborne, henderson, and harris could be very good. if the vikes add some more help via free agency and the 18th pick(and maybe with the 7th if they go after a receiver in free agency), they are moving in the right direction.

719304[/snapback]

Winfield needs help in the secondary for sure. Brian Williams is a liability..... Russell & Chavous are too for that matter. Ty Law would be great signing.

Edited by Down Goes Frazia