[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats trade for Duane Starks

Dr. Rock

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2003545

The New England Patriots plan to bolster their depleted cornerback corps on Thursday, as they have agreed in principle to a trade that will bring them veteran Duane Starks of the Arizona Cardinals.

Barring any unexpected complications, the Super Bowl champions will send a third-round draft pick to Arizona in exchange for Starks, a top-flight cover corner who was plagued by injuries the past three seasons. The teams also will swap places in the fifth round.

Cardinals coach Dennis Green intimated strongly at the combine workouts over the weekend that Arizona was seeking a trade partner for Starks, a six-year veteran.

Starks

Starks will lend experience and playmaking potential to a New England cornerback corps that has undergone a dramatic shakeup the past year. The Patriots last week released Ty Law and could still part ways with Tyrone Poole. The two men started for the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII victory over Carolina in 2003.

In the second half of the 2004 campaign, injuries forced New England to use a pair of youngsters, second-year pro Asante Samuel and rookie Randall Gay, an undrafted college free agent, as starters. Playing with such an inexperienced corner tandem made New England's victory against Philadelphia in Super Bowl XXXIX more amazing.

In contrast, the Patriots are getting a very accomplished cornerback in Starks, who is motivated as he seeks to resurrect a flagging career, and the kind of veteran with whom New England has been successful in the past.

"I'm happy with the teams that are negotiating for me right now," Starks said in a Wednesday night appearance on Sirius Satellite Radio. "I'm just sitting back, waiting. I've been on a Super Bowl team before, and I'd like to go back to a Super Bowl team."

Calls to Starks' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were not returned.

The principle concern with Starks is injuries. He has missed 23 games over the past three seasons with a variety of injuries, including a torn anterior cruciate ligament that sidelined him for the entire 2003 campaign. He also has suffered groin, arm and leg injuries. He has not appeared in all 16 games since 1999 and has never started 16 games in any season.

If healthy, however, the former Miami (Fla.) standout can help the Patriots and add depth to an area of concern.

Starks, 30, was Baltimore's first-round choice in the 1998 draft and played four years with the Ravens before signing with Arizona as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He has appeared in 87 games and started in 62 of them with 316 tackles, 25 interceptions and 51 passes defended. He posted at least five pickoffs in three different years.

Under his Arizona contract, Starks has two seasons remaining, at $3.6 million each year, but it is believed he agreed to restructure the deal to accommodate the trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2003545

The principle concern with Starks is injuries. He has missed 23 games over the past three seasons with a variety of injuries, including a torn anterior cruciate ligament that sidelined him for the entire 2003 campaign. He also has suffered groin, arm and leg injuries. He has not appeared in all 16 games since 1999 and has never started 16 games in any season.

718652[/snapback]

You gotta be friggin' kidding me.

HELLO NFL TEAMS.  Rodney Harrison.  Corey Dillon.  Duane Starks. 

SOMEBODY MAKE A BETTER OFFER.

718824[/snapback]

A 3rd round pick is a small risk, but still a risk. If Starks doesn't stay healthy, it's a risk. He hasn't really done anything in the last three years, and the year Baltimore won it all he had Chris McAllister (in his prime) working the other corner.

I think the other shoe in this deal is that the Pats and Cards swap their 5th rounders or something. That moves us way up in that round. Hopefully the Pats will continue to make good use of their later round picks as they have in the past.

A 3rd round pick is a small risk, but still a risk.  If Starks doesn't stay healthy, it's a risk.  He hasn't really done anything in the last three years, and the year Baltimore won it all he had Chris McAllister (in his prime) working the other corner.

718852[/snapback]

A risk like picking up Rodney Harrison when nobody wanted him?

A risk like picking up a team cancer like Corey Dillon?

Starks is a darn good cornerback. Getting away from the Cardinals is all he needs.

I think the other shoe in this deal is that the Pats and Cards swap their 5th rounders or something. That moves us way up in that round. Hopefully the Pats will continue to make good use of their later round picks as they have in the past.

718972[/snapback]

Like P.K. Sam? Christian Morton? Kliff Kingsbury? Spencer Nead? Tully Banta-Cain? Ethan Kelley? Antwoine Womack? Hakim Akbar? Arther Love? Leonard Myers? Owen Pochman? T.J. Turner? Casey Tisdale? David Nugent? Patrick Pass? Antwan Harris? Jeff Marriott? Dave Stachelski? Derrick Fletcher? Marcus Washington? Michael Bishop? Sean Morey? All were drafted by the Pats in rounds 5-7 between 1999-2004.

Just messing with you. The Pats have done all right in rounds 5-7. David Givens (7), Dan Koppen (5), and of course Tom Brady (6).

Edited by CaptainHook

Like P.K. Sam? Christian Morton? Kliff Kingsbury? Spencer Nead? Tully Banta-Cain?  Ethan Kelley?  Antwoine Womack?  Hakim Akbar?  Arther Love?  Leonard Myers?  Owen Pochman?  T.J. Turner?  Casey Tisdale? David Nugent?  Patrick Pass? Antwan Harris?  Jeff Marriott?  Dave Stachelski?  Derrick Fletcher?  Marcus Washington?  Michael Bishop?  Sean Morey?  All were drafted by the Pats in rounds 5-7 between 1999-2004.

Just messing with you.  The Pats have done all right in rounds 5-7.  David Givens (7), Dan Koppen (5), and of course Tom Brady (6).

719200[/snapback]

Patrick Pass was the starting fullback this year... Antwan Harris was a hero in the secondary in the 1st Super Bowl year.. Tully Banta-Cain is a great special teams player.. NO ONE is going to hit on all late round picks, but thye have grabbed some useful players.

Like P.K. Sam? Christian Morton? Kliff Kingsbury? Spencer Nead? Tully Banta-Cain?  Ethan Kelley?  Antwoine Womack?  Hakim Akbar?  Arther Love?  Leonard Myers?  Owen Pochman?  T.J. Turner?  Casey Tisdale? David Nugent?  Patrick Pass? Antwan Harris?  Jeff Marriott?  Dave Stachelski?  Derrick Fletcher?  Marcus Washington?  Michael Bishop?  Sean Morey?  All were drafted by the Pats in rounds 5-7 between 1999-2004.

Just messing with you.  The Pats have done all right in rounds 5-7.  David Givens (7), Dan Koppen (5), and of course Tom Brady (6).

719200[/snapback]

hey dont mess with Owen Pochman..he dated Brandy Roderick...and Christian Morton got worked by Greg Lewis in the NFC title game with the Falcons...Leonard Myers just made 25,000 on ebay! Sean Morey..special teams gunner for the Steelers!..Michael Bishop carving out a nice career in the CFL!...dont sleep on Tully Banta Cain though..hey Patrick Pass is sticking around

yeah Starks needs to stay healthy, something our DB's seem to have a hard time doing..but yeah..youve gotta love this deal...where the hell was Bill Polian?

Doc Roc...

You are right on......about 50% of those guys have played some sort of a role during this pats run. After reading that list I am actually very impressed with what they've got out of that list.

Guest THEbigred

I'm kinda tired of the Pats myself, but I have no problem w/them winning SBs. GB the "team first" mentality dominating and no egomaniacal a-holes like Owens, ad nauseum. Extremely refreshing (warmed my heart to see Owens watch hopelessly as the final seconds ticked off the in SB. buh-bye POS). :D

OK back to Starks: this is a great move......IF he can stay healthy. And I'd bet a pretty penny he misses a fair chunk of time.