[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants sign LB Antonio Pierce

Dr. Rock

Anyone know much about this guy? I never really heard of him this year until he supposedly had a pretty good season for the Redskins stepping in when Michael Barrow was hurt. $6.5 million signing bonus is a pretty big chunk.. though we did need a LB badly. Thoughts? I don't know him well enough to comment.

Sources told FOXSports.com that the Giants have come to terms on a deal with Washington Redskins MLB Antonio Pierce, a huge loss for their division rivals Redskins. Pierce also had interest from the Chiefs and an offer from the Vikings, who jumped into the fray today.

The deal is a six-year deal worth $26 million and includes a $6.5 million signing bonus, a tremendous figure for the up-and-coming linebacker. The structure of the deal is also done in a way to benefit the Giants salary cap and gives them some wiggle room over the course of the deal. Pierce has not yet signed but the agreement is in place.

Pierce was loved by Redskins LB Gregg Williams, who once told FOXSports.com that Pierce is one of the smartest linebackers the defensive coordinator has ever coached in his career. Ironically, he was able to jumpstart his career when he filled in at Washington for another former Giant, Michael Barrow.

Bell, brought in by the Giants earlier in the day, was brought to New York for a physical but the team soon backed off when Pierce came into the picture. It's unclear if the Giants had Pierce in their sights during Bell's visit or if they jumped into the Pierce derby as a result of Bell's visit.

Pierce had a breakthrough season in 2004 when he registered 160 tackles according to the Redskins totals, 112 according to the numbers on NFL.com. He was also responsible for making several defensive calls and often helped putting other players in the correct position.

I picked him up off the wire in one of my leagues this year. I kicked myself all year long for not getting him in more of them. He became a starter as an injury replacement and didn't give up the spot all year long. Nice signing by the Giants.

All of the reports I can find on him are good, but I'm not sure if I like signing him over Kendrell Bell, who was our other hopeful..

718703[/snapback]

Bell can't seem to stay on the field, I would have rather had Pierce anyway.

LB help we desparately needed. I know everyone says he stepped up last year, but I'm never comfortable believeing that a guy switching teams and systems will just pop in and take over.

My understanding is that he's not technically signed yet. He's agreed to sign but hasn't actually done that yet. Vikes have been after this guy for two years now. They signed him to an offer sheet last year but the skins matched it. They also made him an offer yesterday but he chose the Giants offer instead. So far at least....better get him signed quick before Ticey sends his jet to NY to pick him up and steal him away! :D

Boooo!

:D

718915[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree. Pierce is a diamond in the rough who really shone as a player and team leader this year when he got his chance. I want to keep him.

He said he would let the redskins match any offer and I havent heard that they didnt, so I grasp at the glimmer of hope we can retain him. I certainly dont want him on the Giants. :D

Yeah, I agree. Pierce is a diamond in the rough who really shone as a player and team leader this year when he got his chance. I want to keep him.

He said he would let the redskins match any offer and I havent heard that they didnt, so I grasp at the glimmer of hope we can retain him. I certainly dont want him on the Giants. :D

719142[/snapback]

Heh.. I'm grasping at that same glimmer today myself. Hope he really does give the Skins a chance to match. Whether they do or not... I don't know. I hope they do. Really don't want to see him as a Giant.

Heh..  I'm grasping at that same glimmer today myself.  Hope he really does give the Skins a chance to match.  Whether they do or not...  I don't know.  I hope they do.  Really don't want to see him as a Giant.

719385[/snapback]

It's official now, by the way... link

Edited by Dr. Rock

With Pierce locking down MLB, where does that leave the rest of the Giants' LB corps? Do we cut the over paid dog housed barret green and let griesen continue his upward progression at WLB? Does emmons stay on the strong side or do we need to upgrade? Does kevin lewis stay on as a versatile backup?