[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants intent on protecting Eli

rajncajn

Giants to sign ex-Jets ORT McKenzie

Giants to sign ex-Jets ORT McKenzie

By Mike Holbrook

March 4, 2005

PFW has learned that the Giants have made their second big splash in this year's free-agency pool by agreeing to terms with ex-Jets ORT Kareem McKenzie on a seven-year, $37.75 million deal, with a $12.5 million signing bonus. The 25-year-old is slated to earn $18 million in the first three years of the deal and becomes one of the highest-paid right tackles in the NFL.

If McKenzie plays out this entire contract, he will earn more than Jonas Jennings, who plays the more-coveted OLT position and who signed a seven-year, $36 million deal ($12 million in total bonuses) with the 49ers. His deal also compares favorably with Colts ORT Ryan Diem's seven-year, $32 million deal, which includes $12.75 million in signing bonus.

While I know we needed to shore up some big holes, I'm a touch concerned about these big $$$ contracts. The Giants have been good cap managers to date, but I'd hate to see us end up in cap hell over this.

Now our O-line (barring something unlikely like a Pace trade) is:

Petigout-Diehl-O'Hara-Snee-McKenzie

Now that's a line! McKenzie and Petitgout (when healthy) are both above-average performers, and great bookends. Diehl and Snee were both rookies last year who definitely showed some promise, and O'Hara, while not super, is a solid veteran.. i like it.

Whatcha think of putting McKenzie at the LT position?

721292[/snapback]

I think you hit it right, don't be surprised to see a flip flop here. If not I could definitely see another signing coming as that left spot can't be left up to Petigout.

B-E-A-UTIFUL. I think we overpayed but this signing fills a big need. Things are definitely on the up and up. It's WR time. I think we should stay away from overpaying at WR though.

Kid Cid, wasn't it just like 2 years ago where we couldn't do anything in the offseason because of our bad cap situation? I trust that EA is doing the right thing, for this season and beyond.

Kid Cid, wasn't it just like 2 years ago where we couldn't do anything in the offseason because of our bad cap situation?  I trust that EA is doing the right thing, for this season and beyond.

721593[/snapback]

I don't know about the McKenzie deal, but I know the Pierce deal was structured in such way that it would NOT ruin our cap, and if we want to cut him in a few years, it wouldn't be financially prohibitive.

Considering that Strahan and Toomer are likely around only for another year or two, and Tiki earns every last penny he gets, Eli is the only one at the moment with a mammothly monster contract - and hopefully he'll start earning it real soon.

I see a couple different posts advising the G-Men to look at WR now that the line has been worked on. Is Toomer still looking to enter next season as the #1WR? Any 2nd or 3rd year guys in house ready to step up now that Hilliard is gone? Do the Giants go WR with thier 1st pick?

I see a couple different posts advising the G-Men to look at WR now that the line has been worked on. Is Toomer still looking to enter next season as the #1WR? Any 2nd or 3rd year guys in house ready to step up now that Hilliard is gone? Do the Giants go WR with thier 1st pick?

721714[/snapback]

I think Toomer is still going to be the #1, because I don't think they're going to sign Plaxico and there's no one out there left better than Toomer is.

The Giants are loaded with 2nd or 3rd year guys that can step up - Jamaar Taylor, Tim Carter, Willie Ponder, and David Tyree among them. Each have shown short flashes of talent in the last year or two. The main sticking point, of course, is actually stepping it up and PROVING it. With Hilliard gone, this is their big chance to show they belong.

I still believe the Giants will go out and add 1 veteran through free agency and 1 through the draft, which would give them 7 WRs. I don't think the vet will be a Pro Bowl type like Mason would have been, or Burress, but more of a solid type to ensure that Toomer isn't alone with the kids (Jurevicious would be perfect). I also think that since we don't have a 1st round pick, our first pick will be dictated more by who's on the board rather than need.

Dr. Rock, great analysis. I couldn't agree more. Tyler Rose, merely look above for the answer to your questions.

I'll just add that it is a real positive to go into the draft knowing that when #43 comes up, you can draft the best player on your board and not reach because of need.

Who are the other veteran WR FAs available? On the Giants message board, there was a RUMOR floaring that Burress has been given an offer and that he was (or will be) in for a physical. I haven't see a link over there for it though.

Thanks for the info guys. Don't get much NYG news here in D-Town and I've always liked Toomer(although I'm actually a MSU fan)and was wondering if he'd still play a prominant role with the G-Men next season. Did he and Manning seem to connect at all late in the year? Yes, I am picking your brains about late round sleepers :D