[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plexiglass to the Giants?

Big Score 1

I doubt Burress will sign, at least right away. The Giants have spent a lot of money already, and with the lack of interest in Burress so far, will try to low ball him. As far as I know, this is the first team that has even asked to talk to him. From what his agent has said, he's surprised and disappointed in the low interest levels shown by the NFL so far. I think Burress would be a great fit with the G-Men though, Coughlin would not put up with any nonesense. I wonder if Plastico has asked for an audience with the Jets, while he's in town? :D

Burress' agent is asking for Muhammy type money and the Giants only have 5.6 mil of cap space (still have other vet needs plus rookie class). I don't see it happening and honestly, I don't want to see it. We definitely need WR help, but I don't think we should reach for Burress at the price his agent is asking.

He IS in NY today, as previously stated in this thread.

I see him going to Minny, they have PLENTY of space.

"ESPN Radio 1250 in Pittsburgh is reporting that Plaxico did not show up for his scheduled meeting with the New York Giants today. The Giants didn't have a comment other than to contact Plaxico's agent."

Edited by Big Score 1

I found this online... still no links:

ESPN reports Plaxico Burress did not spend the day visiting the Giants because of an illness.

Even as a free agent, Burress is unreliable. The ESPN report indicated the Giants still have interest, but there is probably more to this story which we'll learn in the next few days

Chris Mortinson was on WEEI in Boston this morning. He said that there was no meeting because the Giants didn't even know that Plaxico was coming to NY to meet them. They never set up a meeting.

Mort said it seems like a case of an agent trying to drum up interest for a client.

Funny stuff.

Edited by Patsfan04

from Len Pasquarili's Tip Sheet...

One of the mysteries of the first few days of free agency is the dearth of action that Pittsburgh wide receiver Plaxico Burress is garnering on the market. The wide receiver pool has been quickly drained by signings (Derrick Mason in Baltimore and Muhsin Muhammad in Chicago) and re-signings (T.J. Houshmandzadeh in Cincinnati and Jerry Porter with Oakland) and trades (Randy Moss to the Raiders). It's hard to argue that Burress isn't the best wideout still available. But the phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook. There have been a few exploratory calls to agent Michael Harrison, but nothing of substance yet, and teams are telling Burress' new representative they have other priorities to address and might not be ready to visit with the Steelers veteran until next week. The preliminary discussion that Harrison had with Minnesota officials Thursday, and which was ballyhooed by one wire service, actually was initiated by the agent. The New York Giants unofficially floated some contract parameters this week, ESPN.com has learned, but their proposal averaged less than $4 million per year and the signing bonus was less than $5 million. Burress is said to be seeking a contract that approximates the six-year deal Muhammad inked with the Bears, a deal that includes $12 million in total guarantees and will pay the nine-year veteran $16 million in its first three seasons. Burress has to be wondering, however, whether he'll get anything close to that. "Let's just say [Plaxico] thought he'd either be on a plane by now or already signed," a close Burress friend said Wednesday afternoon, the first day of the signing period. What is somewhat puzzling is that, despite some past off-field indiscretions, Burress was a model citizen for the Steelers in 2004. His reception totals were down, thanks in part to injuries and playing with a rookie quarterback, but he bit his tongue. Taking a page from the book of teammate Hines Ward, he concentrated more on his downfield blocking in Pittsburgh's run-heavy offense, and definitely put the team ahead of himself. The rehabilitation of his persona and newfound maturity haven't translated into Burress moving to the front burner of teams looking to heat up their passing attack, though.