[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samari Rolle signs with Ravens

Big Red

Wow, didn't even thing we where looking at him. Much better than Gary Baxter.

From http://www.thebaltimoresun.com

Ravens sign CB Rolle

Former Titan among best free agents available this offseason

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published March 7, 2005, 3:36 PM EST

Highly-regarded cornerback Samari Rolle reached an agreement with the Ravens on Monday.

After failing to finalize a deal with Kansas City over the weekend, Rolle visited the Ravens complex and took a physical, a sign that the talks were becoming serious. Considered by many as the best free agent available this offseason, Rolle has garnered the reputation of being one of the NFL's premier defenders.

The Ravens will announce the signing at a 5:15 p.m. news conference.

The eight-year veteran would represent a significant upgrade over Gary Baxter, who bolted for the Cleveland Browns on Friday after his agreement with the Ravens broke down. Baxter was always seen as a hybrid of a corner and a safety while Rolle is a pure cover guy.

A Pro Bowl defender in 2000, Rolle has made 23 career interceptions and has broken up 43 other passes. He would team with Chris McAlister for a formidable starting cornerback duo.

It is believed that the Ravens would offer a signing bonus in the $10 million to $12 million range.

This would represent a surprising reversal since it had been assumed Rolle would sign with the Chiefs a couple days ago. But Kansas City's worries centered on a spine condition (stenosis), which was discovered during a routine physical administered during Rolle's visit there.

Rolle, who turns 29 in August, was involved in two separate incidents regarding neck and spine injuries during his seven-year stay in Tennessee. Ravens officials, though, had no issues with his physical.

The spinal condition aside, Rolle should have several good seasons left. He missed the most games of his career last season, when he was sidelined five games because of a left knee injury. He is believed to be recovered after having surgery on it this offseason.

An incident that could have also scared some teams away was Rolle's Feb. 15 arrest on a domestic assault charge. It stemmed from a Valentine's Day altercation that left his wife, Danisha, with a cut over her left eye that required three stitches. His court date is April 6 in Franklin, Tenn., with a maximum sentence of 11 months and 29 days plus a fine.

His wife accompanied him on his trip to the Ravens complex today.

Carl Peterson better:

1) Hope that this does not blow up in his face (like so many other FA moves over the past few years), or

2) Be prepared to be shot by the KC faithful.

724065[/snapback]

Hey, they can still have Surtain....

Carl Peterson better:

1) Hope that this does not blow up in his face (like so many other FA moves over the past few years), or

2) Be prepared to be shot by the KC faithful.

724065[/snapback]

Be prepared for an offer to injured Ty Law. :D

I would have to put the Ravens as the undisputed #1 fantasy defense. With the Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincy having average to poor offenses they are looking good..........

I would have to put the Ravens as the undisputed #1 fantasy defense.  With the Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincy having average to poor offenses they are looking good..........

724358[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more...

I would have to put the Ravens as the undisputed #1 fantasy defense.  With the Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincy having average to poor offenses they are looking good..........

724358[/snapback]

Bengals will be a top 10 offense this year. We're in year 2 of the Palmer era. Don't forget what numbers he (and the whole team) were putting up on some pretty good teams before he got hurt.

You're all correct about the Ravens, they have definitely made some big upgrades.

724358[/snapback]

So that team that went 15-1 last year is an "average to poor offense" O.k. Thanks for telling me, I thought they were the best rushing team in the league last year and a very good offense. Shows what I know. :D

it's actually three words:

f'n kyle boller :D

724756[/snapback]

The addition of Mason will help Boller IMHO. He made great strides last season without Heap or a big time WR. I think he will be just fine, remember Dilfer?