[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions ACTUALLY sign Marcus Pollard

policyvote

Lions | Pollard Signs Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:43:45 -0800

ESPNews reports the Detroit Lions have signed free agent TE Marcus Pollard (Colts) to a three-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Praise be! Pollard is the first legit TE the Lions have had since before David Sloan and His Amazing Teflon Knees. Now all they need to do is sign Kennedy and draft for OL help . . . we'll be all set.

Peace

policy

Lions | Pollard Signs Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:43:45 -0800

ESPNews reports the Detroit Lions have signed free agent TE Marcus Pollard (Colts) to a three-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Praise be!  Pollard is the first legit TE the Lions have had since before David Sloan and His Amazing Teflon Knees.  Now all they need to do is sign Kennedy and draft for OL help . . . we'll be all set.

Peace

policy

724157[/snapback]

The Harrington-Pollard connection could very well be one worth watching in 2005. Good signing, IMO.

It'll be sad to see Marcus Pollard in another team's jersey. That's today's NFL though. Good signing by the Lions. Marcus is a great locker room guy. He's still fast for a TE, and has above average hands. Unfortunately, his blocking leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the Lions get somebody to help take the load at TE, 'cause Marcus always seems to get knicked up during the year unless he has some help.

The Harrington-Pollard connection could very well be one worth watching in 2005. Good signing, IMO.

724219[/snapback]

CRogers, RWilliams, KJones, MPollard ... wow. If Harrington can't break it open in the Drew Brees tradition of coming back from the crapper due to having the pieces in place, he's toast. Nice work, Lions!!

CRogers, RWilliams, KJones, MPollard ... wow.  If Harrington can't break it open in the Drew Brees tradition of coming back from the crapper due to having the pieces in place, he's toast.  Nice work, Lions!!

724330[/snapback]

That's what people said last year... and when they got Hakim and Schroeder... when Harrington bombs again this year, there will be those who make excuses for him again.

That's what people said last year... and when they got Hakim and Schroeder... when Harrington bombs again this year, there will be those who make excuses for him again.

724606[/snapback]

:D

Hakim and Schroeder are not Rogers and Williams. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Joey wasn't the problem with the offense. His numbers weren't great, but not horrible. I'm not making excuses for him. Yes he could play better, but some Lions fans are expecting perfection at the QB spot... it ain't gonna happen. It's the same thing with the Red Wings' goalies. Unless it's a shutout, you didn't do your job.

The addition of Pollard actually makes me feel like the Lions are going to open up the O a little and go downfield more. It will be nice to have a TE who can actually catch the ball when it's within arms length and even get yards after the catch. Pollard has been a great target in the red zone as well as someone who catches the rock for 1st downs. If Mooch and Tollner just take the chains off of Joey and let him throw the ball down field a bit then let's get a good read on what he can do. With the play calling of the last couple of years(and yes,the reciever corps they had to trot out may have had alot to do with it)has handcuffed Harrington and so now let's see what he's capable of. This O is a good WR #3 from possibly being a top 5 unit in the league. Then again, it is the off season and my Honolulu Blue tinted sunglasses always see better this time of year!!

:D

Hakim and Schroeder are not Rogers and Williams.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  Joey wasn't the problem with the offense.  His numbers weren't great, but not horrible.  I'm not making excuses for him.  Yes he could play better, but some Lions fans are expecting perfection at the QB spot... it ain't gonna happen.  It's the same thing with the Red Wings' goalies.  Unless it's a shutout, you didn't do your job.

724612[/snapback]

I wasn't happy when the Lions signed Hakim and Schroeder, but at the time, most Lions fans were ecstatic that they were "giving Joey someone to throw to". Joey's numbers may not have been bad, but his performance was. Throwing a 1 yd pass to the flat on third and 8 still counts as a completion.

And, although I know that there are those out there who are like this, I am not one of those who are always clamoring for the backup QB. I was excitied when they signed Mitchell, and I thought it was the wrong idea to bench him. I warmed up to Batch fairly quickly, and thought putting McMahon in was a bad thing. It only took a game or two to see McMahon's potential, and I was disappointed to see them draft Harrington. If Harrington would have shown me anything, I'm sure that I would have admitted that I was wrong... but so far, unfortunately, I've been proven correct that Harrington is a bum.