[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buckeye Report for KS2000

sacosud

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolverines on display in final spring practice

Sunday, April 17, 2005

BY JOHN HEUSER

News Sports Reporter

Sunny skies, toasty weather and a two-hour dose of University of Michigan football beckoned fans to Michigan Stadium to witness the team's final spring practice Saturday.

With an estimated 12,000 to 15,000 spectators on hand, the Wolverines ran through a litany of drills, described over the public address system by Jim Brandstatter, normally a radio man.

The crowd emitted a collective "ooooohh" when backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez flung a deep reception to wideout Steve Breaston, who had slipped by his defender.

From Our Advertiser

Although no longer a Wolverine, wide receiver Braylon Edwards was a center of attention, decked out in a bright pink shirt, white pants and plenty of bling. Soon to be a top draft pick by the NFL, Edwards chatted up former teammates on the field and signed autographs for fans.

As is custom, the practice ended with Michigan coach Lloyd Carr catching a touchdown pass.

Afterward, Carr and some of his players discussed what had been accomplished over the 15 spring practices, which began on March 19.

Among the impressions from the Wolverines, who will be chasing their third consecutive Big Ten title in the fall:

The offensive line is still unsettled. Last year's left guard, Rueben Riley, moved to center in the spring, but missed significant practice time because of injury.

"We still have to do some things there to solidify the position, but Rueben certainly has the athletic ability and he's smart," Carr said.

Redshirt freshman Alex Mitchell clearly impressed the coach during the spring, when Mitchell spent a week at center among other positions. The hole at left guard is expected to be filled by Leo Henige, who is not at full strength following knee surgery.

The tailback spot is loaded. Help is on the way for last year's standout freshman tailback Mike Hart, who led the Big Ten with 1,455 rushing yards. Hart's classmate Max Martin has practiced well, as has Kevin Grady, a freshman who enrolled at Michigan in January.

"Our situation in the backfield has the potential to be as good as we've had in quite some time," said Carr, who later added he would look at using two tailbacks at the same time.

"If you've got two guys who can really catch the football and block, that becomes a great set," he said. "I think we've got some guys to do that."

On the flip side, the fullback position - filled for the last two years by Kevin Dudley - is wide open.

Gutierrez will be ready for fall. A redshirt junior who was tabbed to be last season's starter before suffering a shoulder injury, Gutierrez has made a relatively speedy recovery from surgery. Originally expected to be out all spring, Gutierrez - a team leader - participated in everything that didn't involve contact.

That's good news for the Wolverines should starter Chad Henne, who threw for 2,743 yards and 25 touchdowns as a freshman last fall, go down.

"My strength is coming," Gutierrez said. "It seems like more and more every day, so hopefully it'll keep going that way."

Breaston is back. Hampered last season by injuries, Breaston has maintained the form he showed in the Rose Bowl, where he burned Texas in record-setting fashion.

"He's certainly got the potential to be a game-breaking football player," Carr said.

Redshirt freshman Doug Dutch and sophomore Adrian Arrington appear to be the leaders for the team's third wide receiver position, alongside starters Breaston and Jason Avant.

The defense is evolving. A base 3-4 team last season, with three down linemen and four linebackers, the Wolverines practiced from the 4-3 set the majority of the time this spring.

Senior defensive tackle Gabe Watson and other defenders said Michigan's coaches have been emphasizing pursuing the passer and being more patient when filling their rush lanes.

"The two games at the end of the season we lost (to Ohio State and Texas), it was because of scrambling quarterbacks," Watson said. "That's one of our biggest problems."

Leon Hall could be the next Marlin Jackson. With the first-team All-America cornerback Jackson gone, Hall, a junior, appears ready to become the stopper among the pass defenders.

"I think Leon Hall has a chance to be one of the better corners we've had here," Carr said. "He's made dramatic improvements."

The leader to fill the open cornerback position seems to be Grant Mason. Brandent Englemon appears to lead the competition for the vacant strong safety spot.

The final Michigan lineup, of course, won't be decided until fall camp, when the Wolverines will be far closer to the Sept. 3 opener against Northern Illinois than they were on a bright April day.

John Heuser can be reached at jheuser@annarbornews.com or (734) 994-

Here is a post for the Boys in Blue....May Notre Dame chew you up and spit you out!!!!! Sept. 10 would be a great day...Notre Dame upsets Michigan in the Big House and OSU wipes Texas.

783520[/snapback]

Thanks for the update Glabra. Notre Dame can't even get a decent coach to accept the position, let alone upset UM next season.

Incidently the 95 points matches the total points scored last year by the OSU offense during the entire regular season. :D

783973[/snapback]

I don't think that will be a problem this year. KS2000 come on over to

Columbus this year and I'll buy you a Ginn and Tonic. How is Kansas State looking

this year. :D

Incidently the 95 points matches the total points scored last year by the OSU offense during the entire regular season. :D

783973[/snapback]

I'm sure ya' meant 'Incidentally'. :D

Too early to predict greatness, but all indications are that this year's offense will definitely be more aggressive and open. The basic tenets of Tressel Ball will stay in place, but JT will as always adapt his team to its strength, which is experience/skills at QB and some scary weapons at WR!

Now they won't be hanging 40+ on everyone, but I expect a 30+PPG average, with a couple of 45 pt games.

Texas is in serious trouble!!!

Who among us hasn't done what they can to see some boobies?

I think Sacosud is referring to the freak on your team who was exposing himself repeatedly to women in public. Now again, if you come back with a 'Who among us hasn't done that?', I'd be concerned. :D

Well It's the eve of the Spring Game and I have my tickets in hand. The weather is gonna be Football weather...Cold ...Wet...PERFECT..I just hope that there is no injuries. Troy Smith was the first overall pick again this year by the Gray Squad. Justin Zwick was Scarlet's pick. This game is perfect to see young blood and plenty of it. I'm more excited about seeing Eric Haw for the first time. I also think Marcus Freeman is going to be the next star linebacker at OSU. The Offensive Line has be getting alot of pub latley. Eric Haw could overtake Pittman and be OSU starting rb in the fall but both will get loads of pt this season. I will be really trying to watch defensive lineman. I think getting more pressure on the Qb's this year is a must and we need a good DE to emerge. Jay Richardson is finally coming into his own but Spring and Fall are 2 diffrent things just ask Bam Childress. The Game is on tv around ohio and is being brocasted on web.

Go Bucks...I will give some thoughts tommorrow on what I witnessed.

Have fun sacosud.  You sound like a bigger college football fan than me.  I have never been to a spring game for UM.

790778[/snapback]

I love both College and Pro. OSU football is just alot of fun and I live so close that I get a chance to see alot of Buckeye games when I can find a ticket. I'll have my radio on as well to hear the draft. I can not get enough football. My wife says I'm obsessed!!!!! I'm not as bad as she makes me out too be but sometimes I push the envelop.

OSU spring game was pretty ugly!!! The weather was a mix of snow and rain for most of the morning leading to the game. The game was just as ugly. Gray lead by Troy Smith took the early lead. Justin Zwick led the Scarlet. OSU took the smart and safe way in this game pretty much North and South no real show on offense except Marcel Frost looked good on his touchdown. Troy Smith definatly looked better to me than Zwick. Marcus Freeman a young Buck at Linebacker looks like a future stud. Eric Haw and Antino Pittman both had moments. The linebackers had a field day but again the wr's and rb's pretty much was not making alot of cuts and Ginn was protected the whole game he really did not do anything Ginn like and I'm glad he did'nt. The whole time I was just hoping no one got hurt. The Buckeyes came away unscathed. The theme of the day....Can you believe this friggin weather a week ago it was 80 and sunny. Rain and snow at the same time...in April after the temp hit 80..That is not suppose to happen.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_Ten...ate_Preview.htm

Collegefootballnews.com  2005 OSU preview.

799263[/snapback]

Fiutak, Zemek and the rest of the CFN writers consistently provide the best and most in-depth college football analysis anywhere. Head and shoulders above the usual 'State U is returning 18 starters and should be good' stuff. They know what's up. So when they talk up the Bucks like this, I'm pumped.

We're loaded! The Silver Bullets are baaack babaaay!!