[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mark Clayton

CaP'N GRuNGe

Wow his athleticism looked pretty darn amazing. One thing I noticed early and was proven as the reel went on...the guy totally catches the ball with his body. Even on the passes he has to reach out with his arms, it seems as if he has to pull it back in and cradle it against his body before he has complete control. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be coached to use his hands, but this was the same knock on David Terrell and Koren Robinson as they came out.

I have said from day 1 that I want nothing to do with Edwards or Williams. Williams has only played 2 years of college ball and has not played football for a year. I have not seen Edwards play very much, so I can't say a whole lot about him, but Clayton is one hell of a receiver. If he was 6'3 rather than 5'11, he would be ranked right up there with if not above these other 2. Him and the other OU receivers made Jason White look like a superstar (not saying White was bad, but notice there is no talk of him in the upcoming draft). He is going to make someone a very good reciever.

I loved watching those 2 plays against the Longhorns! :D The only knock on him is that he is only 5'10"-5'11" range. The other wr's at the top of the draft, Williams, Edwards, and Williamson, are all well over 6'. You have to love the athleticism of Clayton. Seems to have great vision. Makes plays on the ball and is dangerous in the open field as this tape showed. His 40 times seem to be in the 4.40 to 4.43 range so he is plenty fast enough to play wr in the NFL. I would like to see him in a Titan uni if we trade down to the middle of the 1st round where I see Clayton going. Most sites that I have seen have him rated about even or a little behind Williamson.

You've got to be kidding? First of all, that ain't no NFL coverage that Clayton is running clean through there. He's a great leader, excellent change of direction, excellent vision, and he would probably be an excellent fit with a team like Jacksonville to team up across from Reggie Williams in 2006 as Williams moved to the X-receiver and Clayton became the Y after spending a year in the slot.

But there is no way you can compare the power and ball domination that Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards offer in the short yardage to game breaking elements.

Clayton is going to have to work at getting off the line against older, stronger, much better than Baylor's CB's. And he's gonna find the seams and seperations much tighter in the NFL secondaries where the ever popular 2-deep coverages and deep intermediate 4.5 245 pound LB drops close up and deliver serious punishment in a hurry. Clayton will need to get stronger, but has the intelligence and courage to become another Henry Ellard type of receiver and possibly returner.

Braylon Edwards though in my opinon has the talent and will to become a top tier fantasy WR, and I also think Mike Williams does too. I could see them being the next Moss and Owens in fantasy football.

Edited by dukdown

While he did do some impressive stuff there, I also have my doubts about how well he will do in the NFL. He does, as has been mentioned, catch the ball with his body. NFL safeties will have him lined up unless he learns to catch the ball with his hands. Can you say Santana Moss? That is who Clayton reminds me of. A WR his size is not going to run through arm tackles like that, not in the NFL. At best, I think he is something of a project. His strength is his elusiveness, but I don't see that as being enough.... against an NFL CB, he won't come down with those jump balls, especially with the cradle catches he makes. I would definitely take Williamson over Clayton.

Clayton is 5'11" so is

Chris Chambers

Laverneous Coles

Brandon Stokley

Joey Galloway

Peerless Price

Terry Glenn

Marvin Harrison

This is a group of Wrs that are 1 inch taller than Clayton standing 6'0''

Issac Bruce

Tory Holt

Reggie Wayne

Hines ward

David Given

Donte Stallworth

Brandon Lloyd

Rod Smith

Darryl Jackson

Donald Driver

Nate Burleson

Marty Booker

THese Wrs are smaller than Clayton

Derrick Mason is 5'10

Keary Colbert is 5'10

Kelly Campbell is 5'10

Steve Smith is 5'9

Santana Moss is 5'9

Deion Branch is 5'9

David Patten is 5'9

You guys who think he is too small must not be watching football on Sundays. Because Ive listed about 25 Wrs that are within an inch taller or smaller than Clayton, and Clayton has as much natural talent as anyone listed. Anyone who thinks Williams or Edwards are better are foolish imo. But its a moot point, until any of these 3 get on the field at the next level and show their skill..

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

He keeps listing himself at 5'11", but the combine has him at 5'10". At around 185, I think he is small. That in itself is not a reason to say he won't make it in the NFL, I think he will.... but I doubt he becomes a number 1 wideout, unless he changes some things, like craddle catching the ball. I dont expect us as FF freaks to agree on who has the biggest upside when half the NFL teams can't agree on it either. I think there are several WR's in this draft who are further along in the fundamentals than Clayton is. He has relied on his amazing athleticism so far.... I'm just saying that won't be enough in the NFL unless he can develop more.

Actually, we are pretty close in our assessments Sarge.... I agree that in several years he may well be a very good NFL WR. You have certainly seen him much more than I have. His size is a disadvantage, but as you noted, that does NOT mean he cant be an elite NFL WR on it's own. He has a boatload of talent, no doubt about that....

While he did do some impressive stuff there, I also have my doubts about how well he will do in the NFL. He does, as has been mentioned, catch the ball with his body. NFL safeties will have him lined up unless he learns to catch the ball with his hands. Can you say Santana Moss? That is who Clayton reminds me of. A WR his size is not going to run through arm tackles like that, not in the NFL. At best, I think he is something of a project. His strength is his elusiveness, but I don't see that as being enough.... against an NFL CB, he won't come down with those jump balls, especially with the cradle catches he makes. I would definitely take Williamson over Clayton.

753138[/snapback]

I noticed some of the craddle catching as well, but also noticed plenty of arms outstreched picture perfect touchdown grabs with his hands too. Not affraid to go up and make the catch in traffic is big plus, as well as a great route runner. The route running seems to be the biggest miss for WR's including R. Moss. Moss doesn't do much over the middle, mostly he just runs the post pattern.

Clayton reminds me of R. Smith. Especially the way he runs. I think Clayton is a little faster though.

I liked what I saw, but my money is on Matt Jones to eventually out-perform all of the aforementioned Wideouts.

Precise route runner, sick speed, great hands, and 6-6.

Someone is going to get a steal in the 2nd round.

Any you guys watch Mike Mayock's coverage on NFL network? At senior bowl, he made some of the best CB prospects look silly.

Any you guys watch Mike Mayock's coverage on NFL network?  At senior bowl, he made some of the best CB prospects look silly.

754663[/snapback]

:D I've seen the NFL Network make the Bucs of the 80's look like a dynasty. Jones Schmones.

• 2 weeks later...
I liked what I saw, but my money is on Matt Jones to eventually out-perform all of the aforementioned Wideouts. 

Precise route runner, sick speed, great hands, and 6-6. 

754663[/snapback]

"Precise route runner"? I don't know how true that could be, considering he hasn't even played the position before.

"Precise route runner"? I don't know how true that could be, considering he hasn't even played the position before.

778362[/snapback]

no joke, that will take yrs to develop. His athletic ability is unquestioned, but lets not sugarcoat the facts.