[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Rumors

spain

I heard a rumor that the Texans are concerned because Dom Davis cant stay healthy. They will take Cedric Benson if he slips down to them. it sounds crazy I know, but thats what I heard.

I heard a rumor that the Texans are concerned because Dom Davis cant stay healthy.  They will take Cedric Benson if he slips down to them.  it sounds crazy I know, but thats what I heard.

757355[/snapback]

It does sound a little crazy, but if he were to slip all the way to 13, then maybe it wouldn't be that stupid.

Ive been saying this to Z for weeks, and he doesnt think so.

757369[/snapback]

Per houstontexans.com: The Texans already have two young backs in Davis and Tony Hollings. If Houston dipped into the running back pool, it probably wouldn’t be until the second day. Tennessee’s Cedric Houston, Virginia’s Alvin Pearman and Walter Reyes of Syracuse are some of the more familiar names you might see in the latter rounds.

Even though it would be tempting for the Texans to take Benson if he fell that far, I seriously doubt that they would. This is a pretty deep RB class and they can find another serviceable back in the 2nd or 3rd round to go with Hollings and Wells to backup Davis. There are much more pressing needs than RB for them. If Benson did fall that far and Barron was already gone, I believe that they would probably trade down to a lower first to get Jammal Brown or a quality secondary WR and pick up some extra picks. But like when Buffalo took McGahee a few years ago with Henry already on board, I guess you can never rule out anything 100%.

Nobody around here was too excited about Dom Davis last year. 

I think that each year, more teams pick players based on quality and not need.  With free agency the way it is, players don't stay around anyway.

757397[/snapback]

True, but Davis did finish the season pretty strong. And I still say trading the pick (if he was available at 13) and getting Brown, Clayton, Williamson or some DE/OLB help would provide that quality. Looking at the order I wonder, if Benson dropped that far and Houston did pass on him, does anyone think that Carolina might take a shot at him?? Given the injury history of both David and Foster it could make sense for them as well. Just a thought!

I can't think of a reason why the Texans wouldn't nab a WR in the 1st round, assuming they got good value. They sorely need more receiving weapons.

They spent their first two picks at line backer and corner last year, but still have one of the softest pass-defenses in the NFL. Some in Houston feel that their secondary is fine and that what needs to be done is improve their pass rush. So I could also see at least one of their early picks going towards improving their pass defense, however they feel that can be done best.

True, but Davis did finish the season pretty strong.  And I still say trading the pick (if he was available at 13) and getting Brown, Clayton, Williamson or some DE/OLB help would provide that quality.  Looking at the order I wonder, if Benson dropped that far and Houston did pass on him, does anyone think that Carolina might take a shot at him??  Given the injury history of both David and Foster it could make sense for them as well.  Just a thought!

757406[/snapback]

I could see the panthers taking Benson. But I could also seeing them take Troy Williamson or Mark Clayton..

True, but Davis did finish the season pretty strong.  And I still say trading the pick (if he was available at 13) and getting Brown, Clayton, Williamson or some DE/OLB help would provide that quality.  Looking at the order I wonder, if Benson dropped that far and Houston did pass on him, does anyone think that Carolina might take a shot at him??  Given the injury history of both David and Foster it could make sense for them as well.  Just a thought!

757406[/snapback]

Z: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle said on a local sports talk radio station in Nashville yesterday that he believes that the Texans have targeted Benson with their first pick. if he is there, McClain says they grab him...

I can't think of a reason why the Texans wouldn't nab a WR in the 1st round, assuming they got good value.  They sorely need more receiving weapons. 

They spent their first two picks at line backer and corner last year, but still have one of the softest pass-defenses in the NFL.  Some in Houston feel that their secondary is fine and that what needs to be done is improve their pass rush.  So I could also see at least one of their early picks going towards improving their pass defense, however they feel that can be done best.

757424[/snapback]

Personally, I think they are fine at WR with Johnson, Armstrong, Bradford, & cast.

IMO, their real need is on the OL. Carr needs some time in the pocket.

Personally, I think they are fine at WR with Johnson, Armstrong, Bradford, & cast.

IMO, their real need is on the OL.  Carr needs some time in the pocket.

757494[/snapback]

I'm not a big fan of either Gaffney or Bradford, as neither have ever managed to exceed 700 receiving yards. And since Andre J. had like 1142 receiving yards as a rookie, I'm not inclided to blame either Gaffney or Bradford's less than stellar production on the Texans' passing system.

I like Armstrong, but as a 3rd or 4th WR.

I think another stud WR to compliment Andre J. would make for a more potent offense than the addition of yet another RB.

I agree with you that the Texans could use more help on the O-line. They used Billy Miller primarily as a blocking TE last year and that seemed to help. But honestly, I haven't been keeping up with the rookie draft all that much. Is there an impact O-line player that would be available for the Texans' first pick?

Edited by yo mama

I'm not a big fan of either Gaffney or Bradford, as neither have ever managed to exceed 700 receiving yards.  And since Andre J. had like 1142 receiving yards as a rookie, I'm not inclided to blame either Gaffney or Bradford's less than stellar production on the Texans' passing system.

I like Armstrong, but as a 3rd or 4th WR. 

I think another stud WR to compliment Andre J. would make for a more potent offense than the addition of yet another RB.

I agree with you that the Texans could use more help on the O-line.  They used Billy Miller primarily as a blocking TE last year and that seemed to help.  But honestly, I haven't been keeping up with the rookie draft all that much.  Is there an impact O-line player that would be available for the Texans' first pick?

757522[/snapback]

Well, Kiper has them taking Alex Barron. A few picks later, he lists Brown going to NO. I watched the combine, but glazed over a bit during the OL drills. That said, I have no idea related to their expected impact.

13. Houston Texans: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State

Texans quarterback David Carr is improving but needs more protection, making the versatile Barron an ideal fit. He is very strong in the lower body and has quick feet in pass protection.

16. New Orleans Saints: Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Brown is equally adept in pass and run blocking, using his quick feet and long arms to move defensive linemen away from the action.

Usually, I don't like taking OL in round one, as I think you can always grab quality offensive linemen in later rounds. With that mindset, I guess an impact offensive weapon wouldn't hurt. Having said that, it seems I am contradicting my original post.

IMO, Bradford's speed is enough to loosen things up deep, but the lack of a threatening TE down the hash and D. Davis' lack of break-away speed tends to condense the field with AJ doubled constantly.

After thinking this through some more, I think an impact TE or break-away RB would be a solid choice.

Edited by gspot

757494[/snapback]

IMO, Bradford's speed is enough to loosen things up deep, but the lack of a threatening TE down the hash and D. Davis' lack of break-away speed tends to condense the field with AJ doubled constantly. 

757595[/snapback]

Bradford is a free agent and has visited several other teams, but so far hasnt had any serious talks with anyone.

Houston is definitely one of the wild cards in the first round. I think that O-line is their biggest NEED, but the temptation to select a playmaking WR will make both positions equal priorities to the Casserly & Capers.

However...if Barron doesn't slide to them, I think they opt for D-line help (Travis Johnson or Marcus Spears) and wait for round 2 to take the best available WR or OL.

Bradford is a free agent and has visited several other teams, but so far hasnt had any serious talks with anyone.

757640[/snapback]

Correct.

I doubt that we will be seeing Corey Bradford wearing a Texans uniform this coming season.

After thinking this through some more, I think an impact TE or break-away RB would be a solid choice.

757595[/snapback]

Maybe, but I just don't see the Texans using their TE primarily as a receiving target. But I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct.

I doubt that we will be seeing Corey Bradford wearing a Texans uniform this coming season.

757692[/snapback]

Looks like Bradford will remain a Texan, after all.

Edited by yo mama

Looks like Bradford will remain a Texan, after all.

774467[/snapback]

Yeah, but that still doesnt change the fact that Bradford is an up and down receiver who can have a big game and then disappear for weeks at a time.

Yeah, but that still doesnt change the fact that Bradford is an up and down receiver who can have a big game and then disappear for weeks at a time.

774478[/snapback]

Oh, I'm not big on Bradford, or anything. But if he had signed with another team I think that would have increased the chances of the Texans drafting a WR early. With Bradford on board for this year, I think that means the will be getting help on the line for sure.