[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surtain trade soon?

budlitebrad

I just saw that apparently the Chiefs agreed to give Surtain a multi-year contract extension, contingent on the Dolphins trading him. Just a little FYI to keep an eye on.

761711[/snapback]

I heard that too on Sirius radio, but they said that KC only offered a 4th rounder, which the Fins refused.

Surtain, K.C. agree, but Saban balks

By Alex Marvez and Ethan Skolnick

Staff Writers

Posted April 1 2005

DAVIE -- Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed in principle to a multiyear contract extension that includes an eight-digit signing bonus provided a trade between the teams can be worked out, sources said.

The Chiefs reportedly are offering a fourth-round draft choice while the Dolphins are believed to be insistent upon a selection in the first three rounds.

Kansas City has its own first- and second-round picks as well as a third-round compensational pick awarded by the NFL that cannot be traded. The Chiefs traded their 2005 third-round pick last season to Philadelphia as part of a package to acquire guard John Welbourn.

"If someone else wants to work a business deal for [surtain] to be on their team, fine," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Thursday. "But we will not compromise on our price. I'm not going to tell you what that is, but it's not to be compromised."

Saban gave Surtain permission to shop his services in February after it appeared the three-time Pro Bowl selection would be unable to land the kind of lucrative contract he was seeking from the Dolphins. Surtain is scheduled to earn $5.85 million in 2005, the final season in a four-year contract extension he signed in 2001.

"I like Patrick and want him to be on our team," Saban said. "If he's not, it's going to be because it can't work out business-wise. It's as simple as that."

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said last week that his team had interest in Surtain and free-agent cornerback Ty Law. Vermeil hopes to acquire a veteran cornerback before the April 23 draft to help improve the NFL's lowest-ranked secondary in 2004.

Surtain had drawn interest from other teams, with Minnesota, Oakland and Seattle among the leading suitors. But no trade was close to happening because of the Dolphins' compensation demands and the fact a contract extension would need to be reached with Surtain, who could become an unrestricted free agent in 2006. The Vikings and Seahawks addressed the need for cornerbacks by signing free agents Fred Smoot and Kelly Herndon, respectively.

Surtain carries an $8.4 million salary cap number, which is almost 10 percent of the Dolphins' $85.5 million cap allowance. But Saban said the Dolphins can handle that number and said the franchise tag could be used to retain Surtain's rights for future seasons, although that would place a greater strain on the team's cap. The one-year guaranteed salary for a franchise cornerback in 2005 is $8.8 million and is expected to increase in 2006.

"I don't know that we can sign him long-term," Saban said. "It depends on what happens in the future. We can't make it work right now relative to what they want and where we are."

Surtain, 28, has been a Dolphins starter since 1999. Reggie Howard and Will Poole are the leading contenders to replace Surtain in the starting lineup if a trade is completed.

Alex Marvez can be reached at amarvez@sun-sentinel.com. Ethan J. Skolnick can be reached at eskolnick@sun-sentinel.com.

My guess is that KC will pony up the 2nd round pick for him. They should, since Peterson drafts like a blind pool player.

That being said, if Miami has no other offers on the table for him, I could see Peterson holding out for the 4th rounder. He's an ass like that.

My guess is that KC will pony up the 2nd round pick for him. They should, since Peterson drafts like a blind pool player.

That being said, if Miami has no other offers on the table for him, I could see Peterson holding out for the 4th rounder. He's an ass like that.

761971[/snapback]

No way will Saban just "give him away" for a 4th rounder. The Dolphins are looking at extending his contract to get him under the cap for '05 and then go from there. KC would be getting a great deal on a reliable CB that plays great man on man and is also a sound tackler for only a 2nd rounder. Saban knows this, Surtain knows this, and now Peterson needs to realize if he wants him in KC, he's gonna have to pony up that 2nd rounder.

Edited by 'canes2004

Until KC signs him, I don't want to hear all this other garbage. It's a media ploy by Peterson and he's a proven jack@$$. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for Surtain. We draft like crap and have never had much pan out on our picks anyway. They will surely go for a 2nd. Pull the trigger you f'n moron Peterson.

761971[/snapback]

Agreed Surtain is tier one CB material :D

i dont know, hes on the borderline. his numbers aren't outstanding (37.5 tackles 4 INTs). id say he tops the tier two chart

763102[/snapback]

I believe this reflects the fact that most pass plays go away from Surtain and focus more on Maddisen's side. Not to mention they don't have a number for passes broken up as well. He rarely get beats deep and a couple of the times he did this year, that I saw, was due to the poor pass play defense of the Dolphins safeties over the top on deep post routes.

I think he'll have an immeadiate impact on KC's pass defense if they have the sack to offer up enough for him.

Edited by 'canes2004

Until KC signs him, I don't want to hear all this other garbage. It's a media ploy by Peterson and he's a proven jack@$$. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for Surtain. We draft like crap and have never had much pan out on our picks anyway. They will surely go for a 2nd. Pull the trigger you f'n moron Peterson.

763020[/snapback]

:D I never did understand this lovefest between L. Hunt and Peterson. Most GMs would have been canned long ago.

I agree Hat Trick----Peterson is both a jack@$$ and a moron! :D

:D  I never did understand this lovefest between L. Hunt and Peterson.  Most GMs would have been canned long ago.

I agree Hat Trick----Peterson is both a jack@$$ and a moron! :D

765055[/snapback]

The lovefest is that the Chiefs net about $35 million dollars a year profit, money that is directly attributed to Carl Peterson.

Hunt sucks his nob for that kind of jack.

Here's what I think will happen:

The Chiefs will trade down in the first round to try to pick up an extra 2nd round pick. They will then make the trade with Miami for Surtain with their extra 2nd round pick.

They may also do this for an extra third rounder, and maybe Miami lets him go for a 3rd rounder.

Either way I see KC trading down to get the extra pick to make this happen.

Edited by Chief Dick