[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new Pat Tillman USO Center

seminoles

Dunn, Izzo celebrate opening of Tillman Center

By Pete Abitante

Special to NFL.com

BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (April 3, 2005) -- Before a crowd of more than 700 American and coalition soldiers, Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn and New England Patriots linebacker Larry Izzo helped dedicate the Pat Tillman USO Center.

Conceived by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and made possible by an NFL gift of $250,000 to the USO, the center honors the memory of former Arizona Cardinal and Army Ranger Pat Tillman who died in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. It is the first USO facility in Afghanistan.

"We have been associated with the USO since our first players' tour to Vietnam in 1966 and are proud to extend our support in memory of Pat Tillman in this tangible way," said Tagliabue, who was represented at the ceremony by NFL senior director Pete Abitante. "Pat personified the best values of America and the National Football League. He was an extraordinary team player, whether it was with the Cardinals or Army Rangers. This is part of Pat's tremendous legacy to his extended military family."

"Every soldier learns that selfless service should put the welfare of the nation above his own," said Col. Robert Algermissen, base operations commander. "Pat Tillman did just that. He stood for loyalty, duty, respect and honor. He gave up a lucrative NFL career to join the Army and this center is dedicated to Pat Tillman for having the courage to follow his convictions. We are honored that the NFL would fund this building and grateful for the support of the USO."

The 2,700 square foot center will serve military personnel stationed at Bagram, as well as thousands of troops transitioning to and from Kuwait, Qatar, Iraq and Europe. The center offers free Internet and e-mail access, free refreshments, large-screen TVs, a lounge and game room.

"This is a great day for the USO and for the troops who will come through here in the future," said John Hanson, senior vice president of communications for the USO. "We have had a tremendous partnership with the NFL for nearly 40 years and this facility would not have been possible without the NFL. We look forward to continuing and expanding our relationship in the future."

"I am honored to be here in Afghanistan," Dunn told the crowd, who along with Izzo is in the middle of a 10-day USO tour. "We are incredibly fortunate to have you serving our country. Often times we are called heroes, but you are the real heroes. Thank you for all that you are doing and God bless."

"My father spent 23 years in the Army, and after spending three days here, I understand even better why he liked it so much," said Izzo. "I know that when you played against Pat Tillman, you had to bring your 'A' game. He was intense, he was intelligent and he was tough. But above all, he was a warrior and a true American hero. I am honored to take part in today's ceremony. I may play for the Patriots, but you are the real patriots."

The players, who visited bases in Kuwait and outlying parts of Afghanistan, threw out 350 autographed footballs to the crowd and signed photos and posed for pictures for nearly two hours after the ceremony.

More than 300 American soldiers flew in from Kandahar for the event. Also attending were soldiers from South Korea, Poland, France, Spain and Egypt.